Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAA: Patiently Waiting For Next Season, Every Season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA: Patiently Waiting For Next Season, Every Season...

This sounds good too..

A new dasher board will line the rink and hopefully give spectators more visibility with more scratch-resistant glass.

"The big thing is we're dropping the glass on the sides to 6 feet instead of 8 feet a lot of people will be able to watch the game without having to look through the glass," Clark said.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      HA! I know UAA attendance sucks, but BG draws 2000 fans.
      2500, but I won't quibble. still a long way to convince folks that WCHA hockey is the best value around.
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
        2500, but I won't quibble. still a long way to convince folks that WCHA hockey is the best value around.
        Not every game though. In fact the March 6 and 7 games were 1657 and 1930, while the WCHA tourney only drew a mere 1475.
        Last edited by Suze; 06-10-2015, 11:28 PM.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
          Did anyone go to the Sully parking lot and drag home one of the old seats? There were mountains of them out there!

I didn't realize they were replacing all of the seats, but it's looking that way. The current seating for hockey is 6,290 (not sure if that includes those box seats?) So either the padded seats take up more room, or they're leaving 290 red seats at the very top. LOL! It sure didn't look that way from the photos though. They've completely gutted the place!

Also - the sample seats they had on hand during the end of the Aces season were dark green and grey. Now KTUU is saying that they'll be red wine and grey.

I was looking at a picture of the paint they're putting on the walls, and it definitely goes more with the red wine/grey look..

From KTUU:

They also decided to keep the SullyVision. At one time they were going to take it down, but it's staying put.

I can't wait to see how it turns out!
          I am excited to see the way it turns out too. I am bummed that they change the colors to "red wine" and "grey" but at least it is not Yellow! The new glass (and them lower the glass) should be a fan favorite too. Does anyone know if they will cover the balcony seats this season even with the new seats going in the balcony?

Comment

Did anyone go to the Sully parking lot and drag home one of the old seats? There were mountains of them out there!
            If that hoard was in _airbanks It would create........ Special Edition 2 Hour Special Alaska State Troopers Show.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              If that hoard was in _airbanks It would create........ Special Edition 2 Hour Special Alaska State Troopers Show.
              Those seats would be better than the bleachers at the Carlson. Can't believe they haven't snagged them.
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

UAA finished 34th among 300 NCAA Division II schools in the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, which ranks the success of college programs at national championships.

For you wondering about the "Flagship ".......UAF finished 65th in this year’s rankings.
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  Those seats would be better than the bleachers at the Carlson. Can't believe they haven't snagged them.
                  I dunno.. They're pretty grungy! http://www.adn.com/slideshow/photos-...-seats-upgrade

Comment

Like I said, it would be an improvement!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      Like I said, it would be an improvement!
                      When a stadium's seating is improved by our sickly old bucket seats, that is sad.

Speaking of which, I went to Opening Day yesterday for the Bucs & Pilots ( Go Bucs! They won 6-3 I believe ), how did Mulcahay become such a mish mosh of different seats? Bench grandstand, silver box seats, orange bucket seats, the bleachers.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        When a stadium's seating is improved by our sickly old bucket seats, that is sad.

Speaking of which, I went to Opening Day yesterday for the Bucs & Pilots ( Go Bucs! They won 6-3 I believe ), how did Mulcahay become such a mish mosh of different seats? Bench grandstand, silver box seats, orange bucket seats, the bleachers.
                        I actually wrote Dr. Grey about the Red seats to see if maybe they could put those at the Carson balcony section. He wrote back and said he would look into it.

Comment

Haider to the Aces?
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                            I actually wrote Dr. Grey about the Red seats to see if maybe they could put those at the Carson balcony section. He wrote back and said he would look into it.
                            Carlson has bigger issues than looking into 28 year old has-been plastic seats. Namely, the ice plant is heading the same direction that Sully's was prior to this summer.

Whenever they do replace the seats, they need to do the whole building, not just the bleachers. I am guessing it will fall on the university and hockey alums to make any progress in that area.

For those of you that care, word is the entire west side of the Carlson will have beer (the odd numbered sections) starting this season. I hear there will also be some new elevated mini suite type areas on the north side with beer, wine, and food. Basically where the pep band used to be. Hockey alumni are responsible for selling the new seating area.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Yep! I just saw that..... (p.s. edit to add: this is in response to Squarebanks post "Haider to the Aces?")

"VETERAN SPORTS BROADCASTER KURT HAIDER JOINS THE ALASKA ACES"

June 16, 2015
                              For Immediate Release

VETERAN SPORTS BROADCASTER KURT HAIDER JOINS THE ALASKA ACES

Veteran sports broadcaster Kurt Haider has joined the Alaska Aces of the ECHL as Media Relations Director and TV/radio play by play announcer, the club announced Tuesday.

For the past 19 years Haider has been the play by play voice of University of Alaska Anchorage hockey in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, calling almost 700 games. A 33 year radio veteran, Haider has also broadcast UAA basketball, Peninsula Oilers summer collegiate baseball, along with high school football, basketball, hockey and baseball.

In addition to play by play, Haider has been employed by iHeart Media as a radio news anchor and reporter, and by Denali Media Holdings as a
                              part-time sports anchor on KTVA-11.

"This is a unique opportunity to join a premier professional hockey club
                              at just the right time in my career. Thanks and appreciation to UAA and
                              to iHeart Media for their support over the years. I'm looking forward to
                              broadcasting Aces hockey and meeting the great fans that have followed the team so loyally through the years" Haider said.

750am KFQD will once again serve as the Alaska Aces flagship station.

The regular season commences Friday, October 16 against Missouri at the Sullivan Arena.
                              Last edited by AlaskaRox; 06-16-2015, 02:09 PM. Reason: Squarebanks mentioned this

Comment

I guess the good news for Kurt is that it's a year round position. He can ditch his job doing news for KTVA. He's definitely going to have to travel a lot more though!

Who on earth could ever fill his shoes though??

Would David Tuttle be interested?
                                Last edited by AlaskaRox; 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM. Reason: why not? :p

Comment

Working...
                                X