Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Regardless, it's pretty well documented that Duluth doesn't care much about UMD women's hockey.
    Despite their mediocre record and all the coaching turmoil their average attendance was 4th best in the nation and did exceed that of any team in the East.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ICallBS View Post
      Ok Trinity11, I've taken your advice and checked your previous posts.
      Fact #1: You say you are a Trinity alumnus.
      Fact #2: The only times you have ever posted on this forum were to advocate and campaign for Jenny Potter.
      Fact #3: In a previous post you seemed to have accurate inside information that Jenny Potter was soon to be hired at Trinity.
      Fact #4: You can't resist the temptation to go off on a tangent and rail against the previous Olympic coach who had the audacity to shun Jenny.
      Fact #5: You suggest that in your free time you recently decided to road-trip to Montreal to watch Jenny Potter play for the Boston Blades against Montreal.

So let me see if I've got this straight:
      You paint the picture that you are a Trinity alumnus and booster - seemingly a very passionate one at that. Yet you come on this site and advocate for UMD or Ohio State to pull the rug out from under your own schools feet and hire your irreplaceable coach away from you? Hmmm.

LOL. In any event, Trinity11 (AKA: Jenny or Rob Potter), I wish you good luck. I sincerely hope you land one of those jobs.

ICALL: nice appellation BTW. I am flattered that you spent so much time to review my prior posts. Clearly you have too much time on your hands. I surmise that you are probably the same individual that under other aliases alludes to baggage that doesn't exist. It's easy to throw stones when you can remain anonymous. As it appears you have only one supporter on this thread, I am hopeful that you are indeed perceptive enough to realize that your thinly veiled agenda of hate is truly BS.

In order to dispel your contention that I am either Jenny or Rob Potter, here are some hints as to my identity. I am the all time leading scoring defenseman in my Eastern Massachusetts High School's history racking up 130 points in 3 seasons 1978-1981. Two of those three seasons, we were league champions. During that time frame, we played in the state tournament and the old Boston Garden 3 times. It was an awesome experience. I was fortunate to play on HS All Star teams with the likes of Bobby Carpenter, Tom Barrasso, Rich Costello and Bob Sweeney. I am indeed a Trinity alum, having played hockey there for the veteran mentor John Dunham long before women's hockey was even a consideration. In fact, my frosh year I was second on the team in scoring posting respectable 11g, 11 a for 22 points from the blue line. From there, I transferred to another NESCAC where I played for two additional seasons. While I loved playing there, I was relegated to an energy role as a third or fourth line winger or center. I then attended law school in Boston and at the same time returned to my HS where I assisted coaching the boys hockey team. Upon graduation and passing the bar, I got married. My wife and I have 4 wonderful children (3 girls and a boy ) all of whom have since gone on to top Eastern colleges. From 2006 to 2008 I returned again to my HS, this time to assist coaching the girls team. It was a wonderful experience and we won a state championship. In case you cannot tell, I love the game of hockey. I have never been to Minnesota.

Along the way, my law practice led me to work with some members of the 1980 Olympic Team and ultimately some NHLers. During that process, I was fortunate to attend the 1992 Olympics in SLC and that is when I had the chance to watch Jenny Potter play for the first time. Women's hockey interested me because at the time 2 of my girls were playing. I watched every game the USA women played. I concluded that women's hockey was in fact the purest form of the sport. I was impressed with her tenacity, on ice smarts and unyielding work ethic. It is this same work ethic and commitment to excellence that has made her one of the most decorated women's players in US history and the same ethic that led her to turn a .500 program in Hartford to NESCAC Champions and a berth in the NCAA Tournament in a year's time. There really is no legitimate dispute that she is an excellent and soon to be great coach. From what I have read (again, I have never met her) she is also a great mother to her two children and a devoted partner to her husband Rob ( I have not met him either).

Why did I regale you all with my hockey background? Why not, this is a hockey site isn't it ? While I have enjoyed some modest success playing and coaching at the lower levels of the sport and have had the chance to be on the ice with some truly great players and later in life work with them, it is only to note the common bond that any of us who have ever laced them up in a freezing locker room or stood behind the bench in the last minute of 1-1 game as your players battle for a loose puck to clear the zone share. It is to demonstrate the passion and love I had and still have for the sport. Hockey is unique in that unlike any other sport, the bonds that we form and share are not fleeting, they last a lifetime. While we compete relentlessly with one another, there is a level of respect and honor that transcends the game.

