Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    ...even tickles the taint of my Balvenie 30.
    Didn't need to know that, and that is from having every Balvenie up to 21YO.

But, would be interested in just a taste of this rum.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Understandable. I know that same feeling.

If it motivates you at all, there are two of us who had it that night who are now in the market for a bottle.

The same two people are committed to making this the Rummer of 2016. We've both more or less conquered whiskey and wanted to get into rum.

Though, I'm very curious as to who wouldn't give this two thumbs up after trying it.

This was one of the best distilled spirits I've ever had. Up there with the George T Staggs, Elijah Criag 23s, and even tickles the taint of my Balvenie 30.

I'm sure it's nice, but there are a lot of REALLY nice rums in the $35-$55 range, so something that is $100+ needs to be impeccable or universally beloved for me to take the risk on it.

I've had the El Dorado 21, the Zacapa 25 XO, the Flor de Cana 21 and the Pyrat 1623 and while all were quite good to varying degrees, none were two or three times as good as some that I've had that are far less expensive. In fact, I actually was quite disappointed in the El Dorado 21.

I've got my eye on a couple of $100+ rums, but I have to go to Chicago to get them and it looks like my day after Xmas plan is thwarted coz my kid's coach just scheduled a 9:45am practice that day.

Gonna be in Rochester for a tourney next week, so hope to find something cool. Last year I was able to get their last bottle of Angel's Envy Rye and a bottle of Dos Maderas 5+5 rum - aged for 5 years in used bourbon barrels and 5 more years in used sherry casks.

Wanna grab another Dos Maderas and hope I can find something(s) new.

Enjoy your rum journey. I'm certainly enjoying mine. Rum is far more diverse than you (probably) expect.

Comment

My brother got me s bottle of 12-year Appleton and a Rum King gift box with glasses. My mom got me two bottles of Dark Fatha and 20 cans of Bent beer (12 maroon and bold and two four packs of other beers).

I looked at it when I opened it and looked back at them and said, "man, what are you guys trying to tell me?"

Clearly they love me.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Bought a 4 pack of Ommegang "Three Philosophers". Excellent!

My son brought home some Cisco Brewery (Nantucket) Seasonals which I look forward to trying (nice Christmas present!)
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Mentioned in the Lodge, but I get to sample Sam Adams Utopia tonight. It's a 24oz bottle that retails for $200. Can't wait.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Mentioned in the Lodge, but I get to sample Sam Adams Utopia tonight. It's a 24oz bottle that retails for $200. Can't wait.
              They're selling 12 two-ounce samples for $15 each, plus an additional pint. If the Utopia bottle sells for $200, then they're already losing $20 on that bottle, plus another, say $5/pint that you get in addition to the sample, and they're down a total of $95 for this event. (I went to SCSU, so I can do math.) That's not even figuring labor costs into this thing. Hmm...
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                They're selling 12 two-ounce samples for $15 each, plus an additional pint. If the Utopia bottle sells for $200, then they're already losing $20 on that bottle, plus another, say $5/pint that you get in addition to the sample, and they're down a total of $95 for this event. (I went to SCSU, so I can do math.) That's not even figuring labor costs into this thing. Hmm...
                I'm guessing it's more to get people in and have more beer (and food) afterwards. That is where the profit will lie. And remember, that price is retail. Pretty sure they got it for less than that. The pint you get is the Sam Adams Winter Ale.

Comment

The Utopia was delicious. Exceeded my high expectations. Very cognac-like.

Comment

Had to go get some beer to drink for tonight, so also grabbed some new ones to try that were suggested by the store owner.

New beers:

Peche Mortel
                    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1141/10325/

TenFidy
                    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483/

Southern Tier Creme Brulee
                    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43687/

Then I also picked up Bell's Expedition Stout (6 pack, planning to age atleast 3-4 of them), Bell's Java Stout (6 pack), Left Hand milk stout nitro (6 pack), and Founders Breakfast Stout (4 pack).

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Had to go get some beer to drink for tonight, so also grabbed some new ones to try that were suggested by the store owner.

New beers:

Peche Mortel
                      http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1141/10325/

TenFidy
                      http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483/

Southern Tier Creme Brulee
                      http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43687/

Then I also picked up Bell's Expedition Stout (6 pack, planning to age atleast 3-4 of them), Bell's Java Stout (6 pack), Left Hand milk stout nitro (6 pack), and Founders Breakfast Stout (4 pack).
                      I'd like to know how the Crème Brulee comes out....
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        I'd like to know how the Crème Brulee comes out....
                        I'll do my best to remember to let you know. Store owner did mention it's pretty sweet, but I've tended to enjoy those types of stouts.

Comment

The Creme Brulee is outstanding. Even at room temp, it's still one tasty beer.

Actually, all that you bought except the Peche (which I haven't had) is outstanding. Well done, sir.

Comment

Please pour ten fidy in a glass where you can appreciate the head. It's a thing of beauty.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Please pour ten fidy in a glass where you can appreciate the head. It's a thing of beauty.
                              I always appreciate some head when I can get it.

Comment

Goose Island IPA. Not that hoppy.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X