Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

The most I have paid is about $25 for some 30YO scotch/the oldest Pappy Van Winkle bourbon (IIRC, it's 23YO). The Pappy was a little overpriced, but I hadn't ever seen it for sale before, and haven't since, so in a way, it was worth it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Founders Rubaeus, a favorite.
      Founders Curmudgeon, which I have never had.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Founders Rubaeus, a favorite.
        Founders Curmudgeon, which I have never had.
        Curmudgeon is underrated.

A local place will be having a Founders tap take-over in about a month, including KBS, Canadian Breakfast Stout , and Project Pam. Other Founders will be on tap, they are just unsure what they will be. I cannot wait. FTR, the CBS was NOT made this year, this is last year's batch, which, well, BONUS AGING!
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Curmudgeon is underrated.

A local place will be having a Founders tap take-over in about a month, including KBS, Canadian Breakfast Stout , and Project Pam. Other Founders will be on tap, they are just unsure what they will be. I cannot wait. FTR, the CBS was NOT made this year, this is last year's batch, which, well, BONUS AGING!
          I like the Curmudgeon.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Bon Appetit tried some weird beers and not all of them were terrible. Apparently seafood beer is a thing now. No, thank you.

Comment

Yeah, I tried a basil lobster beer in Tampa. It was not good.

I think it was dogfish head.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So will this whole flavored/infused beer thing run its course at some point?

I mean wine coolers pretty much went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Wine coolers were how high school senior boys (or girls, I guess) got high school sophomore girls drunk in 1987. I haven't had infused beer, but I doubt it has stopped tasting like beer, which means it's an ineffective delivery vehicle for the target. Yeah, it should die off quick.

God bless rum & coke.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Under normal circumstances, I agree completely with the disdain for flavored beers. However..........
                    Rare Bird Nuts to Butter
                    Experimental peanut butter chocolate brown ale. Over 1/2 pound of peanut butter per gallon and a touch of chocolate makes this brown ale one you won't forget. 19IBU
                    Sounds disgusting and tastes divine.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Yeah, I tried a basil lobster beer in Tampa. It was not good.

I think it was dogfish head.
                      That stuff was TERRIBLE. A rare miss by Dogfish Head.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The best ones will stick around. Currently having a Ballast Point Thai Chile Warrior, a wit with Thai chiles and lime. Great heat, good flavor.

And if one likes stouts, but doesn't like any of the Dragon's Milk variants (chiles, chocolate/coffee, vanilla chai, or raspberry) you are one odd duck.

Comment

From the previous thread...

"7 Fathoms Cayman Rum

Here's a write up...

"Made by man and matured by nature, Seven Fathoms Rum is the first and only spirit made entirely in the Cayman Islands. Handcrafted in small batches by master distillers Nelson Dilbert and Walker Romanica in their Georgetown, Grand Cayman distillery, Seven Fathoms Rum is aged underwater at a depth of forty-two feet, or seven fathoms.

Using only locally grown, organic sugarcane, Dilbert and Romanica distill Seven Fathoms Rum in a Christian Carl copper pot still. Once distilled, Dilbert and Romanica pour the rum into used oak bourbon barrels to age. Instead of simply leaving the barrels to age on dry land though, Dilbert and Romanica cache the barrels in a secret location off the shore of Grand Cayman.

While it's no secret that shipping wine and spirits on boats has traditionally produced higher quality drinks, Dilbert and Romanica realized that they could replicate these oceanic trips by simply allowing the tides and waves to push and pull on their barrels. The gentle motion of the waves and the alternating pressure of the water during the rising and ebbing tides helps push Seven Fathoms Rum deep into the pores of the oak barrels, extracting all of the rich oak and bourbon flavors from the wood, which, in turn, creates a complex rum with extraordinary depth of character and flavor."

Wanted to try this because of the story/process and the fact that it's highly rated and has won awards. Wouldn't spend that kind of money on a novelty small batch rum without the ratings and awards.

Also have a special affinity for the Caymans as I honeymooned there."

I never did get back to the thread on this one.

At $60, it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a spirit - and that's saying something.

It's thin with almost no complexity and it's not even good with Coke. It's similar to other micro-distillery rums that I've tried... in a word... lacking. You just can't disguise a lack of aging and that's where the micro-distilleries fail in terms of rum from the ones I've tasted.

I dumped my bottle the other day. It doesn't deserve a spot on my shelf... or even in the back room amongst the overstock.

I'll leave my top shelf rums (Plantation 25, Dictador 20, El Dorado 12, etc.) out of this... heck, I'll even leave my premium mixers (Angostura 7, Cruzan Single Barrel, Plantation 5, etc.) out of this, but even Cruzan Gold (which I only use in blended drinks and goes for about $12) is far, FAR superior.
                          My sister and I each bought a bottle of this when we were on our cruise. She and her boyfriend both liked it. I haven't had the opportunity to try it, yet. I don't drink much anymore, so it'll probably sit for awhile before I get to it. We also got a Tortuga rum sampler and a couple of bottles (vanilla and dark) of Big Black Dick. I don't know if it's any good, but it'll be fun to drink while playing Cards Against Humanity.
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Founders' Sumatra Mountain.

Excellent beer. Coffee-infused brown ale.

Will be having a big tasting tomorrow of some whale beers, will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                              My sister and I each bought a bottle of this when we were on our cruise. She and her boyfriend both liked it. I haven't had the opportunity to try it, yet. I don't drink much anymore, so it'll probably sit for awhile before I get to it. We also got a Tortuga rum sampler and a couple of bottles (vanilla and dark) of Big Black Dick. I don't know if it's any good, but it'll be fun to drink while playing Cards Against Humanity.

I really like the Tortuga Gold rum. First had it on my honeymoon in 94 and have purchased additional bottles over the years. Have a bottle and a half on hand.

It's not actually distilled on Grand Cayman (Barbados and Jamaica iirc) and the company's most famous product is their rum cake.

I had read a review of Big Black Dick a few years ago. Despite the review, I'd probably buy a bottle just for the novelty and the opportunity to offer my friends some Big Black Dick.

Review here: https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-rev...caribbean-rum/

Fairly entertaining review.

There's a Ron de Jeremy rum that I will someday buy, but it's actually probably quite good considering that Don Pancho makes it.

Comment

Had many a great beer last night, and we even did a blind taste test of IPAs and Stouts. I'll have to get the results from bbdl/he'll post them, but some interesting results, for sure.

Also score an Abyss Cognac and Rye by pure luck yesterday (the latter, we cracked, and it was gooooooooooooooooood).

Comment

Working...
                                X