Your bogus and hateful post(s)??? does/do a disservice to Coach Potter and to the game itself. Undoubtedly, you can't and never could compete with the likes of a Jenny Potter and now you are left with nothing better to do but throw cowardly cheap shots her way. Make no mistake, there is no honor in that.

Comment

So....

First, it definitely does not surprise me you are a lawyer given that post.

Second, what a load of arrogant obnoxious c@@p. I'm mad because I thought that was my deal on this forum. 😳. Also, you were only at Trinity for a year or two and didn't graduate from there. Why the fervor for the place you left?

Third, she has been at Trinity two seasons not one.

Last, she isn't on the final candidate list at UMD despite your proclamations of greatness. Make of that what you want.
        Last edited by HockeyEast33; 03-25-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

it looks to me like Potter did not meet the requirements for the job if you look at the posted requirements
          the AD himself is not a former Bulldog, and sometimes people, myself included, make more of being an alumni than should be
          will be interesting to see who is being interviewed for the OSU & MSU-M jobs

BTW, some people are still mad at Potter for leaving U of MN for UMD, just like the twins for UND, and even a much lesser known player that helped defeat the Gophers twice this year

then there are the fringe loonies who don't like her husband for various reasons, or even that she has a husband, ... or kids, ... or is married, or won gold and they didn't, or won an NCAA championship and they didn't, .... or has a head college coaching job and they don't , ...
          Last edited by pokechecker; 03-25-2015, 08:33 AM. Reason: Loon: state bird of MN

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity11 View Post
            It is this same work ethic and commitment to excellence that has made her one of the most decorated women's players in US history and the same ethic that led her to turn a .500 program in Hartford to NESCAC Champions and a berth in the NCAA Tournament in a year's time..
            Did Trinity not have a successful winning program a couple of years ago under McGee ?.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Despite their mediocre record and all the coaching turmoil their average attendance was 4th best in the nation and did exceed that of any team in the East.
              You just had to bring facts into the poster's rant, didn't you? Way to go all Midwestern elitist on the bit.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Did Trinity not have a successful winning program a couple of years ago under McGee ?.
                Coach McPhee had success beginning in '07-'08 (18-5-3) and took the Bantams to the NCAAs in '09-'10 (21-5-2 and a 2-1 loss in Pine Valley). He left after the '10-'11 season and overall was 100-97-17 in 9 seasons at Trinity.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  Big name in Duluth!!?? Who would that be the local high school coach? Regardless, it's pretty well documented that Duluth doesn't care much about UMD women's hockey.

Sisti has demonstrated an ability to attract players to a location most would not naturally be interested in and that is a plus for him at UMD. And you can say you are not impressed by Mercyhurst and dump on Mercyhurst's wins against weak teams, but they made the NCAAs year after year without an autobid so I'm thinking they might have won a few games against some pretty good teams.... You underestimate the importance in already being a winning coach vs potential. Sisti knows how to win - isn't that what you want at a program that says it wants to be pre-eminent?

The UMD AD hasn't impressed me as the sharpest tool in the shed during the Miller debacle, so why would you think he could identify the next successful unproven coach based on their potential? I do think he might believe he can, but why would you? In the end, his financial constraints will probably limit his options and he may have to pick a coach on potential, but if he can get a proven winner he would be a fool to go another route.
                  A few things. Everyone knows the money angle was only used to stay away from the real reasons (not graduating players, having zero community involvement and falling off as a perennial NCAA Tourney participant) Miller was let go. I would bet large amounts that the next UMD coach signs on the dotted line at $120K or more.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but sports is all about "What have you done for me lately?" Harvard just made a run to the national title game after winning their conference tournament and sharing a reg season crown. Their players graduate on time and play a disciplined game. They respect the coaching staff, their teammates and above all the H on their sweaters.

The last two highly successful seasons and track record of grooming student-athletes into amazing young women make me think UMD sees Crowell as the choice that is hip now with it and wow, but we can agree to disagree.

