Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Sampling from my collection of Bourbon County this afternoon...

Really surprised how mellow the 2014 has become. I seem to remember it being the "booziest" of the BCBS that I've had. It had very strong Bourbon flavor. Now the flavors are still there but they are much more mellow...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Sampling from my collection of Bourbon County this afternoon...

Really surprised how mellow the 2014 has become. I seem to remember it being the "booziest" of the BCBS that I've had. It had very strong Bourbon flavor. Now the flavors are still there but they are much more mellow...
    After even 6 months, those will mellow out. They seem to mellow faster than some other similar styles.

Had the regular BCS (2017) on tap yesterday. It holds true to the good versions of the last 2 years: it's not as boozy, just a tinge. Got 2 bottles each of the Regular and Coffee from my store yesterday; there are a few customers at that store where they will hold bottles for us without us even asking. The normal folk were only getting Limit 1 Coffee BCS there, otherwise.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Why is it that Michigan has the best breweries and wineries around. My wallet is on fire right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Why is it that Michigan has the best breweries and wineries around. My wallet is on fire right now.
    For national "regional" breweries, I've long said Founders is the best (judging all their beers from top to bottom). Overall for the body of all breweries? I'd put CO and MN in the mix. Don't know enough about CA/OR to really discuss them but I imagine they are up there in the top 5.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    After even 6 months, those will mellow out. They seem to mellow faster than some other similar styles.

Had the regular BCS (2017) on tap yesterday. It holds true to the good versions of the last 2 years: it's not as boozy, just a tinge. Got 2 bottles each of the Regular and Coffee from my store yesterday; there are a few customers at that store where they will hold bottles for us without us even asking. The normal folk were only getting Limit 1 Coffee BCS there, otherwise.
    Agreed on it mellowing out. I just remember thinking that the 2014 was a "bourbon w/beer flavors" added not the other way around.

I figured they would mellow over time, but I would think the bourbon notes would hold their profile.

Agreed on it mellowing out. I just remember thinking that the 2014 was a "bourbon w/beer flavors" added not the other way around.

I figured they would mellow over time, but I would think the bourbon notes would hold their profile.
    In general (with a few exceptions, and probably got lucky on those), about 3 years is the max to hit the prime flavor balance. BCS seems to mellow a bit quicker than the others. Example: 2012 Darkness was sublime, but 2013 was missing something (as of this past March or so). I tend to stick to 1.5-2 years at most, unless I buy from someone's cellar. It's just enough to lose the edginess, but still has all of the flavors going on strong.

Will be having a BCS Coffee for the game tonight, see how that rolls, fresh.

Anyone else going to pick up the Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout tomorrow? Curious about all the hype on this.

Anyone else going to pick up the Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout tomorrow? Curious about all the hype on this.
    I've had it twice on tap. Once in MI about 6 months after release (little maple) and then about a year after release in MN (ALL THE MAPLE). I will be hunting for it, to an extent. My store KNOWS I want all they'll sell me, so we'll see what happens.

Lucia Apologist

Lol

Beer dorks.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Which is hilarious, since Surly released year-old Darkness right around the same time as the article. The article is a joke.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Which is hilarious, since Surly released year-old Darkness right around the same time as the article. The article is a joke.
    lol

you didn't even read it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

lol

you didn't even read it.
    Yes I have read it. That article came out quite a while ago.

Jerard is a ****ing dumbass. He's proven it over and over again, and it always gets highlighted in various beer groups.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Jerard is a ****ing dumbass. He's proven it over and over again, and it always gets highlighted in various beer groups.

Now, that Leinie's that has been sitting there for 3 years? Toss that out.

Deschutes' Abyss and Black Butte's Anniversary Year beers, until this year, actually had a "Best AFTER" date. So, yes, age some stouts, barleywines, and porters.

Lucia Apologist

Or you can, you know, age beers and realize youíve wasted your time and money oxidizing the **** out of your beer and everything youíve aged is objectively inferior to when the day youíd bought it.

