Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

I've almost completely given up on drinking in the past year or so. I've never cared much for most liquors and to my horror I'm losing my taste for beer. My window had closed to the point where it was really just Marzens and other malty summer darks, and now I'm not even really enjoying those.

I won't miss drinking per se but I'm going to miss enjoying beer. It was fun.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For you Michiganders:

A place here in the Twin Cities is having a Founders' tap takeover. 13 taps, including KBS, CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout, last year's batch; it wasn't made this year), Project Pam, Nitro Rubaeus, and Mango Magnifico are the notables...so far. Cannot wait.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Full list of the takeover:

1. Founders Centennial IPA
        2. Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale
        3. Founders All Day IPA
        4. Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
        5. Founders Mango Magnifico
        6. Founders Nitro Oatmeal Stout
        7. Founders CBS Imperial Stout
        8. Founders Mosaic Promise
        9. Founders Nitro Rubaeus
        10. Founders Azacca IPA
        11. Founders Pale Joe Pale Ale
        12. Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown
        13. Founders Project Pam
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Made a beer run yesterday...

Got a sixer of Blueberry Maple Stout by Saugatuck Brewing. This was... Different Like the packaging implies, it's a blueberry pancake in a bottle. Not quite sure what to think of this. Initially it was interesting, but it became laborious to finish the bottle. I give them a "C" for ingenuity and being different, but not something that will be returning once the 6-er is gone.

Tallgrass Brewing Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat - Finally came across this. I'm very impressed. I like the sweet, cinnamon toast like flavor in this. Very smooth beer. This is something an inexperienced beer drinker can pick up and run with, yet is still pleasing to an established palate. Probably only good for 1 can per sitting, but that can is enjoyable. "A-" for a final grade.

Didn't crack them, but also picked p a 4-pack of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter Nitro and a bottle of Saugatuck Brewing's Barrel Aged Neapolitan Milk Stout. Really curious about the Neapolitan. I really like the original.
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The Buffalo Sweat, was that with or without the added cinnamon? I loved both, but some have VERY differing opinions on the cinnamon one.

And aged Neapolitan? I've had the normal Neapolitan and I loved it.

I should report back for the Founders thing:

The CBS had a LOT more maple flavor than last year (this was last year's batch). Delicious. The oatmeal stout was wonderful, and one of the guys in our group mixed 50/50 Rubaeus/Oatmeal and it was GLORIOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Made a beer run yesterday...

Got a sixer of Blueberry Maple Stout by Saugatuck Brewing. This was... Different Like the packaging implies, it's a blueberry pancake in a bottle. Not quite sure what to think of this. Initially it was interesting, but it became laborious to finish the bottle. I give them a "C" for ingenuity and being different, but not something that will be returning once the 6-er is gone.

Tallgrass Brewing Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat - Finally came across this. I'm very impressed. I like the sweet, cinnamon toast like flavor in this. Very smooth beer. This is something an inexperienced beer drinker can pick up and run with, yet is still pleasing to an established palate. Probably only good for 1 can per sitting, but that can is enjoyable. "A-" for a final grade.

Didn't crack them, but also picked p a 4-pack of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter Nitro and a bottle of Saugatuck Brewing's Barrel Aged Neapolitan Milk Stout. Really curious about the Neapolitan. I really like the original.
              I had a pint of Saugatuck Blueberry Maple Stout at Burger Moes a few montgs ago. I really liked it, but still would probably be able to drink one in a sitting.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I had a pint of Saugatuck Blueberry Maple Stout at Burger Moes a few montgs ago. I really liked it, but still would probably be able to drink one in a sitting.
                How maple-y are we talking? I think I need to find some of this.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  How maple-y are we talking? I think I need to find some of this.
                  If I remember correctly, it is pretty prominent. As in, it isn't subtle. I liked that, I like maple flavors, and I think they go will in a stout. I could easily see how many people would not like that added sweetness.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If I remember correctly, it is pretty prominent. As in, it isn't subtle. I liked that, I like maple flavors, and I think they go will in a stout. I could easily see how many people would not like that added sweetness.
                    Good. I find that a lot of things that claim to be "maple" don't actually taste like maple. Looks like Saugatuck now has statewide distribution in Wisconsin (as of very recently). I remember I tried finding the Neapolitan Milk Stout a few years ago, and had to get it in Chicago. I've seen that recently at the frou frou grocery store by my mom's house, so I'll try there.

Comment

I'd say that the Blueberry flavor is more prominent than the Maple part, but the syrup component is very noticible. Like I said, it's a blueberry pancake in a bottle

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Good. I find that a lot of things that claim to be "maple" don't actually taste like maple. Looks like Saugatuck now has statewide distribution in Wisconsin (as of very recently). I remember I tried finding the Neapolitan Milk Stout a few years ago, and had to get it in Chicago. I've seen that recently at the frou frou grocery store by my mom's house, so I'll try there.
                        There are a COUPLE stores that I know of around west/northwest metro of Mpls, but it's not common. The most common are the Neapolitan and Serrano offerings.

Comment

Breckenridge Nitro Vanilla Porter Cans - ***

Not sure if I got a bad batch, if I messed up, or what. Chilled the cans to 40*F, popped the cans, waited a moment to let the Nitrogen do its thing then poured hard into a glass. Had a decent head just like the offerings from a Nitro Tap I've had, but it lacked the aroma and flavor that I got from the tap. Little vanilla flavor present. It was like flavorless CO2 bubbles. And the beer itself was flavorless as well. It was like a flat soda, for lack of a way to describe it when compared to the tap I had about 6 months ago.

I got 3 more cans, so I'm gonna try it again at a later date. If the results are similar I'm disappointed tremendously. I'm hoping it was just a bad can or something I messed up since this is the first go around with a Nitro can.

Comment

Breckenridge Nitro Vanilla Porter Cans - ***

Not sure if I got a bad batch, if I messed up, or what. Chilled the cans to 40*F, popped the cans, waited a moment to let the Nitrogen do its thing then poured hard into a glass. Had a decent head just like the offerings from a Nitro Tap I've had, but it lacked the aroma and flavor that I got from the tap. Little vanilla flavor present. It was like flavorless CO2 bubbles. And the beer itself was flavorless as well. It was like a flat soda, for lack of a way to describe it when compared to the tap I had about 6 months ago.

I got 3 more cans, so I'm gonna try it again at a later date. If the results are similar I'm disappointed tremendously. I'm hoping it was just a bad can or something I messed up since this is the first go around with a Nitro can.
                            Breckenridge has been ruined by Inbev. No point in buying their stuff anymore. Their 25 year anniversary beer was an infected disaster, just like Goose Island BCS...also Inbev.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Breckenridge has been ruined by Inbev. No point in buying their stuff anymore. Their 25 year anniversary beer was an infected disaster, just like Goose Island BCS...also Inbev.
                              Their regular Vanilla Porter was fine this year, and the nitro version that a local place has was excellent. I can attest to the 25 Anniv, my bottle was bad, got a refund for it.

As for the BCS, two variants were infected off the bat, and now the regular version is now turning, depending on what batch/etc you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Their regular Vanilla Porter was fine this year, and the nitro version that a local place has was excellent. I can attest to the 25 Anniv, my bottle was bad, got a refund for it.

As for the BCS, two variants were infected off the bat, and now the regular version is now turning, depending on what batch/etc you have.
                                Just don't buy Inbev, and you'll not have a problem.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X