Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Which is hilarious, since Surly released year-old Darkness right around the same time as the article. The article is a joke.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Which is hilarious, since Surly released year-old Darkness right around the same time as the article. The article is a joke.
      lol

you didn't even read it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

lol

you didn't even read it.
        Yes I have read it. That article came out quite a while ago.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Jerard is a ****ing dumbass. He's proven it over and over again, and it always gets highlighted in various beer groups.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Jerard is a ****ing dumbass. He's proven it over and over again, and it always gets highlighted in various beer groups.

Now, that Leinie's that has been sitting there for 3 years? Toss that out.

Deschutes' Abyss and Black Butte's Anniversary Year beers, until this year, actually had a "Best AFTER" date. So, yes, age some stouts, barleywines, and porters.

Comment

Or you can, you know, age beers and realize you’ve wasted your time and money oxidizing the **** out of your beer and everything you’ve aged is objectively inferior to when the day you’d bought it.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Or you can, you know, age beers and realize you’ve wasted your time and money oxidizing the **** out of your beer
                The top 3 verticals I've had, all in the past year:

2004-2016 3Floyds Dark Lord
                2012-2016 Surly Darkness
                2011-2015 Boulder Killer Penguin

Add to that some other older beers, like 2007 Darkness, 2012 Founders Breakfast Stout (NOT KBS), 2014 and 2015 Indeed Rum King...

In those verticals you can literally TASTE the arc from "too old" to "perfect" to "too boozy/sweet/etc."

There is a beer, forget the name, that ON THE BOTTLE says it's good until 2027. It was bottled in 2012. bbdl found one at the Fitz in Eagle River that has a later date than THAT. IIRC it was some odd lambic. The bottle I had is STILL boozy fresh. And I can go get more tomorrow, the store near me has a bunch left. LTD's 3rd Anniversary beers (various) even said on the bottle "Best after Dec 2017" and they were released in June.

SOME beers DO need aging (Bruery, looking at your "diabetes in a bottle" special releases) to even out all the flavors going on and provide a robust balanced beer. Most do NOT need aging, of course. It comes down to style, ingredients, barrel-aging if applicable, etc. Lots of factors. Then yes, it is a guessing game of sorts, of when that beer hits its prime.

General rule is 5 years tops. From my experience, 2-3 years in the max in general.

Comment

Or, you’ve deluded yourself like I did into the notion that aging wine improves wine (it doesn’t, it just changes it) also applies to other alcoholic beverages.

Then you start to understand why aging wines is thought to improve a given wine. That the tannins in red wine that some find too astringent change with time to form other molecules that reduce the astringency of a wine aren’t really present in beer anywhere near the concentration they are in red wine. When you age wine, even for 2-3 months you get a reduction of the fruit flavors but you’ll also find the wine less astringent. You have to balance the reduction in astringency with the loss in the floral notes.

The vast majority of beers that are claimed to be the most improved through aging are beers with a high alcohol content that tend to come with an enormous residual sugar content especially when compared to a dry wine. These beers also don’t have the aggressive tannic quality a young wine might have. The sugars may drop out of the flavor profile, but that doesn’t mean it’s better. It means it’s less sweet but you’ll also see an increase in that cardboard character that tastes like ****.

I’ve aged beers all the way out to seven years. At no point have I thought, “Man, this is so much better now than when I drank it fresh.” I compare my tasting notes between the aged beers and my fresh bottles. In the end, only one beer had ever improved and I can’t prove it was the aging that improved it. That was the Huna down in Tampa.

I’ve changed my mind over the last year. People who have told us all to age beers are full of ****. Anything over a year has destroyed the beer. Eithe rit becomes too acidic, too shallow, or too boring.
                  Code:

Comment

7 years is most likely too old, and you get the "soy sauce" flavor that is mentioned in the article. That is one thing I agree with, overall.

You have mentioned you like that overly boozy taste in BAs, and I like that, too. Do I prefer it? Depends on the mood. "Better" depends on the person's palate. I prefer a more balanced beer, if I were pressed to make a choice. But there is a "not better" in play, also. Honestly, one of the best beers I've had in the past year was the 2012 Darkness, and that is an opinion that is not uncommon. Whatever they did with that particular batch...it worked.

No delusion here, hence me mentioning that 2004-2016 vert of Dark Lord. Doing that vert gave me a HUGE point of reference as to how a beer changes over time. The 2012-2016 vert of Darkness helped back that up, although that is a smaller sample size.

Part of it is a matter of taste, and part of it is how the brewer brews it. Some do brew a beer with cellaring in mind. Some don't. *shrug* To say "never age beers" is ridiculous, and especially coming from a brewer whose brewery recently released a beer that has been sitting at their brewery for a year. They are in essence saying "Buy our old beer that is no good!"

Comment

If you’re brewing with cellaring I’m mind, it mean you are imparting flaws hat need to be corrected. Brew a better beer.

When I’ve done verticals I find anything past a year old tastes like cardboard and old coffee grounds. Those flavors are far more pronounced compared to the awesome coffee, fruit, and barrel aromas and flavors that are lost after even six months.

I’m not saying never. all I’m saying is people are aging them too long. 2-3 months tops 99% of beers. 1 year for 100%. And at that point, it’s not aging, it’s just laziness.
                      Code:

Comment

If you’re brewing with cellaring I’m mind, it mean you are imparting flaws hat need to be corrected. Brew a better beer.

When I’ve done verticals I find anything past a year old tastes like cardboard and old coffee grounds. Those flavors are far more pronounced compared to the awesome coffee, fruit, and barrel aromas and flavors that are lost after even six months.

I’m not saying never. all I’m saying is people are aging them too long. 2-3 months tops 99% of beers. 1 year for 100%. And at that point, it’s not aging, it’s just laziness.
                        I am of the opinion that 1-2 years is prime in general. 5 years.....max, maybe MAYBE. The latest "need to have beer" being CBS, I say 6-8 months, for that maple flavor to really pop. I've found the same in other breweries' beers, too, with that style. Evil Twin's Even More Maple Jesus being the latest one. Fresh? You get a hint of it, but not super noticeable. Wait a couple months? Boom. There it is. There is what is advertised.

You say brew a better beer? Well, when more than one good brewery (as in, nationally recognized) has the same traits.....they might know what they are doing.

Comment

You say brew a better beer? Well, when more than one good brewery (as in, nationally recognized) has the same traits.....they might know what they are doing.
                          Or they have someone who studied marketing for more than a week.

It wasn’t even more than a few years ago that they used to say you should age Pliny. Right.
                          Code:

Comment

Or they have someone who studied marketing for more than a week.

It wasn’t even more than a few years ago that they used to say you should age Pliny. Right.
                            Age Pliny. That's just dumb. You do realize the stout/porter style was so they could hold up over time, right? For voyages and stuff?

Comment

Age Pliny. That's just dumb. You do realize the stout/porter style was so they could hold up over time, right? For voyages and stuff?
                              Bzzzzzzzzzzz.

Porters were not brewed for voyages. You’re confusing that with IPAs.
                              Code:

Comment

Bzzzzzzzzzzz.

Porters were not brewed for voyages. You’re confusing that with IPAs.
                                Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Porters (and their inbred relation with stouts) were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout

Comment

Working...
                                X