Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Founders' Spectra Trifecta. Every year, Founders makes a special beer for the ArtPrize event in downtown Grand Rapids, and this year's beer is a kolsch-style ale with hints of lemongrass, chamomile, and ginger. This drinks as smooth as herbal tea, but it's beer, and is far tastier.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Arcadia Ales (Battle Creek, MI) Loch Down, their Scotch Ale. I do like darker, heavier beers...
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Made a big trade with bbdl this weekend, some whales involved.

Some beers were a matter of convenience, not really hard to find, depending on area you live, but in the end it was worth it to both of us. The totals:

I gave up:
        Deschutes 2015 Abyss (x2)
        Deschutes 2015 Dissident
        Lift Bridge Barrel Aged Silhouette (think: Surly Darkness/Three Floyd's Dark Lord)

I got:
        4 Bell's 30th Anniv
        Boulder The Dude's D'Spare
        Avery Vanilla Bean Stout (x2)
        Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I was initially excited to see Bell's HOPSLAM available at my local liquor store until
          I was told that it was only available in aluminum cans this year.
          I of course would prefer it in bottles even though the beer guy there assured me
          that beer keeps better in aluminum cans. I'm still not sold on that, so...
          I decided to buy local and save big $s getting a case of this which I totally enjoy.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/793/120802/
          WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

Originally posted by fritz View Post
            I was initially excited to see Bell's HOPSLAM available at my local liquor store until
            I was told that it was only available in aluminum cans this year.
            I of course would prefer it in bottles even though the beer guy there assured me
            that beer keeps better in aluminum cans. I'm still not sold on that, so...
            I decided to buy local and save big $s getting a case of this which I totally enjoy.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/793/120802/
            Considering that Surly only distributes cans for their primary runs, I think we can safely put that to bed. I'm not sure they would sacrifice quality if they didn't have to.

Sure, they do bombers, but those are for limited runs.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The technology in canning has come a long way. You no longer get that metal taste, and obviously, light does not get into the can, which is a killer of beers.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'm surprised bottlers never created a thing paper covering for the bottles prior to the advancement of cans not leeching their flavor into the beer. It would've been so simple, just ask Lea & Perrins.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Successful beer run today.

Hit up Hammerheart Brewery (Lino Lakes, MN, on the northern side of St Paul, or so, for the non-locals) for a couple reasons.

1. Imperial Raspberry Rauchbier aged in rum barrels. Holy f* that's a delicious and dangerous beer (13.1%, IIRC, could be 13.5%).
                  2. The BA Dublin Raid (bourbon barrel aged peat-smoked Irish red ale)

Refilled my howler with the Dublin Raid, and my growler with their smoked oatmeal stout. Sampled their Cascadian Ale, NOT for me. It's quality, but quite hoppy.

Stopped at the G-Will up there since it was a couple blocks away, and the BP G-Will has a better bomber selection. Picked up Clown Shoes Moses' Misfits, an Imperial Cream Ale w/Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans, and their Entertainer, a red ale aged in red cabernet barrels.

Also took a chance on Deschutes' Zarabanda, an ale with lemon verbena, pink peppercorn, sumac, and dried lime. Some collaboration with some chef. Sounds interesting, and it was a 15% discount for 4 bombers (bought 2 of the Moses), so why not?

Comment

Arcadia Ales Loch Down, their Scotch Ale. I think I like Founders' Dirty Bastard more in terms of Scotch Ales.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Arcadia Ales Loch Down, their Scotch Ale. I think I like Founders' Dirty Bastard more in terms of Scotch Ales.
                      Orkney Skull Splitter. Best one, IMO. Hands down.

Comment

Had Black Rocks Brewing and Ore Docks while in MQT. Coconut Brown by Black Rocks is one of my favorite beers ever. So good.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Can't get that one here, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Can't get that one here, though.
                            Really? It's pretty widespread here. Direct from Scotland. Talk to your store clerk, maybe get a special order. It's not a whale. It's a year round non-special release beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Eh, its good, but I have had several other Scotch ales that I like better than Orkney.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Starting off the game with a Rogue Mocha Porter.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X