>>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
    Yes, he had that for the last month or so of the season. There are a couple of players that I know of that had surgery shortly after last season ended. But they kept playing through it as long as the ride went.

I could be wrong but I think Garbowsky's injury happened at the end of the last Amerks game. And I think McGowan was the one who played in the playoffs with a hand injury.

Comment

• The 2015 recruiting class was announced today (http://www.ritathletics.com/news/2015/7/9/MHOCKEY_0709155931.aspx).

Four forwards (Liam Kerins, Abbott Girduckis, Eric Brown, and Mark Logan) along with one goalie to add to the discussion (Christian Short).

Hockey Commitments and Heisenberg also list 2 additional forwards (Gabe Valenzuela, and Alex Roberts). Checking Elite Prospects website, they are now listed as 2016-2017 RIT recruits. No indication if they are going back for another year of Juniors, or will be enrolled at RIT as Kerins did last year.

Right now the 2016-2017 class has 4 forwards (Alex Roberts, Gabe Valenzuela, Austin Wright, and Reed Delainey) and 1 defensemen (Gordie Ballhorn)
      John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
      AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
      AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
      NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
      NCAA DII - 1983
      NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
        The 2015 recruiting class was announced today (http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...709155931.aspx).

Four forwards (Liam Kerins, Abbott Girduckis, Eric Brown, and Mark Logan) along with one goalie to add to the discussion (Christian Short).

Hockey Commitments and Heisenberg also list 2 additional forwards (Gabe Valenzuela, and Alex Roberts). Checking Elite Prospects website, they are now listed as 2016-2017 RIT recruits. No indication if they are going back for another year of Juniors, or will be enrolled at RIT as Kerins did last year.

Right now the 2016-2017 class has 4 forwards (Alex Roberts, Gabe Valenzuela, Austin Wright, and Reed Delainey) and 1 defensemen (Gordie Ballhorn)
        Where are all the 5'9, 160lb guys that normally make up an RIT recruiting class? Maybe they are in the 2016-2017 one I only looked at next years
        RIT Tigers
        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by cplinford View Post
          Where are all the 5'9, 160lb guys that normally make up an RIT recruiting class? Maybe they are in the 2016-2017 one I only looked at next years
          Don't worry, Valenzuela is 5'8" 175lbs and Austin Wright is 5'9" 170lbs. Seriously though, both have been characterized as "shifty", "quick", and "fast" in some of the pieces I've read. Wright is going from Niagara Falls in the GOJHL to the Brooks Bandits of the AJHL, and it will be interesting to see how his skills transfer to the higher level of competition.
          John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
          NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

Randy Bloechel's dad suffered a heart attack after the Wings game on July 4. Was saved by bystanders.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...life/29945027/

Powers &8^]

Comment

Pretty good performance by Garbo in tonight's Sabres blue/gold scrimmage. Gets an assist on the last goal and won every faceoff I saw him take.
              RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Hey, look who was on the winning squad in the Sabres' prospects 3-on-3 tourney today. https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/st...736705/photo/1

Powers &8^]

Comment

Don't worry, Valenzuela is 5'8" 175lbs and Austin Wright is 5'9" 170lbs. Seriously though, both have been characterized as "shifty", "quick", and "fast" in some of the pieces I've read. Wright is going from Niagara Falls in the GOJHL to the Brooks Bandits of the AJHL, and it will be interesting to see how his skills transfer to the higher level of competition.
                  You will find Valenzuela stands 5'5" to 5"6" maximum (more 5'5" unless he is stretching it out), and about 165 lbs. The problem with height and weight statistics are some are inflated while others are deflated, in the case of Valenzuela they are thoroughly overstated. He is slated for this September 2015.

Valenzuela is an extremely skilled offensive player with breakaway speed. His game strength is correct as others have mentioned in being very shifty and drives the net better than most small forwards. The portion of game he needs to work on is his passing game, unless you can put him with other players who are extremely generous with the puck then that is a concern, as he is only looking to take the puck rather than work (pass) the puck as a unit. Time will tell how it works at the college level seeing it is difficult to change a players on ice decision making/gameplay once it is thoroughly ingrained. I see Valenzuela making some highlight reel goals, the question is whether the team game can be developed as that is where growth of his game will be happening.

Abbott Girduckis is a great addition, a very big north/south stature player who is suited to go in and knock the puck loose. I don't see much by way of skilled goals as he is built on crashing the net and getting the cheap goals. That said it takes every type of player to make a successful team he can play that role better than most.

Liam Kerins some of you might have had the pleasure of watching practice, his greatest attribute is his NHL caliber shot and that is an understatement. This kid can tee it up and hit a dime from the blue line, watch goalies cringe when Kerins one times a shot from anywhere on the ice. Kerins will have much success the first time through the circuit until coaches/teams learn the best way to deal with his shot is to keep close and not allow him to have time or space to let that canon go. You eliminate the shot and you neutralize his biggest strength. If he sets up on that PP then watch out, it is something to behold.
                  Last edited by Ballroomblitz; 07-13-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Former Tigers Steve Pinnizotto, Ricky Walton, and Rob Tarantino are teaming up again - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5729571-local-friends-team-up-to-produce-custom-sports-gear-you-sit-on/ .

Perhaps RIT can be their first university customer.
                    John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                    NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

Former Tigers Steve Pinnizotto, Ricky Walton, and Rob Tarantino are teaming up again - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/57...ar-you-sit-on/ .

Perhaps RIT can be their first university customer.
                      I like this line... "Then Walton, Pinizzotto and Rob Tarantino all played together on a hockey scholarship at the Rochester Institute of Technology"
                      Not only has RIT never offered hockey scholarships at D-I, but Walton and Tarantino were recruited and brought in as D-III players. Way to do research.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerprincess7 View Post
                        Who was the last RIT player to go to a development camp? I remember Mitchell at Caps camp, Madolora at Sharks camp, and Burt somewhere although I'm not sure what year this was (if all three even happened in the same year)?

Of course being invited to team camp is more impressive than a prospect camp but I still think it's really awesome. Garbowsky is the oldest guy at Sabres camp right now. I love looking at the photo albums and some guys' pictures have a couple likes but all the Garbowsky ones have over 20 likes and a few comments. RIT fans out in full force!!!
                        Burt went to Caps camp at least once, though I want to say it was twice.

Here's a link of him from the 2010 Caps Dev Camp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXY3GtUcdbU
                        RIT

Comment

I'm pretty sure Tyler Brenner went to a camp.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure Tyler Brenner went to a camp.
                            I'm sure he was at Toronto's the year after he signed as a UFA, the same way Garbowsky was at Buffalo's this year.

Wasn't Burt at Detroit's as well as Columbus (ed: Washington, not Columbus :facepalm: ) one year?
                            Last edited by jflory81; 07-20-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

After the 2010 season, there were several players at NHL camps. If I recall, Demichiel (Bruins), Tanev (Vancouver), Raymond (Ottawa), and Brenner (Toronto).

I think Pinizzotto was at either Chicago or Vancouver that year and probably Washington the year before.

Burt was at Washington's camp one year, can't remember which.

I think Anton Karin was at an NHL camp as well the year after he left. Maybe Simon Lambert as well?

Comment

I'm hopeful an RIT player can someday play on the east coast to watch them on TV more often. Garbo getting on the Sabres would be awesome.
                                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2010 Frozen Four participant
                                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X