Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The Gophs have 4 goalies next year, too. It makes it hard to just get enough minutes in practice.
    That was not for people like you - that was a shot at the whiners who are so upset about MN having extra players but have no problem that their dear U might have an extra or two. as noted, 7 of the 8 WCHA teams have more than a full roster & the 8th probably would if they had not had the troubles

Comment

The annual StarTribune's Girls Hockey Preview is late this year, but better late than never. Loved this "storyline" on Gopher recruit Grace Zumwinkle:

4. Amazing Grace
      Breck senior forward Grace Zumwinkle draws raves for dominant play while her booming shots are drawing blood. Unleashing a shot that Mustangs coach Ronda Engelhardt called “the hardest in girls’ hockey,” Zumwinkle bent the mask and bloodied the nose of Centennial’s goalie in the season opener. Next game saw Zumwinkle break the skate of Benilde-St. Margaret’s goalie and crack the shin guard of another Red Knights player, the latter causing bleeding. Beyond the equipment carnage, Zumwinkle, committed to the Gophers, scored 10 goals in Breck’s first three games.

Girls' hockey preview: Five story lines for the season
      http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...le/show/724456

Girls' hockey preview: 10 metro teams to watch
      http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...le/show/724458

Girls' hockey preview: Twenty metro players to watch
      http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=868951

Talent abounds in west metro girls' hockey again

Centennial's Hughes, Linser better on same line
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        The annual StarTribune's Girls Hockey Preview is late this year, but better late than never. Loved this "storyline" on Gopher recruit Grace Zumwinkle:

4. Amazing Grace
        Breck senior forward Grace Zumwinkle draws raves for dominant play while her booming shots are drawing blood. Unleashing a shot that Mustangs coach Ronda Engelhardt called “the hardest in girls’ hockey,” Zumwinkle bent the mask and bloodied the nose of Centennial’s goalie in the season opener. Next game saw Zumwinkle break the skate of Benilde-St. Margaret’s goalie and crack the shin guard of another Red Knights player, the latter causing bleeding. Beyond the equipment carnage, Zumwinkle, committed to the Gophers, scored 10 goals in Breck’s first three games.

Girls' hockey preview: Five story lines for the season
        http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...le/show/724456

Girls' hockey preview: 10 metro teams to watch
        http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...le/show/724458

Talent abounds in west metro girls' hockey again

Centennial's Hughes, Linser better on same line
        Regarding Zumwinkle..

I'm really hoping she can shoot a knuckle puck...That would be sweet.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Breck senior forward Grace Zumwinkle draws raves for dominant play while her booming shots are drawing blood. Unleashing a shot that Mustangs coach Ronda Engelhardt called “the hardest in girls’ hockey,” Zumwinkle bent the mask and bloodied the nose of Centennial’s goalie in the season opener. Next game saw Zumwinkle break the skate of Benilde-St. Margaret’s goalie and crack the shin guard of another Red Knights player, the latter causing bleeding. Beyond the equipment carnage ...
          Who is making this equipment??? I'm thinking that it wouldn't hold up very well if it were used in a men's/boys' game, so why stick it on the face of a goalie in a girls' game and call it "protection"?
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Who is making this equipment??? I'm thinking that it wouldn't hold up very well if it were used in a men's/boys' game, so why stick it on the face of a goalie in a girls' game and call it "protection"?
            With respect to the mask one possibility is that it wasn't a perfect fit on the goalie, or it wasn't secured tight enough so the force of the puck caused it to move. The shin pad cracking is a mystery, unless the girl was using the same cheap model from her U12 days.

Comment

sporting goods are not made to last anymore, the emphasis is on new features that give an athlete an edge, and if somebody else has it, you have to have it, in fact it is better if it doesn't last, that way a player has an excuse to get new equipment (and importantly to the maker of sporting goods, sell more equipment), mom and dad can afford it and they want their little tadpole to be the next big thing, so they pay it, until they realize they are not going to be the next big thing, but there is always the next batch of dreamers to replace the disenchanted, and higher up nobody cares since they don't have to buy their own equipment.

now add in that since women aren't as strong as men, they can make the women's equipment cheaper, less of anything that will save them a few pennies

it would be interesting to know what flex she uses, most players these days use highly flexible sticks compared to years gone by, and girls are encouraged to use especially flexible compared to boys (there is your answer Blackbeard on why women don't seem as accurate as men, that and that they probably took a few minutes every day out of shooting at the wall to do their homework, lol)
              but if a girl learns to use a stick with flex that a boy would use, watch out, things could break and people get hurt
              Last edited by pokechecker; 11-21-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

See this is the difference between a Midwest elitist and and an Eastern elitist. The Midwest elitist discusses the equipment aspect were the Eastern elitist would be raving about how "clearly the best" said recruit is.

