No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones, Season V: Arya Ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones, Season V: Arya Ready?

Soooo... I can't believe we haven't seen Bran and had an update from north of the wall.

I feel like that is an important part of the story.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Soooo... I can't believe we haven't seen Bran and had an update from north of the wall.

I feel like that is an important part of the story.
      I don't think Bran's story is on the docket for this season as I read somewhere that the actors for that story line were not listed for this season's cast. Perhaps they'll make a cameo appearance while Jon is north of the Wall next week.

As to whether or not there's a cock merchant, like the twitter link has a hard time accepting, it's located east of the Narrows Sea, not in Westeros.

Also, Roose Bolton is going to get the Theon/Reek treatment by Sansa at some point in the story. And Little Finger is still the sneakiest character around the land. I really haven't been able to predict his twists at all.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I don't think Bran's story is on the docket for this season as I read somewhere that the actors for that story line were not listed for this season's cast. Perhaps they'll make a cameo appearance while Jon is north of the Wall next week.

As to whether or not there's a cock merchant, like the twitter link has a hard time accepting, it's located east of the Narrows Sea, not in Westeros.

Also, Roose Bolton is going to get the Theon/Reek treatment by Sansa at some point in the story. And Little Finger is still the sneakiest character around the land. I really haven't been able to predict his twists at all.
        I said it earlier. Littlefinger is the only person in this universe that truly knows how to play the "Game of Thrones". He's a couple episodes away from being in control of both the North and and Vale, all while the Lannisters are weaker than they've been in a long time (as Cersei explained this episode), and the Tyrells are obviously having some issues. It wouldn't surprise me if Littlefinger set the whole Sparrow thing in action too, by sending the High Sparrow to King's Landing.

Not spoiler, but theory is hidden in white: My theory for the High Sparrow is that he is actually Howland Reed. And if he is Howland Reed, I think it is possible that Reed and Littlefinger could be in cahoots, with the agreement that Littlefinger install Sansa as the leader in the North once he is done.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've seen reactions from people on twitter and facebook about this episode, saying that this is the last straw, and they're done with this series. Seriously? THIS is the last straw? You didn't see this coming? I mean, this is a show where the worst **** possible happens to the characters you like the most. If you didn't already have an inkling that this was where Sansa was heading, then you shouldn't have been watching this show to begin with.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It was telegraphed from the 2nd episode of this season.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              It was telegraphed from the 2nd episode of this season.
              It absolutely was. Also, the EXACT same thing happened to Dany in like episode 3. Why did this time cause you to stop watching?

Also, JAIME RAPED HIS SISTER ON THE CORPSE OF THEIR INCEST-BORN SON!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I've seen reactions from people on twitter and facebook about this episode, saying that this is the last straw, and they're done with this series. Seriously? THIS is the last straw? You didn't see this coming? I mean, this is a show where the worst **** possible happens to the characters you like the most. If you didn't already have an inkling that this was where Sansa was heading, then you shouldn't have been watching this show to begin with.
                Wait, what are they upset about? I thought this was one of the most interesting episodes of the season. Between the cavern of faces, the marriage scene, and of course the small matter of the queen getting arrested...
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

RAPED HIS SISTER ON THE CORPSE OF THEIR INCEST-BORN SON!
                  I don't think we will ever see a sentence like this defending something again.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Wait, what are they upset about? I thought this was one of the most interesting episodes of the season. Between the cavern of faces, the marriage scene, and of course the small matter of the queen getting arrested...
                    I didn't realize there were people upset until I saw it on facebook and twitter this morning. I get the impression that people are upset about the last scene, with Ramsey and Sansa. Don't get me wrong, it was terrible, but terrible is what this show is. As long as there is a payoff, with Sansa rising to lead the North, or Brienne slicing open Ramsey's throat, or Reek redeeming himself, I can live with this as being a stepping stone in the overall story. The rise will have that much more impact if the depths are that much deeper. (all of this assumes that they don't kill off Sansa next episode)

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I didn't realize there were people upset until I saw it on facebook and twitter this morning. I get the impression that people are upset about the last scene, with Ramsey and Sansa. Don't get me wrong, it was terrible, but terrible is what this show is. As long as there is a payoff, with Sansa rising to lead the North, or Brienne slicing open Ramsey's throat, or Reek redeeming himself, I can live with this as being a stepping stone in the overall story. The rise will have that much more impact if the depths are that much deeper. (all of this assumes that they don't kill off Sansa next episode)
                      My theory:

