Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EMERGENCY - I'm drinking and the old drinking thread is closed!

Cost
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Cost
      For real? I mean, I'll take your word for it, I have no idea.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

They bottle in 750s and double magnums. More glass means higher cost. I imagine it's why beer is bottled in 12 oz and 750 mL.

Industry standard for nearly the age of the industry.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They bottle in 750s and double magnums. More glass means higher cost. I imagine it's why beer is bottled in 12 oz and 750 mL.

Industry standard for nearly the age of the industry.
          Gotcha. I know more breweries are going to cans b/c of cost. See: Rum King: double the beer for same price when they switched to cans. Just wondered why wineries don't even entertain the thought of different sizes. I guess they are more hard-core on the cost thing.....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Maybe it's not cost. Could be image as well. No one wants to be the first to say "We have 12-oz bottles! Buy your wine in a six-pack just like bud light!"

I really have no idea.

Edit: look at screw tops vs. corks. Old habits die hard.
            Code:

Comment

Maybe it's not cost. Could be image as well. No one wants to be the first to say "We have 12-oz bottles! Buy your wine in a six-pack just like bud light!"

I really have no idea.

Edit: look at screw tops vs. corks. Old habits die hard.
              The screw tops is an excellent point.

I mean, there's a market (obviously you're part of that market) where you don't want to commit to a full bottle. And let's face it, I think wine drinkers are snobbier (you know what I mean), although the craft beer crowd is catching up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

I mean, there's a market (obviously you're part of that market) where you don't want to commit to a full bottle. And let's face it, I think wine drinkers are snobbier (you know what I mean), although the craft beer crowd is catching up quickly.
                I remember an episode of Shark Tank where a wine guy proposed selling his own wine in single-serving plastic cups (like juice, but classier shape). I think it was Kevin O'Leary who told him that he was in, as long as he was going to patent the single-serving cups and license them out to other vintners. Fool turned it down, insisting he couldn't give up his own brand of wine.

Holy moley, been awhile since I read this thread.
                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-01-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Beer is far worse. People are focusing on best wines under $20 or even $10. Beer is getting stupid expensive. Or so I hear through you and bbdl. I just can't pay that for a 12 oz or even a bomber after I've been introduced to wines. You can have what would be considered world class beer in terms of complexity for half or less the price of what you guys are paying.
                  Code:

Comment

Beer is far worse. People are focusing on best wines under $20 or even $10. Beer is getting stupid expensive. Or so I hear through you and bbdl. I just can't pay that for a 12 oz or even a bomber after I've been introduced to wines. You can have what would be considered world class beer in terms of complexity for half or less the price of what you guys are paying.
                    I fully agree the secondary market for beer is insane*. I've accepted some of it, some beer is within reason. But others (see the starred at the bottom) is completely crazy and I will never go that far down the rabbit hole.

*Toppling Goliath has 2 beers, Assassin and Kentucky Breakfast Brunch, a 25 oz and 12 oz, respectively, that go for $300 and $1200 (again, respectively) on the secondary. It's insane. It's bullsh*.

Comment

This is why I've expanded to wine. While beer and whiskey have become absurdly expensive, wine has done the opposite. Great wines have become cheaper. Rather, great wines can be had for cheap.

A very good wine can be found under $20. Decoy Cabernet, my favorite, can be found easy for $17 and it will last you at least two nights.
                      Code:

Comment

The issue is, wine doesn't taste very good.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And NO HUNA FOR YOU!!!!
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            The issue is, wine doesn't taste very good.
                            Says the guy who made his own wine.

Comment

Says the guy who made his own wine.
                              And it tasted ****ty. Then I stopped making wine.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                And it tasted ****ty. Then I stopped making wine.
                                I bet you could get a job at South Fork.

Back to the discussion, wine just doesn't taste good, I agree with bbdl. Not my thing. I really tried, but nope. Beer and bourbon. And occasionally rum and vodka. Gin can go straight to hell, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X