Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    I find myself in agreement with all of your points. My question was about the fruit tree thing as there is absolutely no occurrence in girls' hockey that matches your example. You must be referring to boys hockey. I am now assuming that you mean Apple Valley. However, no high school girls team with a fruit reference in the name (and for clarification it is a fruit and a valley, not a fruit and a tree) has been single time champion. Apple Valley girls won twice.
    I thought Minnesota ended open enrollment that enabled the public schools to "recruit"?

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Just watched former Gopher and Hastings HS player Erica McKenzie being interviewed between periods of the Edina, Eden Prairie game. She is the Fan Relations Manager for the Minnesota Wild.

My wife thought the Old Dutch potato chip ad with Gigi Marvin was very funny. It's always nice to see the former Gopher players.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I thought Minnesota ended open enrollment that enabled the public schools to "recruit"?
    Nope, open enrollment is alive and well, as long as there is room at the new school to accept incoming students from other districts. It is still against MSHSL rules, however, for coaches and other school staff to recruit athletes from other districts.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Slapshots don't mean anything at the next level.
    I agree that there are fewer opportunities for players to use a slap shot in the college game, but in the years where Minnesota's power play has been particularly deadly, the Gophers have had players who could fire bombs (Wall, Bozek, Jalosuo, Ramsey, McMillen). It is particularly effective if they can get one-timers on net.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I agree that there are fewer opportunities for players to use a slap shot in the college game, but in the years where Minnesota's power play has been particularly deadly, the Gophers have had players who could fire bombs (Wall, Bozek, Jalosuo, Ramsey, McMillen). It is particularly effective if they can get one-timers on net.
    Watching Emily Brown last night she has a very effective wrist shot that she used to score Blaine's 3rd goal. Crystalyn Hengler for Eden Prairie is very proficient with the wrist shot as well. It will be interesting to see what the Minnesota coaching staff does with Zumwinkle's shooting ability on the power play.
    I apologize for nothing... TimothyA

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    I find myself in agreement with all of your points. My question was about the fruit tree thing as there is absolutely no occurrence in girls' hockey that matches your example. You must be referring to boys hockey. I am now assuming that you mean Apple Valley. However, no high school girls team with a fruit reference in the name (and for clarification it is a fruit and a valley, not a fruit and a tree) has been single time champion. Apple Valley girls won twice.
    my apology, I have been here long enough to know that minutia is more important than the bigger picture
    do private schools recruit?
    I'm sure they do, especially if you consider advertising and reaching out to potential students as recruiting, they can't just open the doors and hope students walk in.
    but if you think public schools don't recruit, you are very, very naive
    I apologize for Timothy A.

Great and powerful wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    my apology, I have been here long enough to know that minutia is more important than the bigger picture
    do private schools recruit?
    I'm sure they do, especially if you consider advertising and reaching out to potential students as recruiting, they can't just open the doors and hope students walk in.
    but if you think public schools don't recruit, you are very, very naive
    My apology as well. Looking back to your original post it is apparent that you meant to explore the question of high school students attending something other than the nearest public school. I was confused by your example and wandered off subject.

As to your original point I too am aware of many examples of high school students attending something other than the nearest public school. In some cases the recruitment is subtle. I agree that in some cases the recruitment, by both the publics and the privates, is quite overt.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Certainly no surprise as Blake wins the class A title with a 6-2 win over St. Paul United.

Hoping for a better matchup between Edina and Blaine in the class AA final in about a half an hour.

You wouldn't know by the score but the AA championship game was more competitive than the class A championship. A really impressive performance by Edina in shutting out a very good Blaine team 4-0. As I said before in the Harvard thread, their fans will be very pleased with recruit Lolita Fidler in 2018. She had a great tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    You wouldn't know by the score but the AA championship game was more competitive than the class A championship. A really impressive performance by Edina in shutting out a very good Blaine team 4-0. As I said before in the Harvard thread, their fans will be very pleased with recruit Lolita Fidler in 2018. She had a great tournament.
    I didn't see a lot of the tournament, and hardly any of Blake. But what I saw of Edina, they looked GREAT! Skating and passing and I was extremely impressed how good they looked!

Hockey Fan

Just curious if anyone could give me a scouting report on St. Paul United players and Cornell recruits Joie Phelps and Samantha Burke?

Quote Originally Posted by mattj711 View Post
    Just curious if anyone could give me a scouting report on St. Paul United players and Cornell recruits Joie Phelps and Samantha Burke?
    I saw quite a bit of both players this past weekend, and I can tell you that SPU would never have made it to the final game, or possibly even the tournament, without these two. Phelps (the senior) was particularly dominant and a threat every time she was on the ice. Very skilled offensively, and averaged over two points a game over SPU's 30 games. Burke, the junior, seems more of the power forward type, and is very adept at carrying the puck in and around traffic. She averaged 1.7 PPG over her 27 games.

