Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Hard if not impossible to measure overall depth of teams. There will always be some excellent squads and others that are quite frankly extremely weak in comparison. When you have well over 100 teams scattered across the State, many in very small communities, it will always be this way.

Then there are a few select teams located primarily in the suburbs of the Twin Cities that truly do stand out, but not necessarily every year consistently. This year's two top-ranked teams are public school Edina at #1 and second-ranked Blake, a private school located just a few miles away. Assuming they both win their section semifinal games against Cretin-Derham Hall and Wayzata respectively tomorrow night, they would face off in an epic section final game on Friday. I was curious so I did a quick count of each team's committed recruits, and found that Edina's roster includes 7, and Blake's 8. By school and upon graduation the combined 15 will be headed to:

Gophers - 5
    Harvard - 2
    Dartmouth - 2
    Cornell - 2
    Princeton - 1
    Yale - 1
    Penn State - 1
    Northeastern - 1
    (in addition, three other girls are shown to be attending and playing hockey at Middlebury, Williams and Amherst)

So obviously lots of talent (and brainpower!) on the ice should they meet in the section final on Friday night, but too bad only one will make it to the State Tournament which starts in a couple weeks.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Edina is at eight now. Aliyah Lance committed to RPI this week.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        So a down year for them, they had 9 last year 😄

Comment

Ms Hockey 5 finalists announced...

http://www.stateofhockey.com/news_ar...rer_id=1949540
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            This is more D1 players than many D1 teams have.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
              This is more D1 players than many D1 teams have.
              Edina might be good enough to make the USCHO poster's poll. For that matter Blake as well.

Speaking of Blake and Edina...Great matchup tonight at 7:30PM for the section 6AA final at Parade Ice Garden. Might see some of you there?

And not to slight the other real good section final matchups tonight in 4AA with Hill Murray and White Bear Lake at Aldrich Arena at 7:00PM, 5AA with Centennial and Blaine at Roseville Ice Arena at 7:00 PM, and 2AA with Eden Prairie and Shakopee at Braemar Arena at 7:00PM.
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-16-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Edina might be good enough to make the USCHO poster's poll. For that matter Blake as well.

Speaking of Blake and Edina...Great matchup tonight at 7:30PM for the section 6AA final at Parade Ice Garden. Might see some of you there?

And not to slight the other real good section final matchups tonight in 4AA with Hill Murray and White Bear Lake at Aldrich Arena at 7:00PM, 5AA with Centennial and Blaine at Roseville Ice Arena at 7:00 PM, and 2AA with Eden Prairie and Shakopee at Braemar Arena at 7:00PM.
                We'll be there. Saw Edina dismantle Blake earlier and hoping for a closer game this time. Would like to see SP/Shak but then were were several games worth seeing the last couple of days.

Comment

Edina wins 4-2.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Really good hockey game that kinda slipped away from Blake starting with giving up a goal in the last couple of seconds of the 2nd period when they had a 2-1 lead. I felt like goaltender for Blake seemed a bit shakey at times. Edina's first line was really good and I was very impressed with Emily Oden's game tonight. Looking forward to seeing her in a Gopher uniform next year.

Comment

Really good hockey game that kinda slipped away from Blake starting with giving up a goal in the last couple of seconds of the 2nd period when they had a 2-1 lead. I felt like goaltender for Blake seemed a bit shakey at times. Edina's first line was really good and I was very impressed with Emily Oden's game tonight. Looking forward to seeing her in a Gopher uniform next year.
                      It looked to me like Blake ran out of steam as the game wore on, Edina just has too many horses. Blake dominated the 1st but could only go up 1-0, they extended that to 2-0 early on in the second and then things started tipping the green way. It was 2-1 with 2.5 seconds to go when Blake iced the puck. Edina was ready & Blake thought the period was over so they went to the locker room tied. Third period was pretty much all Edina. I was surprised Blake didn't pull the goalie down 2-4 with 3:28 left and on the PP. THat was a great hockey game though.

One other thought: This was as physical a game as I have ever seen high school girls play. Not dirty, it was well played and except for standard crap after a crease scramble not ugly. The girls understand how to put body on body exceptionally well, the game is evolving and so far at least there is a very good balance.
                      Last edited by ne7minder; 02-17-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

One interesting note from last nights game. I have never seen so many dives in a game in my life. None were called although several were very obvious from the stands. One particularly bad actor was Edina's 13 CC Bowlby who had two oscar worthy performances where she appeared to have been murdered by a player how touched her slightly. She laid on the ice & on the second one even got up holding her arm like it had been ripped off. When no call came she skated over & got set for the faceoff. It was by no means exclusive to her or to Edina, Blake took a couple dives but nobody did them as well.

I hate to see this sort of thing almost as much as I hate to see rough stuff not called.

Comment

Nice to see Blake go down! Should be an all Green Final!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            One interesting note from last nights game. I have never seen so many dives in a game in my life. None were called although several were very obvious from the stands. One particularly bad actor was Edina's 13 CC Bowlby who had two oscar worthy performances where she appeared to have been murdered by a player how touched her slightly. She laid on the ice & on the second one even got up holding her arm like it had been ripped off. When no call came she skated over & got set for the faceoff. It was by no means exclusive to her or to Edina, Blake took a couple dives but nobody did them as well.

I hate to see this sort of thing almost as much as I hate to see rough stuff not called.
                            I was curious as to if you would comment on that. I was sitting on the Edina side just about at center ice and it was very interesting in an eyebrow raising way to see some of those folks absolutely come unglued. On that second Bowlby play you refer to I thought there were going to be some folks come right out of the stands after the ref. My wife looked at me and I looked at her and shrugged and said...What would these people do if they had to watch WCHA refs?

You're right about the depth on Edina being a factor. Plus they are very well coached.

Did you stay for the awards after the game? If you did, I would be curious to know what you thought of #7 of Blake and how she reacted to losing.
                            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-17-2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I was curious as to if you would comment on that. I was sitting on the Edina side just about at center ice and it was very interesting in an eyebrow raising way to see some of those folks absolutely come unglued. On that second Bowlby play you refer to I thought there were going to be some folks come right out of the stands after the ref. My wife looked at me and I looked at her and shrugged and said...What would these people do if they had to watch WCHA refs?

You're right about the depth on Edina being a factor. Plus they are very well coached.

Did you stay for the awards after the game? If you did, I would be curious to know what you thought of #7 of Blake and how she reacted to losing.
                              No, we beat it as soon as the horn sounded. I did notice one of Blake's players bust a very nice composite stick on the goal pipe. I understand the heartbreak of losing (I have experienced it often enough!) and they are just kids but it is disappointing to see them lose composure like that. We were across the way on the Blake side at center ice. Needless to say they saw that non-call differently. Then when one of their kids took what looked like a dive to me went nuts so I can imagine.

Comment

Brackets set for both A and AA State Tournaments:

Class A

Seeded teams:
                                #1 Warroad
                                #2 Breck
                                #3 Red Wing
                                #4 Alexandria
                                #5 St. Paul United

Quarterfinals 2/21/18
                                11 AM - Marshall vs. Breck
                                1 PM - Proctor/Hermantown vs. Red Wing

6 PM New Ulm vs. Warroad
                                8 PM St. Paul United vs. Alexandria