I'm almost positive Reek tells Sansa that he didn't kill the kids at some point. This will be a turning point for her where she gains the upper hand. You could tell he wanted to tell her in last night's episode. His face said everything. He was wrestling with his options. "Do I tell her and risk Ramsey punishing me or do I continue to let her hate me and let Ramsey continue to punish her?" I'm guessing Reek breaks out and kills Ramsey. I'm almost positive that you're right in that Sansa will rise to lead the north. WHich of course means GRRM will kill her off within the first five minutes of the next episode.
                      Code:

Comment

The bigger concern with the show's treatment of rape is the way it doesn't seem to have too many consequences in the female characters.

Dany, I guess, just kind of bit the bullet and decided to just embrace being Khaleesi (which is both in keeping with the books and probably makes sense in terms of comparison to such real life arranged marriages).

Cersei and Jaime seemingly just kind of shrugged it off, even compared to how that scene plays out from the books.

Obviously we have no books comparison for Sansa here, but I don't have a lot of goodwill with the show when it comes to the idea of Sansa being very emotionally impacted by being raped. At this point, I kind of expect the rape to be more of a like a plot point/checkmark.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          The bigger concern with the show's treatment of rape is the way it doesn't seem to have too many consequences in the female characters.

Dany, I guess, just kind of bit the bullet and decided to just embrace being Khaleesi (which is both in keeping with the books and probably makes sense in terms of comparison to such real life arranged marriages).

Cersei and Jaime seemingly just kind of shrugged it off, even compared to how that scene plays out from the books.

Obviously we have no books comparison for Sansa here, but I don't have a lot of goodwill with the show when it comes to the idea of Sansa being very emotionally impacted by being raped. At this point, I kind of expect the rape to be more of a like a plot point/checkmark.
                          I think those first 2 instances were handled in the way those characters would have dealt with them, based on the way their characters were built up. Even Cersei, which was handled fairly poorly, according to most opinions, worked for me. Think of her character, what would she do if she faced emotional distress? Lock it up inside, pretend it didn't happen, and take out anger with whichever avenue available.

Sansa isn't built like Dany or Cersei. I sure hope they handle her differently, because he character wouldn't have handled it the same.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Part of the issue with handling rape in a show like this, if it's to be handled realisticly, is to think about how things like this were handled in the Middle Ages, the era of history for which GRRM used as the basis for his story, and not with our modern sensibilities. I have to assume women were affected by such actions then as they are now, but how did they then react to it? People were more accustomed to personal atrocities then than we are now - crimes were tolerated then that we find heinous now. Did women back then follow up by being subservient to the men in a male-dominated world or lash out to take back some semblence of theirselves? Just as today, it probably depends upon the individual. Thus far, Sansa has been fairly soft, things affect her and make her quail much easier than most of the other female leads. This season she has grown tougher, under Little Finger's tutelage, so we might not see her simply lash out but rather become more involved in some plot against Ramsey.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

For some perspective, lets take a walk down memory lane to look at some past sexual relationships on GoT.

Judging Parameters: Incest? Y/N Rape? Y/N Violence Involved? Y/N Pedo? Y/N Whoring? Y/N

Cersei & Jaimie - Incest, Rape
                              Jon & Ygritte - Violence Involved (Ygritte shot Jon with a ****ing arrow)
                              Joffrey & Roz - Violence Involved (Don't need much explanation), Whoring
                              Tyrion & Shae - Violence Involved (Tyrion killed Shae), Whoring
                              Dany & Drogo - Rape, Pedo
                              Margaery & Tommen - Pedo
                              Gilly & Craster - Incest, Rape, Pedo
                              Tywin & Shae - Violence Involved (Both were killed by Tyrion)
                              Robb & Talisa - Violence Involved (Both were killed)
                              Littlefinger & Lysa - Violence Involved (Littlefinger made Lysa fly)
                              Anything to do with Ramsey - Violence Involved, Rape

I think you can count on 1 hand the amount of sexual relationships in this show that aren't ****ed up in some disgusting way, or didn't directly lead to violence and death of one of the characters. What are they? Dany and her Pit Fighter? Oberyn and his paramour?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

When you list it all out like that, it is pretty impressive.

Gilly & Craster has Violence Involved too, given the way he died, so that one hits for the cycle.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2015, 12:45 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X