Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

To celebrate a good day of work, I'm splurging. Enjoying a Boulevard Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout bomber. Very tasty stuff, highly recommended.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I saw a poster on the train today for "Whisky Live" New York 2015:

Sample from over 300 different scotches, bourbons and whiskies from around the world!

[A general admission ticket] includes a souvenir Glencairn tasting glass, show brochure, full dinner buffet, live entertainment and access to the whisky sampling event.
      Apparently "Whisky Live" has a year-long series of tasting events in various cities around the world. The drop-down menu on the home page shows 19 different countries, it looks like at least half a dozen US cities throughout the year as well.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Does anyone have any recommendations for good breweries/brewpubs (just need food and beer) in the Lansing, MI area, or a bit north of there? We are flying in there just before lunch time, and we're trying to find a good place for lunch before we head north.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          A few of these might be found in this thread. Just saying...

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-19-ty...896742331.html
          I'M NONE OF THOSE!!!! *happy dance*
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            My department does a monthly happy hour that goes out to 45 people with a new location each month. By May I will absolutely be done losing weight and beer will be back on the table. Happily, May is also the month we're scheduled to go to the Surly Brew Pub. While I'm not generally a hoppy beer guy, I might have new tastes now. This will be a good test of that idea.
            Maybe they'll have a few different things. Unless a brewery goes strictly on its reputation (Green Flash, San Diego, for example) there's always something different on their list.

To me, my favorite breweries are the ones that offer pilot beers, brewery only drafts, and other experimentals. That way, if you're not thrilled with their standard line then there's other opportunities and a chance to do something different.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Bell's Smitten Golden Rye Ale. I need more.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Maybe they'll have a few different things. Unless a brewery goes strictly on its reputation (Green Flash, San Diego, for example) there's always something different on their list.

To me, my favorite breweries are the ones that offer pilot beers, brewery only drafts, and other experimentals. That way, if you're not thrilled with their standard line then there's other opportunities and a chance to do something different.
                Surly mainly relies on their reputation and a few of their annual releases (the numbered series and Darkness, for sure; minor releases like Abrasive/etc).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Surly mainly relies on their reputation and a few of their annual releases (the numbered series and Darkness, for sure; minor releases like Abrasive/etc).
                  Surly usually has some interesting stuff at the brewery, not just their standard lineup.

Right now they have:
                  Bender
                  Coffee Bender
                  CynicAle
                  Hell
                  Furious
                  Witch's Tower
                  Fiery Hell
                  Cacao! Bender
                  Abrasive
                  Todd the Axe Man
                  Mild
                  Overrated
                  Devil's Work

Of those, I'd only call 6 of them "regular" beers for Surly, 7 if you want to count Abrasive. There are plenty of new things to try. I'd really like to taste Fiery Hell.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For taproom stuff, that's a bit different. I'd say most taprooms have stuff you can't get anywhere but there. I find a lot of that when I visit CO. I was referring to canning/bottling new and different beers. Founders has been doing a lot of different things in the past couple years, for example, while Surly has pretty much remained the same for their retail products.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

For taproom stuff, that's a bit different. I'd say most taprooms have stuff you can't get anywhere but there. I find a lot of that when I visit CO. I was referring to canning/bottling new and different beers. Founders has been doing a lot of different things in the past couple years, for example, while Surly has pretty much remained the same for their retail products.
                      Well, since he posted about going to the Surly taproom...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Well, since he posted about going to the Surly taproom...
                        I was referring to Patman's post, and most of those Surly taproom offerings, I've heard of before. I'm just saying they don't change their beers much; they have their reputation. IMO, that is why Hammerheart is all over the board with their beers. They are still building their reputation, and have more leeway to experiment.

Comment

I was referring to Patman's post, and most of those Surly taproom offerings, I've heard of before. I'm just saying they don't change their beers much; they have their reputation. IMO, that is why Hammerheart is all over the board with their beers. They are still building their reputation, and have more leeway to experiment.
                          I've been to enough breweries to get a sense of what goes on. No, you aren't going to have a lot of random **** out to the public at the various liquor stores... I was trying to address St. Clown's concerns about having a good time given some of their beer styles.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

And Patman was referring to the same post of St. Clown's I was...we're talking about taproom offerings.

And yeah, you have heard of those beers before, but you can't go to the liquor store and buy them. They're taproom (or ABR) specific offerings. They're beers that you wouldn't have tried from Surly if you are only familiar with the their canned/bottled beers.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Killed off my Zacapa 23 Solera while cleaning the basement for a party that will be here tomorrow.

Was a solid 3 fingers neat.

Feelin' awlright!

That's a **** fine rum. So smooth with no burn and a wonderful depth and sweetness.

Not planning on restocking it right away, but might have to after I kill something less desirable on the top shelf.

It's so much more worthy than some I still have, but I have no room right now and truth be told, I have an embarrassing number of bottles.

Moved onto the Corzo Reposado neat. Another one with zero burn.

I'm no tequila expert, but this is sublime.

Comment

Getting a few New Glarus sours in a trade in a few weeks. Pretty excited to try Serendipity and Wisconsin Belgian Red.
                                Old Monster Records

Comment

Working...
                                X