Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Lol. You cling to your republican ideals in the politics thread but scoff at capitalism in action.

Do you want Sunday sales in Minnesota? If it ever happens you can probably thank Total Wine.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Lol. You cling to your republican ideals in the politics thread but scoff at capitalism in action.

Do you want Sunday sales in Minnesota? If it ever happens you can probably thank Total Wine.
      I have some conservative ideas, yes, but I also believe in shopping local when I can. That's also capitalism. Support the businesses that fit your tastes. I support local whenever I can.

Edit: A local taproom/brewery, LTD in Hopkins, supports Sunday Sales. They had a Sunday Sales Pale Ale event/special release. They flat out admitted on camera it would hurt them, but it's for the consumers. They have my business. And they also make great beer.
      Last edited by The Rube; 09-19-2016, 10:08 PM.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I don't think there is a political affiliation that aligns more or less with supporting a local business, if that is what you desire.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          No. Not Tavour.

Cigar City is now owned by Oscar Blues. I imagine it is only a matter of time before the distribution is expanded.
          Thank God too, because reports were that InBev was interested around the same time this past spring.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            I don't think there is a political affiliation that aligns more or less with supporting a local business, if that is what you desire.
            There's not. Capitalism is the survival of the fittest and best. If my local stores were pure crap (and there are some), I don't shop there. I don't like Total Wine because they have enough power to shut down the stores I like (and same goes with Wal Mart, although I have other issues with them). This is choice. This is freedom of the market. This is capitalism.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Arguing that a business shouldn't be allowed to exist and saying that you won't patronize are different things. As long as the reasons for denying the license are legit, and it would have ended in the same result regardless of the company applying, then that is what we have to live with, with the liquor laws we have.

Edit: this wasn't supposed to be a quote of myself.... haha
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Arguing that a business shouldn't be allowed to exist and saying that you won't patronize are different things. As long as the reasons for denying the license are legit, and it would have ended in the same result regardless of the company applying, then that is what we have to live with, with the liquor laws we have.
                Minnetonka said they had enough liquor stores, which is where TW said they'd close down Big Top, leaving the same number of stores within the city. And that is what TW does. They move in, undercut other stores, and eliminate competition, then they jack prices.

I prefer the old-school customer-business relations. You aren't just a number. And kudos to Minnetonka for listening to their populace.

And for the record, there's a location in Plymouth that will be open in a year or two, once the business that is taking over OC Plymouth fails. Only competition is a crappy Byerly's liquor store, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Minnetonka said they had enough liquor stores, which is where TW said they'd close down Big Top, leaving the same number of stores within the city. And that is what TW does. They move in, undercut other stores, and eliminate competition, then they jack prices.

I prefer the old-school customer-business relations. You aren't just a number. And kudos to Minnetonka for listening to their populace.

And for the record, there's a location in Plymouth that will be open in a year or two, once the business that is taking over OC Plymouth fails. Only competition is a crappy Byerly's liquor store, really.
                  Right, but that strategy is fine. That is business. If we, as consumers don't like it, we shouldn't patronizing them (which in this case, neither of us do). The argument of having too many of a store in a city, and denying a permit is one I don't have a problem with. Cities need zoning, and city planning, and having a certain number of certain businesses can be part of that process. Saying that a business should be denied because their business practices are like Total Wines is BS though. Its like if I believed InBev shouldn't be allowed to be sold in MN because I don't agree with their business practices. That is asinine. I don't agree with them, so I don't patronize them, and I encourage others to do the same. But in no way should they be prohibited from operating their business, unless they are violating some law.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Right, but that strategy is fine. That is business. If we, as consumers don't like it, we shouldn't patronizing them (which in this case, neither of us do). The argument of having too many of a store in a city, and denying a permit is one I don't have a problem with. Cities need zoning, and city planning, and having a certain number of certain businesses can be part of that process. Saying that a business should be denied because their business practices are like Total Wines is BS though. Its like if I believed InBev shouldn't be allowed to be sold in MN because I don't agree with their business practices. That is asinine. I don't agree with them, so I don't patronize them, and I encourage others to do the same. But in no way should they be prohibited from operating their business, unless they are violating some law.
                    Agreed. I blurred some lines there, in my posts. You said it better.

