Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1004

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

How does "arak" taste? It's all over my local ABC. Arabic writing (عرق), from Lebanon, anisette based. Is it like ouzo? It's also used in the Scandinavian drink "punsch," if any of our Hordes from the North know that.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    How does "arak" taste? It's all over my local ABC. Arabic writing (عرق), from Lebanon, anisette based. Is it like ouzo? It's also used in the Scandinavian drink "punsch," if any of our Hordes from the North know that.
    There are a whole bunch of anise flavored liquors, that are all very similar, but not quite the same, from around the world. I would imagine it is similar to Greek Ouzo, Czech Becherovka, Colombian Aguardiente, etc. The Nordics have Aquavit (Akvavit), which isn't really anise flavored, but the same idea of a spiced/flavored clear liquor similar to a gin, but with different botanicals.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    There are a whole bunch of anise flavored liquors, that are all very similar, but not quite the same, from around the world. I would imagine it is similar to Greek Ouzo, Czech Becherovka, Colombian Aguardiente, etc. The Nordics have Aquavit (Akvavit), which isn't really anise flavored, but the same idea of a spiced/flavored clear liquor similar to a gin, but with different botanicals.
    So these are all light table manners liquors, not I'm serious to get f-cked up vehicles?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    So these are all light table manners liquors, not I'm serious to get f-cked up vehicles?
    I would say, in most cases, they're a little bit of both. Yeah, they are drank as an after-dinner desert kind of drink in the regions where the liquor originates from, but at the same time, you're likely to find people also getting blitzed on them as well. For example, when I was in Colombia, Aguardiente was served/offered as a drink after the meal, but later, at the bar/club that we went to, they served it by the bottle and the people were getting hammered off the stuff.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

I got a new wine rack due to my expanding collection. I was moving a few beers around and one of the 750 mL bottles had the bottom completely blow out.

Watch out for LTD Amyís Dream.

Ugh. 👎

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I got a new wine rack due to my expanding collection. I was moving a few beers around and one of the 750 mL bottles had the bottom completely blow out.

Watch out for LTD Amyís Dream.

Ugh. 👎
    A friend of mine had that happen with a 2007 Darkness this past year. From what I know, it happens on rare occasion and it's completely random. Yes, he stored it correctly.

Founders CBS was tapped last night at Eden Prairie Old Chicago. Still had some left tonight, I was very surprised, and happy, since I couldn't make it last night. On tap, that maple is popping, much more than the bottles right now. For the bottles, wait 6 months or so, then it'll really pop.

And Willettized Lagunitas is insanely good. You want that booziness? Find some of this stuff. Only about $3 per bottle, too. That's a nice bonus.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

I think I stored it correctly. Oh well. In moving things around I also noticed another bottle had sprung a pinhole leak. Luckily it dropped on other bottles and the wood rack. No damage but the bottle is going to go.

I think I stored it correctly. Oh well. In moving things around I also noticed another bottle had sprung a pinhole leak. Luckily it dropped on other bottles and the wood rack. No damage but the bottle is going to go.
    I'm gonna guess you did. You have enough knowledge of storing beer and such. Upright, no light, cellar temp, blah blah blah.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Lucia Apologist

Upright? I always store sideways. Just like wine.

Everything else is in line.

Upright? I always store sideways. Just like wine.

Everything else is in line.
    Nononononono, you store beer upright.

Lucia Apologist

FTR, I donít have space for upright. Iím slowly converting my beer collection to a wine collection. Itís probably gonna take some time but the beer is all going off that I need to start to be killed off fast.

Lucia Apologist

Why?

FTR, I donít have space for upright. Iím slowly converting my beer collection to a wine collection. Itís probably gonna take some time but the beer is all going off that I need to start to be killed off fast.
    It's why my "cellar" (fridge) is limited. Store upright. Less surface area for oxidation.

Lucia Apologist

Dude. The diffusion of all the oxygen in the headspace takes place in tens of hours. Hundreds of hours if you have it chilled. But the gas exchange takes place on totally different timescales than a beer aged for a year plus. The headspace isnít exchanged with fresh oxygen when itís on its side. If I were to have a wet-hopped beer I would agree. But I would also be drinking that as soon as I bought it.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-15-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Dude. The diffusion of all the oxygen in the headspace takes place in tens of hours. Hundreds of hours if you have it chilled. But the gas exchange takes place on totally different timescales than a beer aged for a year plus. The headspace isnít exchanged with fresh oxygen when itís on its side. If I were to have a wet-hopped beer I would agree. But I would also be drinking that as soon as I bought it.
    Move along. You have learned nothing in beer storage/aging. Between your anti-aging and now this? Laughable.

Lucia Apologist

So ignore the science. Got it.

So ignore the science. Got it.
    I've mentioned your anti-aging comments to cicerones, other beer geeks, brewers, etc, and all have said that your opinions on aging beer makes their heads hurt. Along with your oxidation comments, that falls in line with their opinions. You are generally, though not completely, wrong. There are exceptions, favoring your opinion, but in general, you are incorrect.

Lucia Apologist

Science. Iíll take science 100 times out of 100 over a bunch of people who live in their momís basement.

ETA: That and Iím guessing you misrepresented my opinions.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-15-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Science. I’ll take science 100 times out of 100 over a bunch of people who live in their mom’s basement.

ETA: That and I’m guessing you misrepresented my opinions.
    Brewing industry professionals (who Brent mentioned above) are now included in the bunch of idiots who live in their mom's basement? Jesus Christ, man...food science is totally a thing. I should know.

Lucia Apologist

The diffusion is not the limiting factor. Itís all of the other reactions. The oxygen in the headspace will diffuse into the water far too fast.

And yes, for the purposes of this discussion yes. Few of them have degrees in chemistry.

Thread Information