At the end of the day,none of us know anything anyway, right?
                  Ducks Fly Together

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity11 View Post
                    ICALL: nice appellation BTW. I am flattered that you spent so much time to review my prior posts. Clearly you have too much time on your hands. I surmise that you are probably the same individual that under other aliases alludes to baggage that doesn't exist. It's easy to throw stones when you can remain anonymous. As it appears you have only one supporter on this thread, I am hopeful that you are indeed perceptive enough to realize that your thinly veiled agenda of hate is truly BS.

Your bogus and hateful post(s)??? does/do a disservice to Coach Potter and to the game itself. Undoubtedly, you can't and never could compete with the likes of a Jenny Potter and now you are left with nothing better to do but throw cowardly cheap shots her way. Make no mistake, there is no honor in that.
                    Wow! I see that Rationality has left the building.

"thinly veiled agenda" ????
                    "bogus and hateful posts" ????
                    "throw cowardly cheap shots her way" ????

At the risk of triggering you to write a 5 page essay, please clue me in: exactly how was my post an attack on Jenny Potter? I did no such thing. I don't hate Jenny Potter, nor do I have an "agenda".
                    Quite the opposite. As I said, I join many others in sincerely hoping she lands a D1 job somewhere.
                    I simply find it amusing (as do others) that you feel the need to clandestinely campaign for your wife on this forum. Talk about having too much time on your hands! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
                      A few things. Everyone knows the money angle was only used to stay away from the real reasons (not graduating players, having zero community involvement and falling off as a perennial NCAA Tourney participant) Miller was let go. I would bet large amounts that the next UMD coach signs on the dotted line at $120K or more.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but sports is all about "What have you done for me lately?" Harvard just made a run to the national title game after winning their conference tournament and sharing a reg season crown. Their players graduate on time and play a disciplined game. They respect the coaching staff, their teammates and above all the H on their sweaters.

The last two highly successful seasons and track record of grooming student-athletes into amazing young women make me think UMD sees Crowell as the choice that is hip now with it and wow, but we can agree to disagree.

At the end of the day,none of us know anything anyway, right?
                      Not disagreeing with anything you have said above. Just reminding that UMD is experiencing a budget crisis that has gone public in the last couple years, much more recent than the hiring of Miller.

I think the fiasco around Miller's not being rehired is possibly a result of some mismanagement by the AD. But I think it's more conclusive evidence that Miller is a pain in the r**r, than conclusive the AD is incompetent.

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                        Not disagreeing with anything you have said above. Just reminding that UMD is experiencing a budget crisis that has gone public in the last couple years, much more recent than the hiring of Miller.

I think the fiasco around Miller's not being rehired is possibly a result of some mismanagement by the AD. But I think it's more conclusive evidence that Miller is a pain in the r**r, than conclusive the AD is incompetent.
                        No doubt there is a budget crisis of sorts, but the athletic department is on much more solid footing financially under Berlo. When Bob Nielson ran the show money leaked out of the department's coffers like a sieve.

Obviously the salary of the UMD women's hockey coach had to be scaled back, but they're not going to pay peanuts as some have suggested. I find it funny anyone could say the AD botched the situation when Miller is the only one who looks bad ever since the dust settled.
                        Ducks Fly Together

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          it looks to me like Potter did not meet the requirements for the job if you look at the posted requirements
                          the AD himself is not a former Bulldog, and sometimes people, myself included, make more of being an alumni than should be
                          will be interesting to see who is being interviewed for the OSU & MSU-M jobs.
                          I noticed that MSU's job requirements were arguably the most lenient - 3 years of coaching or playing at the DI level.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                            I noticed that MSU's job requirements were arguably the most lenient - 3 years of coaching or playing at the DI level.
                            Hopefully the Gustie's HC isn't interested in this gig! I could be wrong but I thought I read that Means was making 81k to coach the women's team? That seems low and not sure how much interest MSU will draw without being lenient with that type of low salary.

Not big news to everyone here but Hamline's (MIAC) women's coach is no longer there and the rumor is that Natalie Darwitz will/could be the new HC there.

Comment

The Hamline opening is news. I'm not sure anyone has talked about or listed that opening. That league has been pretty stable the past 4-5 years.
                              Darwitz is a big name in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                                The Hamline opening is news. I'm not sure anyone has talked about or listed that opening. That league has been pretty stable the past 4-5 years.
                                Darwitz is a big name in Women's Hockey.
                                FYP; Hope you don't mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X