Official 2015 BottomFeeder Bracketology and Site Selection Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2015 BottomFeeder Bracketology and Site Selection Thread

As had been speculated the committee has chosen the Pontiac Silverdome to host the 2015 FutileFour.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-...024806880.html

Bids for regionals will be accepted anytime between now and 1730 Newfoundland Standard Time on Feb 20.

No bids will be considered from venues outside the contiguous 48 states, or venues that are current homes to any D1 or D3 team.

PLEASE attach pictures and or links.
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Re: Official 2015 BottomFeeder Bracketology and Site Selection Thread

I live 15 minutes away from the 'Dome. What can I do to ensure minimal attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I live 15 minutes away from the 'Dome. What can I do to ensure minimal attendance?
      that's the spirit!!!

dead rats laying around outside? oh wait. I think they are all ready there.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City NJ, former home of the ECAC championships.

Comment

It appears that the results of yesterdays Beanpot semi-finals had some effect on the Weakness-Of-Schedule component of Freddie's Arbitrary Ranking of Teams that Suck, so here are the current FARTS:

1. Niagara
          2. AIC
          3. Army
          4. Princeton
          5. Sacred Heart
          6. Brown
          7. Wisconsin
          8. Holy Cross
          9. Air Force
          10. RIT
          11. Lake Superior
          12. Colorado College
          13. Alaska-Anchorage
          14. Massachusetts
          15. Canisius
          16. Massachusetts
          17. Alabama-Huntsville
          18. Mercyhurst
          19. Bentley
          20. New Hampshire
          21. Maine
          22. RPI
          23. Ohio State
          24. Ferris State
          25. Notre Dame

In accordance with what is commonly known as the "Atlantic Hockey Rule", any team with a winning percentage of .500 or better is eliminated from consideration, no matter how weak their schedule...that eliminates: Canisius, Bentley and Mercyhurst.

Next we have to be sure there is room left in the field for each conference's cellar-dweller. Using conference only winning percentages, and assuming the season ended today, the automatic qualifiers would be: Niagara (AH), Wisconsin (B1G), Princeton (ECAC), U Mass (HEA), Colo Col (NCHA) and Anchorage (WCHA). As all six are safely inside the 16 team bubble, we need no further modification.

Here's the field:
          1. Niagara
          2. AIC
          3. Army
          4. Princeton
          5. Sacred Heart
          6. Brown
          7. Wisconsin
          8. Holy Cross
          9. Air Force
          10. RIT
          11. Lake Superior
          12. Colorado Col
          13. Anchorage
          14. U Mass
          15. Huntsville
          16. New Hampshire
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
            As had been speculated the committee has chosen the Pontiac Silverdome to host the 2015 FutileFour.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-...024806880.html

Bids for regionals will be accepted anytime between now and 1730 Newfoundland Standard Time on Feb 20.

No bids will be considered from venues outside the contiguous 48 states, or venues that are current homes to any D1 or D3 team.

PLEASE attach pictures and or links.
            This site is so perfect for the event, I would suggest the Silverdome host the entire tournament - squeeze 4 rinks onto the floor (which probably makes them smaller than regulation, but who cares) and have 4 games going on simultaneously. And since all 16 teams are in the same city, you could play the entire tournament in a day, ensuring that the final will be a spectacle of uninspired hockey. Imagine playing your 4th game of the day - most of the players wouldn't even move!
            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
            Clarkson 1990

