Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Three big recruiting weekends coming up with the 2016 Os Prospects Camp taking place. Most of the top D1 schools will be there scouting as those not already committed will be trying to impress.
    http://www.oshockey.com/page/show/434775-prospects-camp

Os Prospects College Commitment list through 2016: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...tment_List.pdf
    Os Prospects U18/National/Olympic Team Player Selections: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d..._Selection.pdf
    This is a tremendous list of top MN players who got a chance to play at the next level thanks in no small part to Winny Brodt and OS Program. Our daughter did it back in 2008 and 2009 I am sure it is even better now.

It would be interesting to report on how many of the players played four years? Many due to injuries or other reasons did not - some left school or some focused on school and quit the sport. It is that balanced story that players need to understand.

Our daughter had as much benefit from Prospects in the classroom discussions with Coaches about expectations of a D1 player.

Quote Originally Posted by joehockey View Post
    This is a tremendous list of top MN players who got a chance to play at the next level thanks in no small part to Winny Brodt and OS Program. Our daughter did it back in 2008 and 2009 I am sure it is even better now.
    Looks like the program continues to grow as I count 12 Prospects teams and another 6 "Futures" teams. Quite a few Shattuck-St. Mary's girls participating too.

Team rosters and games schedule here: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...er_Handout.pdf
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by joehockey View Post

It would be interesting to report on how many of the players played four years? Many due to injuries or other reasons did not - some left school or some focused on school and quit the sport. It is that balanced story that players need to understand.

Our daughter had as much benefit from Prospects in the classroom discussions with Coaches about expectations of a D1 player.
    I have been keeping track of MN players for a number of years. I have a nice spreadsheet showing player info. (e.g., high school, grad. yr., played D1/D3, college, USCHO stats, and some other information. I have added the Os Prospects info. to my spreadsheet, which should help with your question above. I would like to share this spreadsheet with the forum or whomever wants it. If someone more familiar with this forum can help me out with attaching the spreadsheet (or whatever it is I need to do to share it), that would be great. As my daughter is done with college hockey, I do not desire to continue to keep up the spreadsheet. Therefore, I would love for someone to pick this up and continue adding to it. Any takers, let me know and I will send you the document. Thanks in advance for your help.

Looks like the program continues to grow as I count 12 Prospects teams and another 6 "Futures" teams. Quite a few Shattuck-St. Mary's girls participating too.

Team rosters and games schedule here: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...er_Handout.pdf
    That is a lot of players. I noticed no East Coast girls or Chicago girls. Where are they at?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    That is a lot of players. I noticed no East Coast girls or Chicago girls. Where are they at?
    The 3 Prospects weekends historically have been a showcase for MN talent for the most part with a few from ND and Wisc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    I believe there was a Chicago girl in the futures division.

The Minnesota Girls High School Hockey season is now well underway. Most all of the top players in their junior and senior classes have already committed; here is a summary of where each of the rated "Top 25" have committed as of now:

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/lph/files/girls-top-25

Let's go RED!

The Minnesota Girls High School Hockey season is now well underway. Most all of the top players in their junior and senior classes have already committed; here is a summary of where each of the rated "Top 25" have committed as of now:

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/lph/files/girls-top-25
    Geez, UMD is very prominent on the list. Interesting. I don't know if that's an increase from when Miller was the coach or not. Fascinating on how UM and UW create talented teams with very different recruiting strategies, with Frosty being very MN-centric and MJ bringing in players from all over NA.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Geez, UMD is very prominent on the list. Interesting. I don't know if that's an increase from when Miller was the coach or not. Fascinating on how UM and UW create talented teams with very different recruiting strategies, with Frosty being very MN-centric and MJ bringing in players from all over NA.
    I think Miller used her experience & reputation as an international coach to draw in some great players from around the world. It worked for her until other universities started poaching players. Since MN produces more players than any other state I would expect them to be prominent particularly on Minnesota teams because they grew up seeing those teams & have an affinity. So far MN has gotten the cream but WI and OSU have picked up some top talent. If UMD starts getting some I can see the schools getting closer on the ice for talent. MN has about 1/3 of the team from the rest of NA. I can't say for sure but that seems less than in the past but I expect it will fluctuate depending on who is available any given year. No idea what MJs philosophy or tactics are for recruiting but he obviously is doing OK at it as is BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    You take a much more positive view of this than HB... Nice to see that vs the criticism, especially of Minnesota's recruiting.

The advice of one player parent recently on a Saturday afternoon at Ridder was to "Send your daughter to a program where she is going to play. Avoid the schools that allow kids to transfer in & take the playing time from the kids that are recruited to play at that program."
    There are many great schools & opportunities out there for the MN Girls! We are seeing UMD post Miller era focusing more on MN kids & that is great to see. More parity & depth will be great for the women's game...

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Bucket View Post
    The advice of one player parent recently on a Saturday afternoon at Ridder was to "Send your daughter to a program where she is going to play. Avoid the schools that allow kids to transfer in & take the playing time from the kids that are recruited to play at that program."
    There are many great schools & opportunities out there for the MN Girls! We are seeing UMD post Miller era focusing more on MN kids & that is great to see. More parity & depth will be great for the women's game...
    Would said programs "guarantee" they are going to play? Are there schools that don't "allow" student/athletes to transfer when that decision is really the student/athlete's to make if they meet the requirements?