Comment

51st Ward Brewing - Krispy Karl: Solid Russian Imperial Stout. This brew is stronger on the coffee notes and weaker on the chocolate notes. Although I prefer the opposite, this is still drinkable. A good amount of flavor to digest. If you're in town for the Frozen Four, check it out... B/B- Grade.

Maplewood Brewing - Fat Pug: Disappointing. Bland flavor and a bit heavy on the hops. Not for me. 1st time I came across this brewery so we'll see what else they offer, but not a great start.

Lakefront Brewing - Brandy Barrel Aged Cherry Lager: *** was I thinking? So I was intrigued by "Barrel Aged" and "Cherry"... Yea, that didn't pan out. There Cherry flavor came through, but was sour and tart. Also a strange, brandy influenced aftertaste. For a 1st offering from Lakefront, very disappointing. Seems to have a good rep here in Chicago....
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Regarding Smalley's in Stillwater and their rum list...

Probably the largest list I have seen by a decent margin and I give them major props for that.

There were only a couple that I hadn't had that I wanted to try though, and of those, most were too steep for a pour.

Still... finding Appleton 50 - even at $500 a pour - was impressive.

Tried the Don Pancho 18 at $15 and it was good, but trying it saved me the expense of a whole bottle as it's not better than others I can get for less.

A couple of mistakes on their list though:

Kirk & Sweeney 12 for $25 - an entire bottle is $25 in the store.

They had the Diplomatico rums backwards and overpriced.

Anejo was $25 a pour when a bottle is $17.

Grand Reserva was $20 a pour when a bottle is $25.

Grand Reserva Exclusiva was $15 a pour when a bottle is $37.

Still... a pretty all-encompassing list of what's available in Minnesota and they earn my respect for that at least.

Comment

I'm at a little high end place in Austin called Moonshine Patio Bar. I am currently drinking the best old fashioned I've ever had and it ain't close.

This place is amazing.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Went to Jester King tonight. They are amazing.

Bringing home a couple of their farmhouse imperial stouts, a Figlet, a Buddha's brew, a Biere de Miel, a Famtome deal Rey.

 Buddha's Brew Farmhouse Ale Blended & Brewed w/ Kombucha Tea 4.0% abv
                            Farmhouse ale (90%) blended & refermented with Classic Kombucha (10%) from Buddha's Brew Kombucha in Austin, Texas.

 Figlet Farmhouse Ale Fermented with Smoked Texas Figs 5.9% abv
                            Dry farmhouse ale fermented with Texas figs smoked at Franklin's Barbecue in Austin, TX.

Biere de Miel Farmhouse Ale Brewed with Honey 5.9% abv
                            Dry, tart, farmhouse ale fermented with Texas wildflower honey.

Fantôme del Rey Farmhouse Ale Brewed with Truffle Honey, Coriander, & Black Peppercorns 8.8% abv –
                            Inspired by a recipe first brewed in collaboration with La Brasserie Fantôme, this version blends young beer w/ mature, barrel-aged beer.

 Black Metal Farmhouse Imperial Stout 10.8% abv
                            Pitch black in color, notes of chocolate and roasted malt, balanced out by aggressive hop bitterness.
                            Code:

Comment

Cross post from Facebook about Moonshine Patio Bar

This place is all kinds of wonderful. You need to come here and spend some cash. The food is ridiculous and is only eclipsed by the whiskey list and the knowledge of the bartenders.

Their reserve is something special. I hadn't heard of half of these ryes and bourbons. That's saying something. Their prices are fair from top to bottom.

Don't come here expecting to get a mich golden. If you like American whiskey or whiskey cocktails, stop in. They are your friend.

I knew I was in good hands when I was asked what whiskey I wanted in my Manhattan and then if I wanted it up or down.

Their reserve list is comparable to the Fitz in Michigan. Though slightly more expensive but with a bourbon and rye emphasis instead of scotch.

Between the food and whiskey, this might be my favorite place west of the Mississippi.

If you decide to visit, get here early and make fiends with the bartenders. They've treated me well. After a few manhattans they opened up and offered me tasters instead of full blown pours.

This is a special place. Very special.
                              Code:

Comment

http://punchdrink.com/articles/when-...beer-rankings/

The guy kinda has a point.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X