Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 809

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

  1. #181
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    109,205

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Stopped by a Jamaican bar in Hager City yesterday with bbdl. Had the Ale Asylum Ambergeddon, which was pretty solid. Also got my New Glarus fix by having the Spotted Cow and Two Women.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, Dane
    Posts
    1,612

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Prima Pils w/venison burgers…

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfnI0hcYCXs
    WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

  3. #183
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    37,343

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    O'Hara's Irish Red at dinner tonight, and I'm following it up with Tri-City Brewing Russian Imperial Stout.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  4. #184
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Already mentioned this on GPL, but I feel like I need to tell the world.

    Avoid Flat Earth Sunburst at all costs. Don't even smell it, or taste it. It was so bad that I set it on the opposite side of the table at the bar, because after tasting it, the smell of it made me gag. The taste ruined my taste buds, I swear. It took almost my entire next beer to get that taste out of my mouth. I had no idea what the stuff was when I ordered it, but I thought I'd give it a try, how bad could it be. I now fully understand the flaw in that logic. They claim it is a fruit beer, but they must have used rotten moldy fruit or something.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  5. #185
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    I can't believe that a "fruit" beer would suck.

    SHOCKED... I am.


    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  6. #186
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Passing through Chicago on Wednesday on way to Louisville and will stop at Binny's to pick up a bottle of Plantation Multi Island 10 Sweet Smoke.


    Really excited to try this one.

    http://www.rumgallery.com/plantation-multi-island.html


    Gonna get some other stuff too (a backup of Dictador 20, Diplomatico Reserva, Plantation Panama 8 plus an impulse purchase or two I'd imagine), but this one is the highlight and the reason for the stop.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  7. #187
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I can't believe that a "fruit" beer would suck.

    SHOCKED... I am.


    Some are quite good. Most are much closer to a wine than a beer, though, so you have to know what you're getting, and when to drink it. Some of the best examples out there are from New Glarus. Their Belgian Red, Strawberry Rhubarb and Serendipity are all very well done for fruit beers.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  8. #188
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Whatever Nancy.


    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  9. #189
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Already mentioned this on GPL, but I feel like I need to tell the world.

    Avoid Flat Earth Sunburst at all costs. Don't even smell it, or taste it. It was so bad that I set it on the opposite side of the table at the bar, because after tasting it, the smell of it made me gag. The taste ruined my taste buds, I swear. It took almost my entire next beer to get that taste out of my mouth. I had no idea what the stuff was when I ordered it, but I thought I'd give it a try, how bad could it be. I now fully understand the flaw in that logic. They claim it is a fruit beer, but they must have used rotten moldy fruit or something.
    sour beer? Just looked it up on untappd... you couldn't find a rating lower than 0.25?

    Sure it wasn't just skunked?
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  10. #190
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    sour beer? Just looked it up on untappd... you couldn't find a rating lower than 0.25?

    Sure it wasn't just skunked?
    I suppose it is possible that the lines were bad, or it went sour. I don't think it was supposed to be sour, and I like sour beers, it didn't taste anything like a sour beer I've had before. It had a seriously nasty smell and taste. I've had beers that were "bad" or "sour" because of improperly cleaned lines, or taps, and this didn't taste like that.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  11. #191
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,837

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I suppose it is possible that the lines were bad, or it went sour. I don't think it was supposed to be sour, and I like sour beers, it didn't taste anything like a sour beer I've had before. It had a seriously nasty smell and taste. I've had beers that were "bad" or "sour" because of improperly cleaned lines, or taps, and this didn't taste like that.
    I had a "pumpkin" beer from belgium once... it was like an alcoholic V8 vegetable drink. Sometimes beers are just bad ideas.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  12. #192
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Is it odd that I'm almost as excited to go to Binny's today as the actual reason I'm going to Chicago - a U2 concert?


    Can I get out of there under $200?

    Luckily I already have so many of the things I'd want. The temptation is to grab backup bottles. Need to resist that.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  13. #193
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Is it odd that I'm almost as excited to go to Binny's today as the actual reason I'm going to Chicago - a U2 concert?


    Can I get out of there under $200?

    Luckily I already have so many of the things I'd want. The temptation is to grab backup bottles. Need to resist that.
    I think I'd be more excited to go to a liquor store than a U2 concert as well. Any liquor store.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  14. #194
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    To be fair, I'm not more excited. I just love going to a store that may have a hidden gem that I wasn't expecting.


    Also excited to buy some Hawks championship gear today.

    You know what that feels like?
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  15. #195
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    To be fair, I'm not more excited. I just love going to a store that may have a hidden gem that I wasn't expecting.


    Also excited to buy some Hawks championship gear today.

    You know what that feels like?
    To wear ******y clothes, or to go to a liquor store that might have a hidden gem?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  16. #196
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    To wear awesome clothes, go to a gargantuan liquor store that will undoubtedly have a hidden gem and then get to see one of the all time great rock bands all in one day? I wish I was you.

    I know, right?

    Some of us are living the dream today, no doubt.


    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  17. #197
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    $206 for 4 bottles. Yikes.

    And 2 of them were backups of stuff I already have.


    Seriously, Binny's South Loop location is a freaking candy store.

    They had the Appleton 50 yo ($5000) in their locked room of collectibles. Also had some Scotch that went for 5 times that amount.

    Could see them through the glass and snapped a picture of the Appleton.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  18. #198
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    29,489

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Binny's is the ****.

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  19. #199
    Glorified Gravedigger
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Racing through Time Zones
    Posts
    2,497

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Binny's is the ****.
    I don't think this can be said too many times.

    I've noticed the price on Redbreast 12 y/o has gone up recently. Still a great value but disturbing
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  20. #200
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    109,205

    Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    I don't think this can be said too many times.

    I've noticed the price on Redbreast 12 y/o has gone up recently. Still a great value but disturbing
    All whiskey has gone up in price. Around here, though, the price of Jack has gone down, while Evan Williams has gone up. And Powers Irish whiskey is now more expensive than Jameson.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •