Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 799

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

  1. #121
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    bbdl hosted a guys' night yesterday at his place. A couple of us met up at a liquor store that he recommended, and we were NOT disappointed. Holy selection. Beers that I tried yesterday:

    Southern Tier Creme Brulee: OH. MY. GOD. Game over. Drop mic. Walk out. This is a whole new level of awesomeness.
    Evil Twin Aun Mas Chili Jesus: mild to moderate heat, very drinkable.
    Evil Twin Ron And The Beast Ryan: Saison beer, it was okay, but subpar for Evil Twin's usual offerings.
    Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin: Appreciated the quality of the beer, but it wasn't for me.
    De Struise Brouwers Cuvee Delphine: RIS, very tasty. Definitely could drink this all day.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #122
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Cuvee Delphine was one of the best beers I've tasted. Right up there, if not better than the KBS, BCS, etc. I tasted the Cuvee Delphine, KBS (2014), KBS (2015), all on Saturday, so I had a back-to-back-to-back tasting. I'd rank them 1)Cuvee Delphine 2)KBS 2015 3)KBS 2014
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  3. #123
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Cuvee Delphine was one of the best beers I've tasted. Right up there, if not better than the KBS, BCS, etc. I tasted the Cuvee Delphine, KBS (2014), KBS (2015), all on Saturday, so I had a back-to-back-to-back tasting. I'd rank them 1)Cuvee Delphine 2)KBS 2015 3)KBS 2014
    I do find it hilarious that many craft beer drinkers are lucky to even get one of the above, and here you are having all three on the same day.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #124
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I do find it hilarious that many craft beer drinkers are lucky to even get one of the above, and here you are having all three on the same day.
    Most craft beer drinkers haven't heard of Cuvee Delphine....we all try to get the KBS, and most of us are oblivious to Cuvee Delphine. It doesn't help that it seems to be harder to get than even KBS is.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  5. #125
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Most craft beer drinkers haven't heard of Cuvee Delphine....we all try to get the KBS, and most of us are oblivious to Cuvee Delphine. It doesn't help that it seems to be harder to get than even KBS is.
    That is a good point. I hadn't heard of the Samichlaus until recently (and apparently it's hard to get). Personally, I thought it was too sweet for my tastes, but the quality was outstanding.

    I think the only one that I have heard of, and will probably never get to taste, is the 3 Floyd's Dark Lord. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are that top-notch, I just don't know about them. Yet.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Merrimack Valley
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    That is a good point. I hadn't heard of the Samichlaus until recently (and apparently it's hard to get). Personally, I thought it was too sweet for my tastes, but the quality was outstanding.

    I think the only one that I have heard of, and will probably never get to taste, is the 3 Floyd's Dark Lord. I'm sure there are others that are out there that are that top-notch, I just don't know about them. Yet.
    I guy in Lowell orders me the Samichlaus every holiday season. It is sweet but it gets better if you age it. We compared a 2009 with a 2014 this past Christmas and the 2009 was great.

  7. #127
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by UML View Post
    I guy in Lowell orders me the Samichlaus every holiday season. It is sweet but it gets better if you age it. We compared a 2009 with a 2014 this past Christmas and the 2009 was great.
    I debated buying the 4-pack at the store tonight (it's been there for a couple weeks now), age it, and give it a 2nd run. Decided that at $23, not worth the risk. Just not my style. Besides, I have a decent stash for next winter (or longer) anyway.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #128
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    I had mine last night (Samiclaus). It was really sweet. Too sweet for me, and that is saying something. I usually like the beers that are on the sweeter side.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  9. #129
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I had mine last night (Samiclaus). It was really sweet. Too sweet for me, and that is saying something. I usually like the beers that are on the sweeter side.
    Ditto. If you want to go halves on the 4 pack, and let it age, I can go back and get it. I'd risk $12.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #130
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Ditto. If you want to go halves on the 4 pack, and let it age, I can go back and get it. I'd risk $12.
    Nah, I have other beers I'd prefer to age over this.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  11. #131
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Nah, I have other beers I'd prefer to age over this.
    Cool. Looking forward to the Black Betty you tipped us off on.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #132
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,362

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    So a while back, maybe even a couple of years... a guy who owns a little liquor store tried to get me to try an orange liqueur called Mandarine Napolean. Said it would make a great margarita when substituted for Triple Sec - not that I use Triple Sec (usually Patron Citron), but you get the point.

    I balked at the $40 price tag and chalked it up to a hopeful future purchase.

    Found a bottle the other day at the grocery store on closeout for $15.


    He was correct. The margs have been wonderful (better than with the Patron and that's high praise imo)... almost as wonderful as this warm evening on the front porch.

    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  13. #133
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Tried the Samichlaus Helles yesterday. It was even sweeter than the original, and it was undrinkable. Dumped it. Won't buy it again, I'll stick to beer that doesn't suck.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  14. #134
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Went well out of my wheelhouse for a BYO6 for the weekend. 2 IPAs and a barleywine are in there. Haven't had any of them before. We'll see how this goes, and report back. Also saw Leinie's has a new Big Eddy: Royal Nectar, which is a braggot*. Sounds awesome, but didn't want to splurge for a 4-pack (yet), and single bottles were not available.

    *Braggot is quite an old drink, there is a mentioned in Chaucer, Canterbury Tales in the late 1300’s, and there are earlier references dating even further back to the 12th century in Ireland. Braggot is simply made by blending spices and herbs with mead and beer (Source: the beer snob site).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #135
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,505

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Went well out of my wheelhouse for a BYO6 for the weekend. 2 IPAs and a barleywine are in there. Haven't had any of them before. We'll see how this goes, and report back. Also saw Leinie's has a new Big Eddy: Royal Nectar, which is a braggot*. Sounds awesome, but didn't want to splurge for a 4-pack (yet), and single bottles were not available.

    *Braggot is quite an old drink, there is a mentioned in Chaucer, Canterbury Tales in the late 1300’s, and there are earlier references dating even further back to the 12th century in Ireland. Braggot is simply made by blending spices and herbs with mead and beer (Source: the beer snob site).
    A bunch of us in the group had a Braggot at Harpoon Brewery when we were Boston. It was pretty **** good.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  16. #136
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin (IPA): Nope. All the nopes. Considering I don't mind the regular Sculpin and at least appreciated the quality of the Habanero Sculpin, this was a huge disappointment. I quite literally took 2 sips, then promptly dumped it down the drain.

    Crazy Mountain Brewing Lawyers, Guns, And Money (American Barleywine): A little hoppy taste, but very smooth. Liking this one.

    So, 1 for 2 on this BYO6 so far.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #137
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout: Very well done. Recommend.

    21st Amendment Monk's Blood: surprisingly good. This was the one I was most doubtful about, and so far it's been the best of the BYO6.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #138
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,524

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Get-together at bbdl's yesterday:

    Odell Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA. It was tasty, but lots of sediment. Don't know if it was supposed to be like that.

    bbdl also had that problem with Mikkeller George (RIS). Plus, that beer was a little hoppy for the style.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  19. #139
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    36,942

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Another visit to Founders yesterday. Had the Black Rye (great), Nitro Pale Ale (meh), and Solid Gold (good light beer).
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  20. #140
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,362

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    It pays to be on (e)mailing lists with good liquor stores...

    Just got notice that one here is getting a limited shipment of Angel's Envy Rye.

    I have a bottle, but need a backup.


    Going to Louisville in June and in calling stores down there, they don't have any... in Kentucky.


    Just called and am #1 on the list. Wish I could swing more than 1 bottle ($80), but I already have a partial (mostly) and am getting a backup.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •