• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Day #1 for the new leader at UMD! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
      Day #1 for the new leader at UMD! Good luck
      First day in office and she's already been named as an assistant coach for the U18 team. Not too shabby!

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        . A strong recruiting effort is essential to any rebuild, but as others have alluded to in this thread there is more to it than that. Case in point "Edmonton Oilers".
        Harvard rides to Edmonton's rescue in the person of new GM Peter Chiarelli '87? Time will tell....

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
          Harvard rides to Edmonton's rescue in the person of new GM Peter Chiarelli '87? Time will tell....
          That was an excellent hire by the Oilers (My Fav NHL team until we got our own team in town in '92). Chiarelli is from here.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            First day in office and she's already been named as an assistant coach for the U18 team. Not too shabby!
            So, she will be working under Minnesota's Joel Johnston - probably just a sneaky underhanded way to learn what she knows!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              So, she will be working under Minnesota's Joel Johnston - probably just a sneaky underhanded way to learn what she knows!
              Or the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                Or the other way around.
                I was going to make that joke first but it occurred to me that it would be him inviting her to join not her inviting herself.

Really a topic for another thread but I have seen coaches interact outside the game and, unsurprisingly, witnessed that there are some who like or dislike each other that is separate from the games their teams have played. I take this offer to mean that they like/respect each other enough that they enjoy working together. That to me is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  I was going to make that joke first but it occurred to me that it would be him inviting her to join not her inviting herself.
                  My guess is that she made this commitment before getting the UMD job and has decided to go ahead with it. I think it means that she will be gone for a few games during the season. That's a gutsy decision, if true.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                    My guess is that she made this commitment before getting the UMD job and has decided to go ahead with it. I think it means that she will be gone for a few games during the season. That's a gutsy decision, if true.
                    The exact IIHF Women's U-18 tournament dates have not been published yet, but it typically starts in late December (after Christmas), culminating the first weekend of January. That said (and after consulting a calendar), it may go through the second weekend this coming year - January 9 & 10 - which could conflict with collegiate games.

The tournament will be at the Meridian Centre in St. Catharines, Ontario.
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      The exact IIHF Women's U-18 tournament dates have not been published yet, but it typically starts in late December (after Christmas), culminating the first weekend of January. That said (and after consulting a calendar), it may go through the second weekend this coming year - January 9 & 10 - which could conflict with collegiate games.

The tournament will be at the Meridian Centre in St. Catharines, Ontario.
                      Typically USA Hockey holds the Winter Camp in late December, with the 18 team in attendence, and the tourney usualy starts around the sixth of the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                        No different than some other college coaches in the past making a commitment to a national team whether it be four nations or some other event/team during the season.

Comment

No different than some other college coaches in the past making a commitment to a national team whether it be four nations or some other event/team during the season.
                          I would have to guess most colleges / ADs would embrace one of their coaches getting an opportunity to coach at the national level. It adds to the coach's perceived value to the college program he or she represents and in theory it SHOULD help on the recruiting trail although it never helped at poor St. Cloud when Mr. Fetter was there and coaching with the Canadian U18 team for a couple of years. He wasn't able to translate that national team position into a single recruit for the Huskies most likely because of his reputation as a goofball of a coach.

Comment

That was an excellent hire by the Oilers (My Fav NHL team until we got our own team in town in '92). Chiarelli is from here.
                            I thank Peter (slightly) for the first Cup the Bruins have won since the Orr era although perhaps Mike O'Connell had more to do with it than he did as Mike signed Tim Thomas from the oblivion of a Euro league someplace and Timmy arguably put on the best playoff performance by a goaltender since Dryden in '71 in stealing the cup for the B's in '13.

I do wish however that he studied accounting while he was at the YAHHD and playing in the Bean Pot!

PC has left the franchise tight up against the cap and hamstrung with a bunch of role players on inflated deals. B's will be in purgatory now for 2-3 years as a result unless Don Sweeney (another Harvard Dman but with a much better NHL pedigree) comes in and moves Chara and others to clear some cap space.

As for Peter, from back in his days with the Sens, he was arrogant....he proves the old adage " you can always tell a Harvard man, you just can't tell him much". Edm. has some good young talent but be careful what you wish in the what was the former City of Champions he may send the Blu/orange to purgatory as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Trinity11 View Post
                              I thank Peter (slightly) for the first Cup the Bruins have won since the Orr era although perhaps Mike O'Connell had more to do with it than he did as Mike signed Tim Thomas from the oblivion of a Euro league someplace and Timmy arguably put on the best playoff performance by a goaltender since Dryden in '71 in stealing the cup for the B's in '13.

I do wish however that he studied accounting while he was at the YAHHD and playing in the Bean Pot!

PC has left the franchise tight up against the cap and hamstrung with a bunch of role players on inflated deals. B's will be in purgatory now for 2-3 years as a result unless Don Sweeney (another Harvard Dman but with a much better NHL pedigree) comes in and moves Chara and others to clear some cap space.

As for Peter, from back in his days with the Sens, he was arrogant....he proves the old adage " you can always tell a Harvard man, you just can't tell him much". Edm. has some good young talent but be careful what you wish in the what was the former City of Champions he may send the Blu/orange to purgatory as well
                              Not that any of this has anything to do with the subject of the thread, but the Bruins won the Cup in 2011. Rask was in the cage when the B's finished as the 2013 runner-up to CHI.
                              Ducks Fly Together

Comment

John Harrington is the new MSU women's hockey coach:

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...506155202.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X