Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

I need to restock the bar a bit. We went through 2 bottles last weekend, Woodford Double Oaked and Caol Ila 12 year. So, at least I don't have anything too expensive to buy. I think I'm going back to Laphroaig, instead of Caol Ila, I like the younger Laph better than the younger Caol. Probably will get another bottle of Woodford, since that seems to be a good fit for my bar. Going to have to replace 2 more bottles of Islay soon. My 18 year Bunnahabhain is almost gone, as is the 12 year Bowmore. Bowmore will be replaced with another bottle of Bowmore, but I will find something new to replace the Bunnahabhain. Would love to get my hands on some of that Angel's Envy Rye, that Gurt mentioned.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

I've gotten lucky that near my place is a bar/restaurant that taps about 30 beers and rotates many of them almost weekly.

I need to start writing down the good ones though. By the time I'm at the store I've forgotten.

Bought some summery beer for patio sitting. Summer Shandy and Angry Orchard. Nothing special but hits the spot when it's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Would love to get my hands on some of that Angel's Envy Rye, that Gurt mentioned.

Try Total Wine locations up by you. According to their website, they have it in stock.

$85
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Buyer beware though... many rye heavies don't love it and deride it as rum flavored rye.

I like it and find it to be quite unique, but I'm coming at it from a rum heavy's angle...

At $85, read some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I've gotten lucky that near my place is a bar/restaurant that taps about 30 beers and rotates many of them almost weekly.

I need to start writing down the good ones though. By the time I'm at the store I've forgotten.

Bought some summery beer for patio sitting. Summer Shandy and Angry Orchard. Nothing special but hits the spot when it's hot.
    I, and others around here, use the app Untappd. You check in the beers you drink, and give them a rating, so then when you are looking for a beer you have a record. Also, based on what you like, it will give you recommendations.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Try Total Wine locations up by you. According to their website, they have it in stock.

$85
    Sounds like a good lunch excursion.

And I'm not worried about the heavier rum flavor. I'm not a snob when it comes to American Whiskey, so I'd be more interested in trying something that is good, and different. I already have a standard bottle of rye, so this would be an interesting contrast. I'm much more particular about my scotch.

RIP - Kirby

Found it at Total Wine Roseville. Thanks for the suggestion! If anyone else is interested (Brent), they had about 5 bottles left.

Also picked up a DIPA from Ballast Point, Ballast Point Victory at Sea and Wasatch Ghostrider.

RIP - Kirby

Had the other Angel's whiskey, and was underwhelmed, especially given the price.

As for bbdl's Caol....when he brought out the bottle last Sat and said, "We need to finish this..." Well, challenge accepted. Nothing like just swiggin' good scotch out of the bottle.

Tonight, stopped by a store to see if they had anything good/new. They did. Avery Brewing Uncle Jacob's Stout (barrel-aged). The ABV > Price > Oz in the bottle: 16.9/14/12. Think about that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Enjoying a well deserved Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva neat after the Hawks OT victory. I fanned as hard as I could fan.

Left the bottle and an empty glass on the table at the start of the first OT...

Started around 5 with a couple of margs (Camarena reposado & Mandarin Napoleon) with our fajitas and had several Angostura 1919 & Cokes during regulation.

A good night.

Alaskan Imperial Red. Not even close to as good as the Lucid Duce. It's okay and all, but would probably not buy again. A little disappointed, given the quality of Alaskan's other offerings.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Round Barn Brewery Indecision Ale. It's good.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Big night with Real McCoy 12 and El Dorado 8 with Coke and then Plantation XO 20 & Dictador 20, both neat to celebrate the Hawks drubbing of the Ducks.

Hung out with MNS tonight at a bar, and they had two beers I have had regular versions of, but these were on nitro. The Atwater Decadent (even better on nitro!) and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (same thing!). Finished with the reliable Old Rasputin.

Bad-ss American Lager. It tastes just like Bud Light, which means it's expensive bottled fizzy water. Will not buy again.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

I was able to score five bottles of this double IPA considered to be the holy grail of that beer style.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23222/93219/

It was good, but I actually prefer this one which is also more readily available.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/90156/

Prosit!
    WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Apparently Modelo Especial has been the gold standard of beer (tv ad). I was not aware.

lubba wubba dub dub

After hockey on Saturday, I showed up to the bar and the guys already there had a couple pitchers on the table. The choices were Coors Light and Surly (Furious, I think). My first beer in over 16 months was not going to be a Coors Light. Furious was as hoppy as I remember, but it did taste better than I remembered. I think having reduced my sugar intake certainly accounted for that.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    I was able to score five bottles of this double IPA considered to be the holy grail of that beer style.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23222/93219/

It was good, but I actually prefer this one which is also more readily available.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/90156/

Prosit!
    Chillwave is great. I just moved to Cleveland so now there are two good things in the city
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Paging Gurt, paging Gurt:

New Holland is releasing a rum. Yes, they are a brewery, but have started making spirits. Their beer barrel bourbon (yes, bourbon aged in beer barrels) is quite good. I think they make a tequila, too, but no way will I try that.

Those usually go for about $30-35, so I expect the rum to be the same. Would be very interested in if you try it, and what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Paging Gurt, paging Gurt:

New Holland is releasing a rum. Yes, they are a brewery, but have started making spirits. Their beer barrel bourbon (yes, bourbon aged in beer barrels) is quite good. I think they make a tequila, too, but no way will I try that.

Those usually go for about $30-35, so I expect the rum to be the same. Would be very interested in if you try it, and what you think.

I appreciate the heads up.

I will say though that it's unlikely that I'd take a flyer on it as pretty much all of the micro-distillery rums that I've tried have been lacking.

Even as mixers, they've been weak.

If I see it in a bar and can try it that way...

In other news, Surly is now going to be distributed in Wisconsin. Doesn't matter to me as I rarely drink beer anymore, but some here may be happy.

Thread Information