Not all Minnesotans, but the state is certainly well-represented on USA Today's "ALL-USA Preseason Girls Hockey Team":

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/2016-17-...ls-hockey-team

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Bucket View Post
    Go where she will play is certainly a valid opinion and I would not begrudge someone saying that as long as they are not fomenting dissension or problems on a current team. The bit about avoiding schools that take in transfers seems to have a bit of a sour grapes thing about it. Transferring is a pretty common thing.

Although as FiveHoleFrenzy stated 'guaranteed' playing time can be fraught. Go where you will play is a judgement call that can be a safe call at times.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Would said programs "guarantee" they are going to play? Are there schools that don't "allow" student/athletes to transfer when that decision is really the student/athlete's to make if they meet the requirements?
    Although there is no guarantees that your kid will play anywhere they go there is one thing I will say as I looked over the list of top 25 kids. "WOW! Minnesota has a pile of top recruits coming their way." Where are all those kids going to play? Only three lines that play and six D. Leaves a lot of kids out of luck when it comes to playing. I have seen more then a few kids ride the pine who could have been 1st or 2nd line studs for any other (except Wisconsin) WCHA team. I wonder if Nina Rodgers regrets her decision to go there a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
    Although there is no guarantees that your kid will play anywhere they go there is one thing I will say as I looked over the list of top 25 kids. "WOW! Minnesota has a pile of top recruits coming their way." Where are all those kids going to play? Only three lines that play and six D. Leaves a lot of kids out of luck when it comes to playing. I have seen more then a few kids ride the pine who could have been 1st or 2nd line studs for any other (except Wisconsin) WCHA team. I wonder if Nina Rodgers regrets her decision to go there a few years ago?
    She has a national championship ring, so probably not. I think she played about where she belonged. She has a lot of talent but was not a 1st or 2nd line stud at MN, she might have developed into one because there was a lot of upside but we will never know. I am not convinced she will be on the national squad unless she achieves all that potential. Met her, talked to her and her mom (before I even knew she was a MN recruit. She is a great kid and I hope she blossoms at BU and scores the game winner at the Olympics some day. But I can't imagine she would regret last year in MN. I am really looking forward to seeing her play against the Gophers in a few weeks.

As for numbers, Both MN & WI have more than a full team (after years of not even 18 skaters) but so do UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD and MSU(!) OSU has the full 21. So 7 of 8 have kids not playing while one has just a full team & probably lost a couple of players from the turmoil or it would be all 8. Some of those might be studs out East.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
    Wouldn't a coaching staff, if they have the talent, want to play 4 lines? Especially if they can do that and maintain the consistency of their "systems" throughout those lines? To get kids who have been the top player or one of the top players at their school to fit into different roles which are going to be more subservient, is not an easy task. Not everyone has the makeup to do that and it is essential for the recruiters to be able to project who will be able to conform to those roles.

Wouldn't a coaching staff, if they have the talent, want to play 4 lines? Especially if they can do that and maintain the consistency of their "systems" throughout those lines? To get kids who have been the top player or one of the top players at their school to fit into different roles which are going to be more subservient, is not an easy task. Not everyone has the makeup to do that and it is essential for the recruiters to be able to project who will be able to conform to those roles.
    I would not be surprised if in a year or two the Gophers are much more of a 4 line team. With the players that are coming in I could see us having a 4th line capable of maintaining consistency with the top lines better than what we have seen before.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    She has a national championship ring, so probably not. I think she played about where she belonged. She has a lot of talent but was not a 1st or 2nd line stud at MN, she might have developed into one because there was a lot of upside but we will never know. I am not convinced she will be on the national squad unless she achieves all that potential. Met her, talked to her and her mom (before I even knew she was a MN recruit. She is a great kid and I hope she blossoms at BU and scores the game winner at the Olympics some day. But I can't imagine she would regret last year in MN. I am really looking forward to seeing her play against the Gophers in a few weeks.

As for numbers, Both MN & WI have more than a full team (after years of not even 18 skaters) but so do UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD and MSU(!) OSU has the full 21. So 7 of 8 have kids not playing while one has just a full team & probably lost a couple of players from the turmoil or it would be all 8. Some of those might be studs out East.
    I take it all the teams use their full allotment of schollies 18. Curious if anyone knows how much they get split up or do they? Are there any walk ons that have proved themselves and gotten rewarded?

I am sure they all would love to roll 4 & at home, with last change some do at least a bit.But even Minnesota and Wisconsin are not excited about their 4 against another teams 1 so unlikely to do it on the road. The depth is just not there yet but it is getting very close & I expect we will see more 4s in the future. For all the whining about stashing I think a lot of kids see them developing more & being happier with limited playing time at places like MN, WI & BC than second line with a team struggling to make .500. That would be a personal choice: big fish, little pond or little fish, big pond different kids have different desires & thats OK.

Thread Information