Comment

Couldn't Alaska be considered the WCHA's autobid since they are ineligble for the post season? Or does the NCAA ruling come into play here as well?
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                Why not the BGSU auxiliary rink, but during my curling class? The teams would have to dodge moving rocks while trying to play hockey. I could use the goalies as target practice. The only hockey that's ever been played there are youth practices, so the level of play would be comparable to its current use. Plus, there's no permanent seating and barely any room for spectators. Even better, there's a basic hockey class at the same time on the main rink, and BG undergrads playing hockey would be a far better draw than Holy Cross or Air Force's varsity teams, further diminishing attendance. The only downfall is that the facility is in good condition and has been recently renovated. So, what does the committee think?
                BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                  The only downfall is that the facility is in good condition and has been recently renovated.
                  "good condition" and "recently renovated"
                  kiss of death

there is a covered outdoor rink in Key West. doesn't look like its used much anymore. cons : hotels, restaurants, things to do, lots of people, possibility of publicity. pros : cockfights in town, puking in the street is acceptable, tourists wont attend, locals wont either. good chance players could get clap, OD, or both. between possible lack of ice, island time, drugs and drinking there is a high probability games dont get
                  at all.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    Couldn't Alaska be considered the WCHA's autobid since they are ineligble for the post season? Or does the NCAA ruling come into play here as well?
                    I heard that the NCAA ruling on Alaska could work in Alaska's favor for THIS tournament.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I would like to officially nominate Copper Harbor, Michigan as a regional site.

Copper Harbor offers an outdoor ice sheet next to the town's one-room schoolhouse. Plans have been in the works to build a pavilion which would serve as a roof over a future relocation of the rink, but as of now this has not begun.

This remote outpost is the furthest town in the lower 48 from any interstate highway (http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/...-highway/3449/). Air service is 40 miles away and offers only two 50 seat flights per day. The year-round population numbers under 100 residents.

The town also has no cell phone coverage, due to its location behind a ridge that blocks any tower from providing service. Only one broadcast US TV station is available over the air, a CW station in Calumet whose reception is spotty at best. The nearest originating commercial radio station is in Hancock, 45 miles away. The only broadcast signal originating from the town is a low power 200 watt weather radio station WZ-2513 remotely operated by the National Weather Service outside Marquette, which would make it the default broadcaster of the regional. Only one daily newspaper is located within 100 miles, and it only publishes one weekend edition on Saturday morning so coverage has to wait until Monday.

Based on these factors, I think Copper Harbor offers a unique package to the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        I would like to officially nominate Copper Harbor, Michigan as a regional site.

Copper Harbor offers an outdoor ice sheet next to the town's one-room schoolhouse. Plans have been in the works to build a pavilion which would serve as a roof over a future relocation of the rink, but as of now this has not begun.

This remote outpost is the furthest town in the lower 48 from any interstate highway (http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/...-highway/3449/). Air service is 40 miles away and offers only two 50 seat flights per day. The year-round population numbers under 100 residents.

The town also has no cell phone coverage, due to its location behind a ridge that blocks any tower from providing service. Only one broadcast US TV station is available over the air, a CW station in Calumet whose reception is spotty at best. The nearest originating commercial radio station is in Hancock, 45 miles away. The only broadcast signal originating from the town is a low power 200 watt weather radio station WZ-2513 remotely operated by the National Weather Service outside Marquette, which would make it the default broadcaster of the regional. Only one daily newspaper is located within 100 miles, and it only publishes one weekend edition on Saturday morning so coverage has to wait until Monday.

Based on these factors, I think Copper Harbor offers a unique package to the tournament.
                        other factors making this an attractive site - because the tournament is so early in the spring there will be no hotels or restaurants or bars or store open. in fact the residents, all 40 of them, will be out of town. this site could be a "feather in the cap" for the Futile Four. virtually no journalist can reach it. even if they did there is no way to get information in or out. I like it.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          other factors making this an attractive site - because the tournament is so early in the spring there will be no hotels or restaurants or bars or store open. in fact the residents, all 40 of them, will be out of town. this site could be a "feather in the cap" for the Futile Four. virtually no journalist can reach it. even if they did there is no way to get information in or out. I like it.
                          Yes. Make it so.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Do we have an updated FARTS?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              Yes. Make it so.
                              I am weary based upon it being an outdoor rink, and outdoor games seem to attract attendance. Location may make up for that, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X