Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

I've singled out a few bottles of rum from the collection for termination as I have WAY too many bottles and some are just really nice mixers and how many really nice mixers does one need?

Tonight (and last night) I killed my bottle of Plantation Old Reserve 2000 - Jamaica.

It's a $40 bottle that isn't to my liking neat, but makes a REALLY nice rum and Coke.

I have several other rums that are just as good (in that capacity) though and are less expensive. Can't justify a $40 bottle of rum for mixing.

I won't be restocking it.

Next dead man walking is my Don Pancho Origenes 8.

Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Re-tried the Surly Hell. I'd drink it again. Also had Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout. Not bad, but definitely not impressed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Had my first Surly Abrasive tonight and I'm a big fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeypuck View Post
    Had my first Surly Abrasive tonight and I'm a big fan!
    My condolences. Had one sip, and said "ALLTHENOPES!"
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

The resort we're staying at in St. Lucia has a "rum tasting" event every Sunday from 2-4 on the beach.

Pops and I are planning on going. Will be interesting to see if they have things that I haven't tried.

Hopefully, but if not, I plan on just enjoying the afternoon and NOT being a snob.

Lucia Apologist

Got my hands on some abrasive. It tastes and smells like soap. But I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Re-tried the Surly Hell. I'd drink it again. Also had Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout. Not bad, but definitely not impressed.
    I wasn't that impressed with the Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout. It isn't bad, but there are too many other better beers out there to drink it again on purpose. I think Hell is the only regular Surly that I haven't tried yet.

I've had several Abrasives so far, only 1 left in my 4 pack. I like it quite a bit. Definitely a very good double IPA.

edit: speaking of double IPAs, I really like Molotov Lite. That's a tasty beer.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

lubba wubba dub dub

My department does a monthly happy hour that goes out to 45 people with a new location each month. By May I will absolutely be done losing weight and beer will be back on the table. Happily, May is also the month we're scheduled to go to the Surly Brew Pub. While I'm not generally a hoppy beer guy, I might have new tastes now. This will be a good test of that idea.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My department does a monthly happy hour that goes out to 45 people with a new location each month. By May I will absolutely be done losing weight and beer will be back on the table. Happily, May is also the month we're scheduled to go to the Surly Brew Pub. While I'm not generally a hoppy beer guy, I might have new tastes now. This will be a good test of that idea.
    Hell is NOT hoppy. The Bender is about their limit to my tastes for hops. The Coffee Bender is a'ight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Hell is NOT hoppy. The Bender is about their limit to my tastes for hops. The Coffee Bender is a'ight.
    If you ever get a chance to try the Cacao Bender, do it. Think Coffee Bender, but chocolate instead of coffee. It is excellent. Not much hops come through, on that one either. I think Cacao Bender is very limited availability in kegs, and not canned. I happened across it at a restaurant that happened to have it on tap.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

lubba wubba dub dub

A few of these might be found in this thread. Just saying...

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-19-ty...896742331.html
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

So freaking spot on.

LOL!
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm a beer snob.

A few of those fit....

RIP - Kirby

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Yeah, I'll admit, I'm a beer snob.

A few of those fit....
    I was thinking more than a few fit for me. But at least I can take the joke (unlike some comments on the site)
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Out of those, I'm a Captain Ahab.

I'll trade, but only my extras, because I will actually drink my rarer beers at some point.

To celebrate a good day of work, I'm splurging. Enjoying a Boulevard Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout bomber. Very tasty stuff, highly recommended.

RIP - Kirby

I saw a poster on the train today for "Whisky Live" New York 2015:

Sample from over 300 different scotches, bourbons and whiskies from around the world!

[A general admission ticket] includes a souvenir Glencairn tasting glass, show brochure, full dinner buffet, live entertainment and access to the whisky sampling event.
    Apparently "Whisky Live" has a year-long series of tasting events in various cities around the world. The drop-down menu on the home page shows 19 different countries, it looks like at least half a dozen US cities throughout the year as well.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Does anyone have any recommendations for good breweries/brewpubs (just need food and beer) in the Lansing, MI area, or a bit north of there? We are flying in there just before lunch time, and we're trying to find a good place for lunch before we head north.

RIP - Kirby

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-19-ty...896742331.html
    I'M NONE OF THOSE!!!! *happy dance*
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Maybe they'll have a few different things. Unless a brewery goes strictly on its reputation (Green Flash, San Diego, for example) there's always something different on their list.

To me, my favorite breweries are the ones that offer pilot beers, brewery only drafts, and other experimentals. That way, if you're not thrilled with their standard line then there's other opportunities and a chance to do something different.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Thread Information