Comment

Natalie Snodgrass, senior, F, Eastview (Connecticut)
                  I got to see Natalie play this evening. She can defiantly skate and handle the stick and the puck. She had a goal and an assist in a 4-3 loss. She went in the end boards hard near the end of the game, got up slowly and appeared to be in some discomfort after the game.

Comment

Current Rankings

GIRLS CLASS AA (first-place votes) – Nov. 30, 2016
                    1. EDEN PRAIRIE (8)
                    2. Edina (2)
                    3. Maple Grove (1)
                    4. Hill-Murray
                    5. Blaine
                    6. Minnetonka
                    7. Cretin-Derham Hall
                    8. Elk River/Zimmerman
                    9. Centennial
                    10. Wayzata
                    11. Lakeville South
                    12. Chaska/Chanhassen
                    13. Forest Lake
                    14. Eagan
                    15. Eastview
                    16. White Bear Lake
                    17. Lakeville North
                    18. Hopkins/Park
                    19. Stillwater Area
                    20. Dodge County

Receiving votes: Shakopee, Apple Valley, Prior Lake, Mounds View, Grand Rapids/Greenway, Andover, Woodbury, Champlin Park, Roseville Area, Spring Lake Park/Coon Rapids

GIRLS CLASS A (first-place votes) – Nov. 30, 2016
                    1. BLAKE (10)
                    2. Breck
                    3. St. Paul United
                    4. Warroad
                    5. Thief River Falls
                    6. Northfield
                    7. New Prague
                    8. Proctor/Hermantown
                    9. Hibbing/Chisholm
                    10. Alexandria
                    11. Orono
                    12. Mound Westonka
                    13. Red Wing
                    14. East Grand Forks
                    15. South St. Paul
                    16. Princeton
                    17. Delano/Rockford
                    18. Owatonna
                    19. Moose Lake Area
                    20. New Ulm

Receiving votes: Hutchinson, Duluth Marshall

Comment

#2 Edina beat #4 HM 3-1 this afternoon!

Comment

For fans with the day off there are some good games at Braemar today:
                        12:00 Stillwater - Breck
                        2:15 Eastview - Grand Rapids/Greenway
                        5:00 Lakeville South - Maple Grove
                        7:15 Prior Lake - Edina

on paper the 5:00 game, #8 v #2, looks to be the best
                        Last edited by ne7minder; 12-26-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          For fans with the day off there are some good games at Braemar today:
                          12:00 Stillwater - Breck
                          2:15 Eastview - Grand Rapids/Greenway
                          5:00 Lakeville South - Maple Grove
                          7:15 Prior Lake - Edina

on paper the 5:00 game, #8 v #2, looks to be the best
                          Was down in the cities over the holiday and was fortunate enough to be taken to a (my first and only) Minnesota High School game, Edina vs Centennial.

Was a close game for the first two periods then Edina started turning the screws.

Couldn't help but notice Emily Oden of Edina...she blasted a laser top shelf as she was cruising through the face off circle...like it had eyes...and she shot it like a man...with maximum authority. Those I was with and I were all stunned by the shot quality, force and how quickly it was taken.

I understand she has committed to UM...you done got yourself a ringer from what I saw.

Checked her stats from a couple seasons ago...19 SOG...19 Goals! Hahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            Was down in the cities over the holiday and was fortunate enough to be taken to a (my first and only) Minnesota High School game, Edina vs Centennial.

Was a close game for the first two periods then Edina started turning the screws.

Couldn't help but notice Emily Oden of Edina...she blasted a laser top shelf as she was cruising through the face off circle...like it had eyes...and she shot it like a man...with maximum authority. Those I was with and I were all stunned by the shot quality, force and how quickly it was taken.

I understand she has committed to UM...you done got yourself a ringer from what I saw.

Stats for individual shots on goal for Minnesota high school hockey (both boys and girls) are a bit sketchy as you noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

she will pair very well with Zumwinkle who has the same sort of shot and may be a quicker skater. They are going to hurt a lot of players who block shots I am afraid.

Comment

If you would care to get a look at both Oden and Zumwinkle, Edina and Breck have a game scheduled tonight at Braemar Ice Arena, at 6:00PM. Thinking about taking that in myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X