Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    No.

Oh dear god no
    I'll keep you posted
    I trust both Alton and Serious Eats since they both take a science-based approach to food.

Comment

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Now for a comment about an ETOH beverage where age REALLY matters:

Went on a road trip to KY. My brother did the Maker's Mark ambassador thing so we picked up his personalized bottles. Did the tours, etc. Picked up several very fine bourbons. However, the main thing was we were able to pick up a couple of bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. This might just be the best bourbon I've had. It makes my George T. Stagg look like Kesslers. Buy it if you find it. Call me if you find it!
      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
      Groucho Marx
      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
      Ron White
      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        While I am a beer drinker, this season we're moving on to eggnog. Will be making my mom's traditional eggnog for our holiday gathering (rum based) and starting a batch of Alton Brown's aged eggnog (Hennessey, Knob, and Meyer's). Makes about 3 liters, so I'm thinking of putting it in pint jars and sampling every few months to find the sweet spot. Per AB, it's quite good even after a year in the fridge. Serious Eats says 3 weeks at a minimum to get good flavor. Per the comment section (which is amazingly refreshing and enlightening about how awesome comment sections can be), this is even good after 2 years. Most important is air airtight seal and refridgeration.

Thecomicbookguy has a spreadsheet and photo log of the bourbon he ages in our home barrel, thinking of doing something similar with the 'nog.
        Good luck. In my experience (consuming, not preparing) eggnog is like venison -- if you nail it you have achieved heaven, but err even a little along any dimension and you have a mess.

I hear the colonial fortified ciders (stone fence, rattleskull, jack) are much more forgiving, but I'm not a cider guy.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
          Now for a comment about an ETOH beverage where age REALLY matters:

Went on a road trip to KY. My brother did the Maker's Mark ambassador thing so we picked up his personalized bottles. Did the tours, etc. Picked up several very fine bourbons. However, the main thing was we were able to pick up a couple of bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. This might just be the best bourbon I've had. It makes my George T. Stagg look like Kesslers. Buy it if you find it. Call me if you find it!
          COTD.

I have a full Kentucky and Tennessee trip planned that I'm going to pull the trigger on some day. Seven days of traveling the bourbon trail finding great hooch, music, and food. The first whiskey I ever purchased was Elijah Craig 18 back when it was under $50. Now it's over $120 if you can even find it. EC makes great hooch.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            COTD.

I have a full Kentucky and Tennessee trip planned that I'm going to pull the trigger on some day. Seven days of traveling the bourbon trail finding great hooch, music, and food. The first whiskey I ever purchased was Elijah Craig 18 back when it was under $50. Now it's over $120 if you can even find it. EC makes great hooch.
            This is COTD.

Had their 23y/o ($300/bottle) that my brother felt was even better than the Barrel Strength. He's wrong but only minimally so. Even picked up some Heaven Hill Bonded* because it was the tourist thing to do.

* "A quality bourbon that might not blow your mind, but the price sure will"
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

Tragedy on the highways.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                How is vodka "handmade"?

Also, "Tito's Vodka" sounds a little like "Vladimir's Rum."

Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  How is vodka "handmade"?
                  Apparently you have to ask Tito.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    Apparently you have to ask Tito.
                    OK, I invited that.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      OK, I invited that.
                      Don't hang the curve.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                        This is COTD.

Had their 23y/o ($300/bottle) that my brother felt was even better than the Barrel Strength. He's wrong but only minimally so. Even picked up some Heaven Hill Bonded* because it was the tourist thing to do.

* "A quality bourbon that might not blow your mind, but the price sure will"
                        I've been lucky enough to have the 23 a few times. It is very good, but not worth the price when the 18 is as good for half the price. Oddly enough, I've never had the 12.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

People drive to Iowa - by choice! -and camp out to get their hands on a beer.

I think I’d rather do the third world country thing. And I don’t smoke.
                          I camp out for Darkness every year, but that's more for the night before and the giant bottle share that happens.
                          I have waited overnight for Forager's Magnus (Rochester MN); then again, I bought it for $30 and sold it 90 minutes later for $200 (could have gotten closer to $300 for it). Only 100 bottles were released to the public.

Most breweries will allow you to bottle-share in line, it's kinda fun. Get to try some good stuff.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Very few things in life are worth waiting in line for.
                            Code:

Comment

Very few things in life are worth waiting in line for.
                              6+ times ROI is one of them. Paid for my gas and the other beer I bought from Forager, plus a little extra.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Maybe. Not unless we’re taking at least a grand.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X