Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I've heard about Lunch.

A group of (mostly) Gopher fans from GopherPuckLive and a few random fans like the posters formerly known as MeanEgirl and nmupiccdiva hit up the Fitzgerald in Eagle River MI (UP) this past weekend. One of the owners brought out some good stuff for us:

2010 Goose Island Vanilla Bourbon County Stout
    2011 Goose Island BCS
    2012 Goose Island BCS
    2012 Barrel Aged Dark Horse Plead The 5th Imperial Stout

The regular menu had:
    2013 Goose Island Lolita
    Barrel Aged Dark Horse Scotty Karate Scotch Ale
    2016 Founders KBS (tap and bottles)

And some B. Nektar Meads:
    Stupid Man Suit
    Tuco-Style Freakout (you won't get it if you're not a Breaking Bad fan)

There were many other quality beers, for sure. It was glorious.
    Heavy on the Inbev.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Heavy on the Inbev.
      Blah blah blah. There were a ton of non-InBev things, too.

Full Founders' tap takeover, and a bunch of good meads and other craft beers.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Blah blah blah. There were a ton of non-InBev things, too.

Full Founders' tap takeover, and a bunch of good meads and other craft beers.
        Non Inbev is good. The ones you listed were mostly Inbev. Given their crooked business practices, trying to control distribution and choke out craft brands, to the detriment of the consumer, there is no reason for any craft beer fan to ever drink an Inbev brand again.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Non Inbev is good. The ones you listed were mostly Inbev. Given their crooked business practices, trying to control distribution and choke out craft brands, to the detriment of the consumer, there is no reason for any craft beer fan to ever drink an Inbev brand again.
          Technically, the 2010 and 2011 BCS were not InBev.

You're getting as bad as the Anti-Surly people.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Technically, the 2010 and 2011 BCS were not InBev.

You're getting as bad as the Anti-Surly people.
            Except that I have a valid reason. Have you not read about what Inbev is trying to do to kill the craft beer industry?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Hm. Kinda surprised to see 2010/2011 variety avalible. I thought the projected shelf life was 5 years.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Hm. Kinda surprised to see 2010/2011 variety avalible. I thought the projected shelf life was 5 years.
                One of the owners brought it out from the cellar. He has a habit of doing things like that for our group. It helps there's around 16-20 of us, and we spend a LOT of money. Next year, some of us are going to gift him some harder-to-find beers like Surly Darkness and such as a thank you.

The 2011 BCS was a little boozy, even after all these years, the 2012 was awesome. The 2010 Vanilla was God*mn glorious.

bbdl: I'm well aware. There are few macros I knowingly buy, and guess what? Cellared old BCS would always be one of them.

Comment

Nice find with the cellared beer. I can only hope the bottles I'm keeping will turn out decent. We'll see...

And in case anyone was un aware of the issues with this year's batch of Bourbon County...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...715-story.html

Comment

Nice find with the cellared beer. I can only hope the bottles I'm keeping will turn out decent. We'll see...

And in case anyone was un aware of the issues with this year's batch of Bourbon County...

Oh we're aware. And ****ed. They have ****ed the whole thing up. **********s.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Fitzgerald (where we stayed) in Eagle River MI had the 2015 BCS, and the owner that we know said he checked the dates. melmac ordered a bottle, and it was fine. It was part of the reason he brought out the 2011-12 BCSs, in case we wanted to buy those instead (obviously we did).

Comment

Picked up a 6 of Founders Dirty Bastard (one of my favorites) and a 4 of Founders ReDANKulous, which is a special red IPA they just released.

Either way, I now have good, quality beer to drink instead of that sh-tty Mexican beer I bought from Sam's Club.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Eauld Alliance from Projekt Brewing in Eau Claire is the best scotch ale I have ever had. You'd swear it had been barrel-aged somehow but it wasn't.

Sweet, strong, and doesn't let you forget it's a beer with a bit of hops

It's one of the best non-barreled beers I've ever had. It might be a top 10-15 beer I've ever had.

I've given a number of non-BA beers fives on Untappd, but none appear to be more traditional than this one. Everything else has something extra like coffee.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Trying Arcadia's Loch Down Scotch Ale for the first time...

Just kinda "meh" in all honesty. Pretty sour for my tastes. Also gives off a "flat" vibe to me... Not a good 1st effort from Arcadia for me. Anyone had and solid options from them? I want to support Michigan brews, but am not seeing much from Arcadia to keep moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Just kinda "meh" in all honesty. Pretty sour for my tastes. Also gives off a "flat" vibe to me... Not a good 1st effort from Arcadia for me. Anyone had and solid options from them? I want to support Michigan brews, but am not seeing much from Arcadia to keep moving forward.
                              Whitsun Ale.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Can't say I've had them, but if I did, I don't recall, and not because I was schweeled. Take that with a grain of salt.

Re-tried Surly Ten tonight (hit up the brewery). While their regular offerings are meh at best, they continue to hit it out of the park with their anniversary beers. I think a store or two still has some around, might need to pick up a spare bottle, as my current spare is slated for Christmas dinner this year. I mentioned the review that best suits this beer ("tastes like a Christmas cookie") and have gotten a lot of agreement on that assessment....

Comment

Working...
                                X