There is, however, one big caveat, and that is these impressive numbers were built over SPU playing a pretty weak schedule. According to KRACH there were 38 teams that played a harder one. This leaves me to speculate that each will have a big adjustment to make when going up against D1 competition (as a junior, Burke will obviously have another year in high school to further develop her skills). But after going through the inevitable freshman adjustment process I do believe both will develop to become impact players for the Big Red. And perhaps most importantly I'm glad they won't be playing for that other team that also wears red just east of here.

Hockey Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I saw quite a bit of both players this past weekend, and I can tell you that SPU would never have made it to the final game, or possibly even the tournament, without these two. Phelps (the senior) was particularly dominant and a threat every time she was on the ice. Very skilled offensively, and averaged over two points a game over SPU's 30 games. Burke, the junior, seems more of the power forward type, and is very adept at carrying the puck in and around traffic. She averaged 1.7 PPG over her 27 games.

There is, however, one big caveat, and that is these impressive numbers were built over SPU playing a pretty weak schedule. According to KRACH there were 38 teams that played a harder one. This leaves me to speculate that each will have a big adjustment to make when going up against D1 competition (as a junior, Burke will obviously have another year in high school to further develop her skills). But after going through the inevitable freshman adjustment process I do believe both will develop to become impact players for the Big Red. And perhaps most importantly I'm glad they won't be playing for that other team that also wears red just east of here.
    Thanks!!

Grace Zumwinkle(Breck) takes MN Ms Hockey and Brianna Blesi(Maple Grove) takes MN Ms Goalie!

Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any misspelling-

"Edina, the top seed in the Class 2A state tournament, has eight players committed to Division-I universities, including six members of its current senior class."

Saturday night's 4-0 shutout of a very talented Blaine team was really impressive. Congrats to former Harvard star Sami Reber, "the first woman head coach to win the Class 2A girls hockey state title" and the first ever state championship for Edina as well.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/25...t-state-title/

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    that hasn't been true for about 25 years now, many of the best teams have transfers from other schools in their district, form outside their district, and even from outside the state.

That's why they're the best teams and why the playing field is not level. You see, 98% of the small town, outstate teams are all home grown. What they have is what they've got. You look at that list from Blake and it's just sickening. They have some of the best players transferring in from an area with two million people. I can't believe they don't have players from California to Sweden.

Funny, during state tournament player introduction they don't actually say where the players are from.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
    That's why they're the best teams and why the playing field is not level. You see, 98% of the small town, outstate teams are all home grown. What they have is what they've got. You look at that list from Blake and it's just sickening. They have some of the best players transferring in from an area with two million people. I can't believe they don't have players from California to Sweden.
    You mean like Shattuck-St. Mary's? But you can't blame the players (or their parents) for wanting to attend schools like Blake and a few others, which are on a par academically with some of the best New England prep schools. Go to one of these, excel in school and in hockey, and you have the entire universe of D1 hockey schools to choose from. All it takes is a healthy dose of athletic ability and smarts - plus lots of parents' money to fund the youth development years - and it becomes possible to attend and play for a school of your choosing. That's reality.

But getting there does not mean you have to attend a top-flight private school. One only has to look at the number of kids coming from public schools (like Edina, Blaine, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, etc., to name a few) who are recruited each year and will play for any number of D1 teams throughout the country. The catch nowadays is that for a kid to get there it almost always takes a good amount of parents money for all the off-season high-level training that's usually required for a kid to rise up and stand out compared to players of the same age. I would say the "money factor" involved with off-season training and AAA teams has been a big deal for at least the last 10 years, and it applies equally to kids going private or public. The difference is that for private, where tuition comes into play, it takes even more money.

So, because hockey has become a very expensive sport, I don't believe the "playing field" will ever become completely level (not that it's been since the proliferation of indoor ice rinks around the State here). In Minnesota, the State High School League (MSHSL) uses school enrollment for determining which class each school is assigned to, and they do this for all sports. In the near future, I don't see this changing, and they certainly will never make a single exception for girls hockey.

I do agree, however, that Blake - given their dominance of Class A in recent years - should "opt up" to Class AA and battle it out there. I'm pretty sure they would have lost to AA champion Edina this year, but it would have been a great game to see.
    Last edited by D2D; 02-27-2017 at 02:03 AM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Grace Zumwinkle(Breck) takes MN Ms Hockey and Brianna Blesi(Maple Grove) takes MN Ms Goalie!

Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any misspelling-
    You don't need to apologize for misspellings, we're all human.

A big stick tap to Ms. Blesi!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by mattj711 View Post
    Didn't see much of St Paul United to be able have worthwhile comments but I would agree with D2D that Burke (#18) is more of a power forward than Phelps. FWIW I will include a link to the 2017 Girls Hockey State Tournament central website where you can check out highlight videos of St. Paul United's games. Just click on the game scores that they were involved in and it will take you to a write-up with video.

http://kstp.com/sports/2017-girls-st...086/?cat=10564

Hockey Fan

Thanks!

Thread Information