Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Slapshots don't mean anything at the next level.
    Who would have thought? College hockey must have changed then since Lyndsay Wall was rocketing the puck into the net.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      should I :
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?

many people say the private schools "recruit" because they take kids from a wide area rather than a specific area within a jurisdiction
      my point is that the so called local public schools are not comprised of 100% kids within their high school borders
      I didn't give the specific name of the school or year because I am going by memory ( I live in the district BTW) and Googling may not be able to settle any argument since it was about 25 years ago, it was the boys team actually, although the same school won their only girls championship with at least two girls that transferred into the district that did not live there.
      This is quite common. Quite frankly I am surprised you are even questioning it.
      I find myself in agreement with all of your points. My question was about the fruit tree thing as there is absolutely no occurrence in girls' hockey that matches your example. You must be referring to boys hockey. I am now assuming that you mean Apple Valley. However, no high school girls team with a fruit reference in the name (and for clarification it is a fruit and a valley, not a fruit and a tree) has been single time champion. Apple Valley girls won twice.
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
        I find myself in agreement with all of your points. My question was about the fruit tree thing as there is absolutely no occurrence in girls' hockey that matches your example. You must be referring to boys hockey. I am now assuming that you mean Apple Valley. However, no high school girls team with a fruit reference in the name (and for clarification it is a fruit and a valley, not a fruit and a tree) has been single time champion. Apple Valley girls won twice.
        I thought Minnesota ended open enrollment that enabled the public schools to "recruit"?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just watched former Gopher and Hastings HS player Erica McKenzie being interviewed between periods of the Edina, Eden Prairie game. She is the Fan Relations Manager for the Minnesota Wild.

My wife thought the Old Dutch potato chip ad with Gigi Marvin was very funny. It's always nice to see the former Gopher players.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I thought Minnesota ended open enrollment that enabled the public schools to "recruit"?
            Nope, open enrollment is alive and well, as long as there is room at the new school to accept incoming students from other districts. It is still against MSHSL rules, however, for coaches and other school staff to recruit athletes from other districts.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Slapshots don't mean anything at the next level.
              I agree that there are fewer opportunities for players to use a slap shot in the college game, but in the years where Minnesota's power play has been particularly deadly, the Gophers have had players who could fire bombs (Wall, Bozek, Jalosuo, Ramsey, McMillen). It is particularly effective if they can get one-timers on net.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I agree that there are fewer opportunities for players to use a slap shot in the college game, but in the years where Minnesota's power play has been particularly deadly, the Gophers have had players who could fire bombs (Wall, Bozek, Jalosuo, Ramsey, McMillen). It is particularly effective if they can get one-timers on net.
                Watching Emily Brown last night she has a very effective wrist shot that she used to score Blaine's 3rd goal. Crystalyn Hengler for Eden Prairie is very proficient with the wrist shot as well. It will be interesting to see what the Minnesota coaching staff does with Zumwinkle's shooting ability on the power play.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  my apology, I have been here long enough to know that minutia is more important than the bigger picture
                  do private schools recruit?
                  I'm sure they do, especially if you consider advertising and reaching out to potential students as recruiting, they can't just open the doors and hope students walk in.
                  but if you think public schools don't recruit, you are very, very naive

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    my apology, I have been here long enough to know that minutia is more important than the bigger picture
                    do private schools recruit?
                    I'm sure they do, especially if you consider advertising and reaching out to potential students as recruiting, they can't just open the doors and hope students walk in.
                    but if you think public schools don't recruit, you are very, very naive
                    My apology as well. Looking back to your original post it is apparent that you meant to explore the question of high school students attending something other than the nearest public school. I was confused by your example and wandered off subject.

As to your original point I too am aware of many examples of high school students attending something other than the nearest public school. In some cases the recruitment is subtle. I agree that in some cases the recruitment, by both the publics and the privates, is quite overt.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Certainly no surprise as Blake wins the class A title with a 6-2 win over St. Paul United.

Hoping for a better matchup between Edina and Blaine in the class AA final in about a half an hour.

Comment

You wouldn't know by the score but the AA championship game was more competitive than the class A championship. A really impressive performance by Edina in shutting out a very good Blaine team 4-0. As I said before in the Harvard thread, their fans will be very pleased with recruit Lolita Fidler in 2018. She had a great tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          You wouldn't know by the score but the AA championship game was more competitive than the class A championship. A really impressive performance by Edina in shutting out a very good Blaine team 4-0. As I said before in the Harvard thread, their fans will be very pleased with recruit Lolita Fidler in 2018. She had a great tournament.
                          I didn't see a lot of the tournament, and hardly any of Blake. But what I saw of Edina, they looked GREAT! Skating and passing and I was extremely impressed how good they looked!

Comment

Just curious if anyone could give me a scouting report on St. Paul United players and Cornell recruits Joie Phelps and Samantha Burke?

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                              Just curious if anyone could give me a scouting report on St. Paul United players and Cornell recruits Joie Phelps and Samantha Burke?
                              I saw quite a bit of both players this past weekend, and I can tell you that SPU would never have made it to the final game, or possibly even the tournament, without these two. Phelps (the senior) was particularly dominant and a threat every time she was on the ice. Very skilled offensively, and averaged over two points a game over SPU's 30 games. Burke, the junior, seems more of the power forward type, and is very adept at carrying the puck in and around traffic. She averaged 1.7 PPG over her 27 games.

There is, however, one big caveat, and that is these impressive numbers were built over SPU playing a pretty weak schedule. According to KRACH there were 38 teams that played a harder one. This leaves me to speculate that each will have a big adjustment to make when going up against D1 competition (as a junior, Burke will obviously have another year in high school to further develop her skills). But after going through the inevitable freshman adjustment process I do believe both will develop to become impact players for the Big Red. And perhaps most importantly I'm glad they won't be playing for that other team that also wears red just east of here.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                I saw quite a bit of both players this past weekend, and I can tell you that SPU would never have made it to the final game, or possibly even the tournament, without these two. Phelps (the senior) was particularly dominant and a threat every time she was on the ice. Very skilled offensively, and averaged over two points a game over SPU's 30 games. Burke, the junior, seems more of the power forward type, and is very adept at carrying the puck in and around traffic. She averaged 1.7 PPG over her 27 games.

There is, however, one big caveat, and that is these impressive numbers were built over SPU playing a pretty weak schedule. According to KRACH there were 38 teams that played a harder one. This leaves me to speculate that each will have a big adjustment to make when going up against D1 competition (as a junior, Burke will obviously have another year in high school to further develop her skills). But after going through the inevitable freshman adjustment process I do believe both will develop to become impact players for the Big Red. And perhaps most importantly I'm glad they won't be playing for that other team that also wears red just east of here.
                                Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X