Or you can, you know, age beers and realize youíve wasted your time and money oxidizing the **** out of your beer
    The top 3 verticals I've had, all in the past year:

2004-2016 3Floyds Dark Lord
    2012-2016 Surly Darkness
    2011-2015 Boulder Killer Penguin

Add to that some other older beers, like 2007 Darkness, 2012 Founders Breakfast Stout (NOT KBS), 2014 and 2015 Indeed Rum King...

In those verticals you can literally TASTE the arc from "too old" to "perfect" to "too boozy/sweet/etc."

There is a beer, forget the name, that ON THE BOTTLE says it's good until 2027. It was bottled in 2012. bbdl found one at the Fitz in Eagle River that has a later date than THAT. IIRC it was some odd lambic. The bottle I had is STILL boozy fresh. And I can go get more tomorrow, the store near me has a bunch left. LTD's 3rd Anniversary beers (various) even said on the bottle "Best after Dec 2017" and they were released in June.

SOME beers DO need aging (Bruery, looking at your "diabetes in a bottle" special releases) to even out all the flavors going on and provide a robust balanced beer. Most do NOT need aging, of course. It comes down to style, ingredients, barrel-aging if applicable, etc. Lots of factors. Then yes, it is a guessing game of sorts, of when that beer hits its prime.

General rule is 5 years tops. From my experience, 2-3 years in the max in general.

Lucia Apologist

Or, youíve deluded yourself like I did into the notion that aging wine improves wine (it doesnít, it just changes it) also applies to other alcoholic beverages.

Then you start to understand why aging wines is thought to improve a given wine. That the tannins in red wine that some find too astringent change with time to form other molecules that reduce the astringency of a wine arenít really present in beer anywhere near the concentration they are in red wine. When you age wine, even for 2-3 months you get a reduction of the fruit flavors but youíll also find the wine less astringent. You have to balance the reduction in astringency with the loss in the floral notes.

The vast majority of beers that are claimed to be the most improved through aging are beers with a high alcohol content that tend to come with an enormous residual sugar content especially when compared to a dry wine. These beers also donít have the aggressive tannic quality a young wine might have. The sugars may drop out of the flavor profile, but that doesnít mean itís better. It means itís less sweet but youíll also see an increase in that cardboard character that tastes like ****.

Iíve aged beers all the way out to seven years. At no point have I thought, ďMan, this is so much better now than when I drank it fresh.Ē I compare my tasting notes between the aged beers and my fresh bottles. In the end, only one beer had ever improved and I canít prove it was the aging that improved it. That was the Huna down in Tampa.

Iíve changed my mind over the last year. People who have told us all to age beers are full of ****. Anything over a year has destroyed the beer. Eithe rit becomes too acidic, too shallow, or too boring.

7 years is most likely too old, and you get the "soy sauce" flavor that is mentioned in the article. That is one thing I agree with, overall.

You have mentioned you like that overly boozy taste in BAs, and I like that, too. Do I prefer it? Depends on the mood. "Better" depends on the person's palate. I prefer a more balanced beer, if I were pressed to make a choice. But there is a "not better" in play, also. Honestly, one of the best beers I've had in the past year was the 2012 Darkness, and that is an opinion that is not uncommon. Whatever they did with that particular batch...it worked.

No delusion here, hence me mentioning that 2004-2016 vert of Dark Lord. Doing that vert gave me a HUGE point of reference as to how a beer changes over time. The 2012-2016 vert of Darkness helped back that up, although that is a smaller sample size.

Part of it is a matter of taste, and part of it is how the brewer brews it. Some do brew a beer with cellaring in mind. Some don't. *shrug* To say "never age beers" is ridiculous, and especially coming from a brewer whose brewery recently released a beer that has been sitting at their brewery for a year. They are in essence saying "Buy our old beer that is no good!"

Lucia Apologist

If youíre brewing with cellaring Iím mind, it mean you are imparting flaws hat need to be corrected. Brew a better beer.

When Iíve done verticals I find anything past a year old tastes like cardboard and old coffee grounds. Those flavors are far more pronounced compared to the awesome coffee, fruit, and barrel aromas and flavors that are lost after even six months.

Iím not saying never. all Iím saying is people are aging them too long. 2-3 months tops 99% of beers. 1 year for 100%. And at that point, itís not aging, itís just laziness.

Thread Information