Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

I'm looking forward to a glass of wine in about 3 hours when I get out of work. It's been a long few nights. Have been drinking LaBelle Winery out of Amherst, NH. I'll be enjoying a Seyval Blanc with some poached eggs and toast before bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Any other ports?
      Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Falmouth or Ocho Rios?

Was just in Falmouth a month ago. I grabbed a couple bottles of Jamaican Rum Creme and a couple bottles of Flor De Cana (7 and 12).
      Docked - Labadee, Haiti - but I don't know that there's much else there but beach time.
      Docked - Falmouth, Jamaica.
      Tendered - George Town, Grand Cayman.
      Docked - Cozumel, Mexico. We're doing an excursion here, so that'll take up most of the time.

We've been waiting for this trip ever since they announced Tampa as a host again. Figured I may as well see what good stuff I could try to find; just not sure what the good stuff is. I don't drink a whole lot anymore, so I'm open to most suggestions.
      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
        Docked - Labadee, Haiti - but I don't know that there's much else there but beach time.
        Docked - Cozumel, Mexico. We're doing an excursion here, so that'll take up most of the time.

We've been waiting for this trip ever since they announced Tampa as a host again. Figured I may as well see what good stuff I could try to find; just not sure what the good stuff is. I don't drink a whole lot anymore, so I'm open to most suggestions.

My suggestion is to enjoy the local blended drinks while you're there.

I have a better bar in my basement than most (all?) of the places I've ever been down there, so I don't even worry about looking for the high quality stuff. I just grab a frozen drink and soak in the beauty and atmosphere of where I'm at.

If you find a local bottle that reminds you of your trip, THAT far outweighs trying to find some gem that you have no other connection to.

At least, that's been my experience.

Grand Cayman, btw, is maybe the single most expensive place to drink that I've ever been to.

Flor de Cana were good choices by HP1015. I like both of those although they are also easily available here - the key is the cost savings.

Comment

• Originally posted by melmac View Post

Awesome, what ship? I was on Independence o/t Seas.

Let me HIGHLY recommend the "new world adventure" sailing excursion in Labadee. Spend a few hours on a beautiful 62' sailboat, going close by to where Columbus sailed in to the islands. Spent the time drinking some rum punch and some local Jamaican beer. Absolutely fantastic way to spend a few hours there, as you said it's mainly a beach resort otherwise. I only went to Falmouth and Labadee, so I can't suggest anything for the western ports.

Gurt, I got both of them for like $41 total. I believe one is a 1L, the other 750ml.
          Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 03-25-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Reporting back from RumFest 2016:

Agnosta 1919: had a slight...burn? Not quite the right word, but there was that certain feel to it. Very thin, also, in texture, not as sweet. It was ok.
            Cruzan 5YO: similar to the Agnosta, but a touch smoother.
            Cruzan Single Barrel: A little sweeter, and definitely smoother than the 5YO (had one right after the other, another person who did the same thing agreed).
            El Dorado 15YO: previously commented on, and everyone else who tried it had the same views.
            Kilo Kai: nothing of note on this one. It was just meh.

The host also decided to make a Caribbean version of a "Bailey's"-type cream (used the Kilo Kai) which was good-God-awesome. He's made about 3 other versions of this type of liqueur in the past, and he definitely has a knack for it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Reporting back from RumFest 2016:

Agnosta 1919: had a slight...burn? Not quite the right word, but there was that certain feel to it. Very thin, also, in texture, not as sweet. It was ok.
              Cruzan 5YO: similar to the Agnosta, but a touch smoother.
              Cruzan Single Barrel: A little sweeter, and definitely smoother than the 5YO (had one right after the other, another person who did the same thing agreed).
              El Dorado 15YO: previously commented on, and everyone else who tried it had the same views.
              Kilo Kai: nothing of note on this one. It was just meh.

The host also decided to make a Caribbean version of a "Bailey's"-type cream (used the Kilo Kai) which was good-God-awesome. He's made about 3 other versions of this type of liqueur in the past, and he definitely has a knack for it.

Angostura... like the bitters.

I've had the 1919 and I like it, but not enough to stock it after my first bottle ran out. Have so many others in that price range that I like better. The 5 and the 7 are excellent for high end rum & Cokes.

I'm not familiar with the Cruzan 5, but I keep their "Aged" gold and light rums on hand for blended drinks, in which they are excellent. I'll also take the gold along when going to the beach or out on the river or somewhere else that I don't want to take one of my bar top bottles for fear of them getting scuffed up. It makes a really nice, if not, "high end" rum & Coke.

The Single Barrel is quite AWESOME in a rum & Coke. Simply delicious, but at $30+ (used to be in the low 20s), it's too pricey to mix and I don't love it neat. I no longer have any.

I have an affinity for Cruzan coz I first had it on our Virgin Islands trip (see my comment to melmac) and it's made on St. Croix. It's the best "cheap" rum that I know of and heads and tales above the other lowest common denominator macro rum - Bacardi.

Never heard of Kilo Kai but assume it's from Hawaii?

Edit: Oh yeah, and you brought the best of the bunch.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-26-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

And yes... when I have a rum & Coke, I have a GREAT rum & Coke.

I don't **** around.

Comment

Duly noted. All of it.

hp - That would be great if we didn't have little people to consider. I'm hoping we can find a nice spot on the beach and let them play for awhile.
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Just remembered:

Also tried Bones, and I'd rank that as a run of the mill compared to the others. Good, but nothing of note.

Edit: the Kilo Kai is from Curacao, apparently.
                    Last edited by The Rube; 03-26-2016, 11:57 AM.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Gurt, you ever had Medellin rum? I got a bottle of 12 year old Medellin in Bogota. We tasted it last summer, best 15 dollar bottle of rum I've ever tasted.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Gurt, you ever had Medellin rum? I got a bottle of 12 year old Medellin in Bogota. We tasted it last summer, best 15 dollar bottle of rum I've ever tasted.
                        That was some good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Nope.

Doesn't look like it can be purchased around here.

The only Columbian rums that I've had that I know of are the Dictador line of which the 20 is a favorite sipper that I keep stocked.

Had the 12 also, but REALLY didn't like it.

Comment

For the locals: There IS some Lift Bridge Coffee Stout out there, although I've only seen it at one store. It's really good, but I bet it will be better in a couple months when the coffee flavor settles down a bit.

For others:

Bought a bottle of Green Flash Dia De Los Serranos, a double stout with serranos. Anxious to try it, as I've only had one other Green Flash before.

Finally, KBS should be hitting stores as early as tomorrow, but most likely next week some time. Have fun hunting that one down. I should be getting a couple bottles from 2 stores near me (reserved already, those stores' bottles will not be for general public), but other stores may have some for the people who have a certain dedication level in beer-hunting.

Comment

Well that was fun, just picked up 6 bottles of KBS, 2 from one place and 4 from another.
                              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Ended up with 6 bottles of KBS, drank one, and one is going to DX, as he asked anyone for an extra. Still delicious, and not as boozy as years past.

Bought (and am drinking) a Hoppin' Frog DORIS The Destroyer. Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout (hence the acronym). This beer could not be thicker or blacker. And it's wonderful. Estimating a 3+ hour timeframe to drink the bomber. Yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46kXH6GGtT0

Comment

Working...
                                X