X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
    And Cornell still can't score!
    Preach, brotha!

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2014-2015: Restoring the Karma

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      If this is true, it would be a blatant violation of Ivy rules. Athletes' need has to be calculated in the same way as non-athletes'. I assume something has been lost in translation.
      Not true. A memorial fund can be set up to help a player that requires additional financial assistance. In this case, it was not set up as an athletic scholarship, it was set up to provide need based assistance. I've done it for a member of my family. Once again, Cornell ignorance rules the day. Wow.

Comment

Hey guys. Harvard is hosting an open house at Bright-Landry on Thursday September 3rd from 5pm to 9pm. Chance to meet the players, skate on Bright ice and check out the new seating. I got an email requesting my RSVP so if you want to go, call the ticket office. Sounds like a fun evening.

Comment

Sign that the apocalypse is upon us. The Nashville Preds are going to experiment with drones inside their rink to take video at different angles to get more information on game situations and players strengths and weaknesses. Example: they plan to fly a drone above the face-off dots to see how players take face-offs. I'm not kidding, they are serious about this.

I can see it now. Someone, somewhere will fly a drone right above a goalie with a recorded voice yelling 'sieve' until the goalie has a meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Not true. A memorial fund can be set up to help a player that requires additional financial assistance. In this case, it was not set up as an athletic scholarship, it was set up to provide need based assistance. I've done it for a member of my family. Once again, Cornell ignorance rules the day. Wow.
            And my family has set up just such a fund at Cornell - which offers NEED BASED aid to students in a particular academic discipline. See that part in caps, which also appears in your latest post? Your initial post says it's for a player who "doesn't quite" qualify for need-based financial aid. So which is it? Is it for players who DO demonstrate need (which is consistent with my expectation, your latest post, and Ivy League rules) or is it for players who ALMOST demonstrate need (per your original post)?

Once again, Harvard moving the goalposts.

Comment

Financial Aid Changes Game as Ivy Sports Teams Flourish
              http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sp...rise.html?_r=0
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                And my family has set up just such a fund at Cornell - which offers NEED BASED aid to students in a particular academic discipline. See that part in caps, which also appears in your latest post? Your initial post says it's for a player who "doesn't quite" qualify for need-based financial aid. So which is it? Is it for players who DO demonstrate need (which is consistent with my expectation, your latest post, and Ivy League rules) or is it for players who ALMOST demonstrate need (per your original post)?

Once again, Harvard moving the goalposts.
                No, not quite. Since you seem to want specifics, I'll give them to you. The Fund was set up in my close friend Howard's name because he loved Harvard athletics and wanted to help kids WHO DIDN"T QUITE QUALIFY FOR FINANCIAL AID BUT STILL NEEDED HELP - IN OTHER WORDS, GAP FUNDING. Howard died of cancer in 1990, the year after the national championship. The first recipient of the Fund was Ted Drury and the reason I know this is TED'S DAD CAME UP TO ME AND ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THE FUND GAVE HIS SON the chance to play hockey at Harvard. They needed the extra money because Ted had Chris and Jimmy coming up behind him and college tuition adds up.

I realize that I'm talking about the early nineties and a lot has changed over the years. My point was simply that there are instruments available to help cover gaps that financial aid can't address. My brother is going through it right now with my nephews. Both are baseball players and one has a chance to get an athletic scholarship. But if that falls through, he admitted that he is going to have to get help elsewhere if the college can't come up with an aid package. Same with my niece who was a volleyball player. She didn't get the financial aid package she hoped for so she had to work and go to school. Not every kid gets what he/she is looking for and it really stresses the parents. College savings plans help but with the cost of an education going up, it's hard to keep up, especially with market hiccups.

I don't usually use all caps but in this case, you pushed it so there it is. And yes I'm sensitive about this because it involves a close friend. And because I've done recruiting and interviewing for Harvard, I know a little something about how the University operates and the difficulty some kids have in making it work financially. This is a very real problem that talented kids who work hard have to face despite their parents' best efforts. In a perfect world, kids wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. Unfortunately, we live in a very imperfect world.

Comment

I appreciate your passion, and I certainly understand the difficult choices that "the 99%" have to make when it comes to choosing and financing an education. I agree with everything you've said in those regards.

However, your statement that, "there are instruments available to help cover gaps that financial aid can't address," is definitely incorrect. Any aid given to a student athlete above-and-beyond his officially determined level of financial need would be defined by the Ivy League to be an athletic scholarship, and is therefore verboten. The way you describe it, there would only be an easy side-step or two back to the days of hundred-dollar handshakes from boosters. It in no way besmirches your friend or any hockey coach or player to say that - I am 100% confident they are playing by the rules. It is your grasp of the rules that I have doubts about.

Comment

What Will 'Full Cost of Attendance' Mean to College Hockey?
                    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...attendance.php

One of these was to start allowing schools to give student-athletes "full cost of attendance" in its scholarship packages. This includes things like meal plans, transportation, room and board, and other fees, that weren't previously included in what the NCAA considered a "scholarship." This amounts to a stipend worth upwards of $6,000/year.

But the NCAA allowed for any other school to match the Power 5 if it wanted to. So far, North Dakota and fellow NCHC school Miami have announced they would give "full cost of attendance" scholarships. Others will probably follow in due time.

What is this going to mean for us (ECAC)?
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Tickets will be available starting September 9th on the MSG site for the Rivalry on Ice game with Q in MSG.

http://www.thegarden.com/events/2016...ry-on-ice.html
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Harvard lands a top 2001 Puck-moving LD out of Jersey - Marshall Warren.

Comment

Harvard lands a top 2001 Puck-moving LD out of Jersey - Marshall Warren.
                          I have officially seen the end of civilization as we know it

They are making a mockery out of admissions. If he is a Harvard type kid, that won't change over next couple years.
                          At least take the boards and have good 9th and 10th grade transcripts. Can not see one positive out of this outside bragging on Twitter

Tell the kid, if you keep doing what you are doing, you are exactly what we are looking for. Have a great season, look forward to watching you develop.

I am sure a fantastic kid but this is as big a joke as OW committing to Maine a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            I have officially seen the end of civilization as we know it

They are making a mockery out of admissions. If he is a Harvard type kid, that won't change over next couple years.
                            At least take the boards and have good 9th and 10th grade transcripts. Can not see one positive out of this outside bragging on Twitter

Tell the kid, if you keep doing what you are doing, you are exactly what we are looking for. Have a great season, look forward to watching you develop.

I am sure a fantastic kid but this is as big a joke as OW committing to Maine a few years ago.
                            When a kid commits to Harvard this early, he is committing to the admissions process which many folks (Fortunato, Plante) do not make it through and then Xmas comes early to the likes of other schools.

There is no guarantee on getting in and the kids know this.

Comment

When a kid commits to Harvard this early, he is committing to the admissions process which many folks (Fortunato, Plante) do not make it through and then Xmas comes early to the likes of other schools.

There is no guarantee on getting in and the kids know this.
                              Harvard is still, Harvard..... That will not change and if wants that route it will still be there in a couple years. What is he going to do, wake up in two years and decide he wants BU

Harvard should stay above the others

Comment

RPI blog Without a Peer's yearly post about Harvard. http://www.withoutapeer.com/2015/09/...y-harvard.html

I have no connection to WaP except as a reader.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X