Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I'm coming in October for the marathon, and I want to bring home some of your local beer. Best recommendation? The heavier, the better.
    Surly has a big following, although I'm not a fan of their non-special releases. Generally hoppy.

Schell's and Summit are both good.

Lucid and Indeed make some fine brews. I don't know if Lucid's Duce (doo-chay) will be an annual release, but that beer is phenomenal. You might be able to find Lucid's Halucidation (beer fermented with white grapes, kind of a beer/wine hybrid). Also phenomenal. Indeed's Sweet Yamma Jamma is brewed with sweet potatoes and spices. I hate it, but friends who like sweet potatoes loved it.

Bent Paddle has a good black ale; basically a Widow Maker clone.

Of course, if you're not flying (or flying with checked bags) you can always get growlers. Obviously there are brews that are tap-room only.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Surly has a big following, although I'm not a fan of their non-special releases. Generally hoppy.

Schell's and Summit are both good.

Lucid and Indeed make some fine brews. I don't know if Lucid's Duce (doo-chay) will be an annual release, but that beer is phenomenal. You might be able to find Lucid's Halucidation (beer fermented with white grapes, kind of a beer/wine hybrid). Also phenomenal. Indeed's Sweet Yamma Jamma is brewed with sweet potatoes and spices. I hate it, but friends who like sweet potatoes loved it.

Bent Paddle has a good black ale; basically a Widow Maker clone.

Of course, if you're not flying (or flying with checked bags) you can always get growlers. Obviously there are brews that are tap-room only.
      The plan is to get growlers; traveling via Amtrak.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

In October you might be able to get Rum King on tap at a few places. Bottles are probably going to be gone, but last year it held onto a few taps for a few weeks. I think it was on tap at the Indeed taproom into early November last year. Thats a big dark beer for you.

Maybe in October you'll match up with Darkness Day, not sure exactly when that is, but it will be close.

There are probably 30 breweries in the metro area to check out now, so you'll have choices.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The plan is to get growlers; traveling via Amtrak.
          Where you are staying is key, too. If you can make it up to Lino Lakes rather cheaply via cab, Hammerheart cannot be recommended enough.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Where you are staying is key, too. If you can make it up to Lino Lakes rather cheaply via cab, Hammerheart cannot be recommended enough.
            Staying with an old NMU buddy on Sheridan.

Thursday before the race, I can drink, Friday and Saturday nights I can't, and Sunday, it will be ALL THE BEER.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Staying with an old NMU buddy on Sheridan.

Thursday before the race, I can drink, Friday and Saturday nights I can't, and Sunday, it will be ALL THE BEER.
              If he can drive you, great. If not, cab would be pricey. There are enough in DT MPLS to get your fill, though.

Comment

If he can drive you, great. If not, cab would be pricey. There are enough in DT MPLS to get your fill, though.
                Okay. Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Okay. Thank you so much for your help.
                  Lurk on Gopher Puck Live (there's a Got Beer? thread). Much more in depth than this particular thread.

Comment

I'm coming in October for the marathon, and I want to bring home some of your local beer. Best recommendation? The heavier, the better.
                    Where are you coming from? Just wondering if you'll be going through anywhere with solid beer along the way as well..
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      Where are you coming from? Just wondering if you'll be going through anywhere with solid beer along the way as well..
                      Drive from Muskegon (MI) to Holland (MI), board Amtrak to Chicago, transfer trains, and Chicago to MSP.

Comment

Drive from Muskegon (MI) to Holland (MI), board Amtrak to Chicago, transfer trains, and Chicago to MSP.
                        Bring a 4 pack of Founder's KBS and I'll trade a Surly Darkness for it.

Comment

Bring a 4 pack of Founder's KBS and I'll trade a Surly Darkness for it.
                          Sweet.

Comment

Sweet.
                            Very specific on this one.

I only have one Darkness left. But the KBS is worth it.

Comment

Just be aware, Bob, that you can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Minnesota.
                              I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Very specific on this one.

I only have one Darkness left. But the KBS is worth it.
                                I think I have 3 left.
                                Also, 3 2014 KBS, 2 2015 KBS, 3 2014 BCS, 2 2014 Rum King....plus more
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X