Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Gotcha.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I have a beef heart in the fridge; going to make a mushroom and spinach stuffed beef heart out of it. Served right next to mashed potatoes and gravy.

As for the tongue I have... beef tongue tacos.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Starting to think about Christmas cookies. New festive flavors (and colors) I'm mulling: fig, buttered rum, chestnut, cherry or cranberry with pistachio, rice krispie trees (especially for the kids - maybe one tree per family), spumoni, sugarplums... also looking at traditional fruitcake, lebkuchen, speculoos and pfefferneuse. I have boxes of my grandmother's (and great grandmother's) old recipes, and I really wanted to find something fun in there... but I really don't remember her baking cookies. She cooked a ton, but not much baking. The grasshopper cookies I make are a nod to her, but because she made grasshoppers at Christmas, not because she baked anything like it.

Comment

Does anybody have any good advice for cracking Black Walnuts? 2 years ago I ended up using a hammer but ended up with shards of shell mixed in with the walnuts. I bought a supposed black walnut cracker the year before, but it snapped cracking the first couple. Last year I didn't have to worry about it because there were no walnuts, but this year there is a pretty good crop again. Thanks for any help.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

watching The Great British Baking Show on PBS- Best. show. Evah. Always making things I haven't seen before

Comment

If you're one to make pumpkin pies using canned pumpkin, you're going to want to buy your supplies early.

NEOGA, Ill. (AP) — There should be enough pumpkins for Halloween this year, but that might not be the case for the canned pumpkin used in pies come Thanksgiving, according to crop experts in Illinois, the country’s top pumpkin-producing state.

“I would not wait until Nov. 20,” University of Illinois professor Mohammad Babadoost said, referencing the Nov. 26 holiday. “I’d buy it whenever it comes to the store.”

Large canned-pumpkin manufacturer Libby says yields could be off by as much as a third this year in Illinois, where about 90 percent of the pumpkins grown in the U.S. come from within a 90-mile radius of Peoria.

Libby’s corporate and brand affairs director Roz O'Hearn said the company, which has had a central Illinois pumpkin-processing plant since 1929, is confident it will have enough pumpkin for autumn holidays.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Ate the chef's tasting menu at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. In foie gras coma. Ready to do battle with the would-be food police to protect my right to fatty duck liver as soon as I've slept this off.

Comment

Someone tell me if such a thing exists: I want software that catalogs the recipes in my cookbooks so I can search by ingredient and/or type. Basically, I want to digitally search my cookbooks without physically looking through them all. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    Someone tell me if such a thing exists: I want software that catalogs the recipes in my cookbooks so I can search by ingredient and/or type. Basically, I want to digitally search my cookbooks without physically looking through them all. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do it myself.
                    That really sounds like a chore you'd have to do yourself. The closest I could think of is a recipe site containing such a feature, but it's certainly going to be limited in scope to that site's listings.

You might try a Google search for terms like "1 tsp cinnamon" to see if that returns results. There are some obvious restrictions in utility on that search, though, as you'd almost certainly be required to include both the ingredient and measurement as looking up a term as simple as "cinnamon" could take you all over the place, from bug repellents to cooking to song titles to adult sites with performers who've taken on that moniker.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.eatyourbooks.com/

This is just about perfect. They index cookbooks, and while it doesn't list every single ingredient for each recipe, it lists the major ones (I'm never going to search for 'salt' or 'flour'.) I don't need the actual recipe with all the directions - since I own the book. I don't need it to be mobile, either. Take my money immediately.

edit: and I can import my cookbooks from Goodreads. Wow.

edit2: I think I'm in love with this software. Just searched for "pumpkin" - so many recipes I hadn't marked or remembered. This is exactly what I wanted.
                      Last edited by jen; 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Ate the chef's tasting menu at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. In foie gras coma. Ready to do battle with the would-be food police to protect my right to fatty duck liver as soon as I've slept this off.
                        Wow. I remember him from my favorite show of all time, Iron Chef. He was called the "god" of French Cuisine. That must have been above amazing.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Wow. I remember him from my favorite show of all time, Iron Chef. He was called the "god" of French Cuisine. That must have been above amazing.
                          It was. And so was la facture.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                            Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.eatyourbooks.com/

This is just about perfect. They index cookbooks, and while it doesn't list every single ingredient for each recipe, it lists the major ones (I'm never going to search for 'salt' or 'flour'.) I don't need the actual recipe with all the directions - since I own the book. I don't need it to be mobile, either. Take my money immediately.

edit: and I can import my cookbooks from Goodreads. Wow.

edit2: I think I'm in love with this software. Just searched for "pumpkin" - so many recipes I hadn't marked or remembered. This is exactly what I wanted.

Ever thought about creating an Access (or even Excel*) database? I did this starting with a template I found online. Pretty cool now. Takes a bit of time up front but it's also free.

*Yes, I understand Excel isn't a native DB application
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Ever thought about creating an Access (or even Excel*) database? I did this starting with a template I found online. Pretty cool now. Takes a bit of time up front but it's also free.

*Yes, I understand Excel isn't a native DB application
                              It's not free! It costs $9.95 to get the latest version of MS Office Enterprise loaded onto my home PC using my corporate Home Use Program.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                It's not free! It costs $9.95 to get the latest version of MS Office Enterprise loaded onto my home PC using my corporate Home Use Program.
                                Or one can just use OpenOffice.

Comment

Working...
                                X