Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Fan Question

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    We could have had that last year during the Tech-Kato season finale. The game went to OT, and Tech needed a win for home ice, and we needed a win to get a share of the McNaughton. Both coaches decided not to do it, Hastings saying he thought about it, but didn't want to take the Pairwise hit (not sure what Pearson's reasoning was). Still kinda bummed they didn't do it. It would have been a cool ending.
    If MTU had lost that game, Pearson was afraid of having to travel to Alaska for the first round playoff series so he stuck with not pulling the goalie to eventually keep the Tie.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      I was there Ralph. You are partly right about tiring out their goalie. We were losing 6-0 I believe and Addesa was quite upset mostly about RPI's power play. So everytime they had a PP in the third, they pulled their goalie. I know they gave up a couple of ENG but scored 3 times on the PP.
      When the mini game began, Addesa put Jamie Duncan in net and the 10 minute mini game was scoreless until RPI scored with just under 2 minutes left and added an ENG to win 2-0 to advance.
      I don't remember the game, but according to Kurt Stutt's book Skating Engineers (page 84), "After losing Game 2 of the ECAC quarterfinals to Colgate, Addesa replaced Gavin Armstrong '90 with Steve Duncan to prepare Duncan for the mini-game. Then, on every power play, he pulled the goaltender to get an extra skater to tire out Colgate's goaltender. RPI lost game 2 but won the mini-game with Duncan and advanced." That doesn't make complete sense, but it is what Kurt wrote.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"Only" 6 years ago, but seems like a lifetime. The early pulling of the Yale goalie in the third period of this game is sometimes mentioned as the game that brought Yale back as a national contender.

POSTED: 01/30/09, 12:01 AM EST | 0 COMMENTS
        NEW HAVEN - The midway point of the third period approached last Saturday, and Yale men's hockey coach Keith Allain was about to pull a desperation move.

A night earlier, the Bulldogs stunned No. 3 Cornell for their first win in Ithaca, N.Y. in 10 years. Yet with just over 13 minutes remaining against struggling Colgate, Yale trailed 4-0 and was on the verge of spoiling a huge weekend.

So Allain, sensing his team was on the verge of erupting, pulled his goaltender for an extra attacker, giving Yale a 6-on-5 advantage. It took only 18 seconds to score. Defenseman Tom Dignard's goal opened the floodgates.

The Bulldogs added three more in the final 10:45 of regulation to send it to overtime. Freshman Kevin Limbert won it with a goal 1 minute into the extra session to deliver an improbable 5-4 victory.

"The team never stopped believing they could do it," Allain said. "It's nice to see them get rewarded for that effort. The way we're playing, there was just this feeling on the bench that it [pulling the goalie for an extra skater] could work. It was a real roll of the dice, but I really felt like letting the dice roll at that point. I've never done that before."
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

This game: http://collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/mdenwis1.j06 was interesting in this regard. DU was down 3-0 to start the third, acquired a 5x3pp w/ 19:25 left, yanked the goalie to Make it 6x3. Gwoz pulled the goalie 3 or 4 times during that third period, trying to spark something. Only gave up one ENG...didn't generate a goal for themselves. Lost 4-0.

I feel like I remember a tech game similar, but can't seem to find it on chs.

r

Comment

This one:
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...michigan-tech/
            3 empty net goals
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Back when the NCAA Playoffs were 2 game total goal series, except Final 4, there were some game two's that the goalie was pulled very early.
              "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
              -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I would think the DU Seniors would like to forget that night in their Freshman year.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Back in the late 80s (I think it was about then), LSSU was playing UI-Chicago and the Lakers were not playing well and were down by 4 or 5 goals. In the 3rd period, Frank Anzalone pulled the goalie off and on for much of the period. The Lakers caught fire and came back and tied that game, and if I remember correctly won it in OT.
                  It was December 15, 1984. The Lakers pulled Randy Exelby seven times and they scored three times with the extra attacker. The Lakers won the game in overtime 7-6.
                  LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                    Dean Blaise would routinely pull a goalie halfway through the third if down by several goals...
                    He did it with 5 mins to go, down 2-0 to BC in the 2001 NC game. Tied it up. I can't remember what happened in OT.
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      He did it with 5 mins to go, down 2-0 to BC in the 2001 NC game. Tied it up. I can't remember what happened in OT.
                      He has routinely done it here, too.

This is a favorite of his when UNO is trailing in the 3rd and UNO gets a power play, and, in particular if the puck is in the offensive zone and UNO is getting the better of the play, already. Goodbye, goalie. In fact, you can count on it. I can't think of time where this has been the case that he hasn't done it. Up to this season, I can't think of a year since he's been here that I haven't see him do this, more than once a year, more than once. However, I don't recall it happening this season, as yet. He has even done this once or twice I recall where the game was tied, even. In both cases they were games that UNO "needed" to win (at the time this happened) and not tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        That is funny... I can't remember what happened that year either. I sure remember what happened the year before. 😝

Comment

Working...
                        X