Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

FTR, I don’t have space for upright. I’m slowly converting my beer collection to a wine collection. It’s probably gonna take some time but the beer is all going off that I need to start to be killed off fast.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Why?
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        FTR, I don’t have space for upright. I’m slowly converting my beer collection to a wine collection. It’s probably gonna take some time but the beer is all going off that I need to start to be killed off fast.
        It's why my "cellar" (fridge) is limited. Store upright. Less surface area for oxidation.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Dude. The diffusion of all the oxygen in the headspace takes place in tens of hours. Hundreds of hours if you have it chilled. But the gas exchange takes place on totally different timescales than a beer aged for a year plus. The headspace isn’t exchanged with fresh oxygen when it’s on its side. If I were to have a wet-hopped beer I would agree. But I would also be drinking that as soon as I bought it.
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM.
          Code:

Comment

Dude. The diffusion of all the oxygen in the headspace takes place in tens of hours. Hundreds of hours if you have it chilled. But the gas exchange takes place on totally different timescales than a beer aged for a year plus. The headspace isn’t exchanged with fresh oxygen when it’s on its side. If I were to have a wet-hopped beer I would agree. But I would also be drinking that as soon as I bought it.
            Move along. You have learned nothing in beer storage/aging. Between your anti-aging and now this? Laughable.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

So ignore the science. Got it.
              Code:

Comment

So ignore the science. Got it.
                I've mentioned your anti-aging comments to cicerones, other beer geeks, brewers, etc, and all have said that your opinions on aging beer makes their heads hurt. Along with your oxidation comments, that falls in line with their opinions. You are generally, though not completely, wrong. There are exceptions, favoring your opinion, but in general, you are incorrect.

Comment

Science. I’ll take science 100 times out of 100 over a bunch of people who live in their mom’s basement.

ETA: That and I’m guessing you misrepresented my opinions.
                  Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-15-2017, 12:14 AM.
                  Code:

Comment

Science. I’ll take science 100 times out of 100 over a bunch of people who live in their mom’s basement.

ETA: That and I’m guessing you misrepresented my opinions.
                    Brewing industry professionals (who Brent mentioned above) are now included in the bunch of idiots who live in their mom's basement? Jesus Christ, man...food science is totally a thing. I should know.

Comment

The diffusion is not the limiting factor. It’s all of the other reactions. The oxygen in the headspace will diffuse into the water far too fast.

And yes, for the purposes of this discussion yes. Few of them have degrees in chemistry.
                      Code:

Comment

Also, I think it’s precious that Brent runs crying to you every time he’s outclassed in these discussions.
                        Code:

Comment

Does it matter if it is corked or not? I will admit I have never heard one way was better than the other...
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Also, I think it’s precious that Brent runs crying to you every time he’s outclassed in these discussions.
                            I think it's precious that you assume that's what happened, as opposed to I was lurking here, saw a discussion I have some level of expertise in, and decided to chime in.

Nope, can't be that, can it?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Does it matter if it is corked or not? I will admit I have never heard one way was better than the other...
                              Perhaps. But when you look at distillers, they age barrels on their side. The barrels with breathe far more easily than a sealed bottle. It will exchange the headspace dozens if not hundreds of times while aging.

If we were talking about a nearly empty bottle of fresh hoochX I would agree. But the headspace just isn’t going to be exchanged as fast as the diffusion of the oxygen into the water.
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X