Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    This was surprisingly good and very easy - Slow Cooker Potato and Bacon Chowder. I used regular half and half, regular bacon, threw some mushrooms in, and added cooked chicken after it was done.
    What is fat free half n half anyway? Isn't one of the halfs cream = fat?

lucky penguin

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Skim milk with a bunch of corn syrup and thickeners added, basically.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Half and half is whole milk and heavy cream.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Half and half is whole milk and heavy cream.
    He's asking about the fat free version, since it pretty violates the very notion of what true Half and Half actually is.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    He's asking about the fat free version, since it pretty violates the very notion of what true Half and Half actually is.
    Same way I feel about fat free whipped cream.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran

I'm making fruitcake for Christmas. I haven't done it before, but this recipe from KAF sounds promising. One batch with booze, one without.

http://nautil.us/issue/30/identity/h...-our-evolution
    This might not belong in this thread but I know wally had been in here and it made me think of what he was saying at some point. Fascinating! (also makes all the cookies I bake even worse than I thought)

Have been making bread on a weekly basis for the last 10 weeks with pretty consistently good results. Does anyone in New England know if you can buy yeast in larger quantities than the small grocery store jars?

Jen - have you bought KAF things from the website? Am thinking about ordering from there, but haven't done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Have been making bread on a weekly basis for the last 10 weeks with pretty consistently good results. Does anyone in New England know if you can buy yeast in larger quantities than the small grocery store jars?

Jen - have you bought KAF things from the website? Am thinking about ordering from there, but haven't done it before.
    BJs has HUGE bag of yeast http://www.bjs.com/fleischmanns-inst...0222175?dimId= It costs less to use that even if you throw half of it away

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    This might not belong in this thread but I know wally had been in here and it made me think of what he was saying at some point. Fascinating! (also makes all the cookies I bake even worse than I thought)
    I've read a lot of stuff about how the "Western Diet!11!1!" is killing us. I still think genetics play the biggest role in who lives well past 80, and who dies around or before 70.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Yeah, but the folks who are saying this are looked upon like idiots. Our food is controlled by companies who answer to wall street, they could give two ****s about your health.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I've read a lot of stuff about how the "Western Diet!11!1!" is killing us. I still think genetics play the biggest role in who lives well past 80, and who dies around or before 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Yeah, but the folks who are saying this are looked upon like idiots. Our food is controlled by companies who answer to wall street, they could give two ****s about your health.
    See above. I have a friend who has a GI practice. There are a lot of evidence based medicine people who will admit this is right but the to set the gut right is very labor intensive and they can't get reimbursed in a way that makes it feasible. Add that to the patients just wanting to take a pill and not change anything ang Bob's your uncle.

Genetics may mean you have a predisposition to having a problem but the problem may not develop until your diet stinks.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    See above. I have a friend who has a GI practice. There are a lot of evidence based medicine people who will admit this is right but the to set the gut right is very labor intensive and they can't get reimbursed in a way that makes it feasible. Add that to the patients just wanting to take a pill and not change anything ang Bob's your uncle.
    Yup, I don't disagree but most GI will say diet doesn't matter. It's not easy following a strict diet and the consequences of cheating aren't a few pounds but a few million more bad bacteria. I'm going on 4 years of it.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Yup, I don't disagree but most GI will say diet doesn't matter. It's not easy following a strict diet and the consequences of cheating aren't a few pounds but a few million more bad bacteria. I'm going on 4 years of it.
    THis gal averages 2 hrs for the first visit and follow up visits usually at least 1 hr. I tell people don't bother to go unless you are serious because she is very intense and the lifestyle changes are intense. I have, however, seen people who have been incapacitated by their health who have become new people after getting their leaky gut straightened out.

Genetics may mean you have a predisposition to having a problem but the problem may not develop until your diet stinks.
    I get that. But call me a self-diagnoser, I still think the genetics matter more.

Obviously, if you're a chain smoker, or a big alkie, or eat restaurant food all the time, or are otherwise going off the rails, then the odds are out the window.

I'm staring down two sides of the coin - my mom's family mostly died around 70 and by various diseases - emphysema, congestive heart failure/acute cardiac arrest, diabetes, breast cancer, lung cancer, etc. My dad's family has largely made it to 80+, despite having the usual "YOU'RE DYING!" symptoms - hypertension, high cholesterol, etc.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I get that. But call me a self-diagnoser, I still think the genetics matter more.

Obviously, if you're a chain smoker, or a big alkie, or eat restaurant food all the time, or are otherwise going off the rails, then the odds are out the window.

I'm staring down two sides of the coin - my mom's family mostly died around 70 and by various diseases - emphysema, congestive heart failure/acute cardiac arrest, diabetes, breast cancer, lung cancer, etc. My dad's family has largely made it to 80+, despite having the usual "YOU'RE DYING!" symptoms - hypertension, high cholesterol, etc.
    When I was 12, my parents stocked up on canned and processed food like nuclear war was coming. Didn't get sick, but all that sugar led to me weighing 396 pounds as an adult.

I really didn't take an interest in fresh cooking until I graduated from college. Since then, I really haven't gotten sick, other than seasonal allergies.

Though I DO wish my high school would have had a cooking club or Home Ec class when I was attending between 1996 and 2000...
    ― Franz Kafka

Lucia Apologist

My pizza stone broke tonight when I was baking bread. Stupid bread.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post

yes - lots and lots of times. fantastic customer service, and pretty quick shipping. as far as quality of stuff - I always read the reviews, they're usually pretty accurate (and you can tell who knows their stuff, and who to ignore). They often have deals (right now, I think it's spend $75 and get free shipping - but they usually have free shipping before the holidays as well, if you're not in a hurry)

Let's go RED!

Debating which turkey method to use...1-cook upside down at 300 til the the breast hits 130, then flip and cook at 400 til breast hits 165 (about 4 hrs). 2-separate the thigh/legs from carcass, ditch backbone, debone thigh, cook leg/thigh and breast on top of stuffing till breast hits 180 (need to verify temp & time) 3-cook 1 hr at 350, lower oven to 185 and cook to 185 (24 hrs).

I've done 1 and like it, but the flip on a 24# turkey is fraught with danger and stuffing/unstuffing is messy, but 2 is appealing because you don't have to stuff and unstuff the bird and you can slice the thigh neatly (saw on America's Test Kitchen and I trust them). 3 appeals to me, it's similar to my my pulled pork method which turns out awesome. I'm leaning towards 2.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

First time using a frozen bird this yr. Until now always had a fresh bird that I brined. This yr the farm sold out early and I decided to forgo the huge bill of a fresh turkey. We will see. Significantly less work except for having to figure out how to thaw the thing.

Thread Information