X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Made Monster cake for 4th of July. A childhood favorite. Also delicious now!

- 2 chocolate cake rounds (8-9")
    - Frost the top of each round with chocolate frosting
    - Add whip cream on to the bottom round
    - Add cherry pie filling to bottom round
    - Put second cake round on top
    - Add whip cream and cherry pie filling on top.
    -Eat!
    I may have to try this. I'm looking for a cake recipe for my mom's birthday in a couple of weeks (since she'll be visiting...yeah!). She's requested cherry and chocolate for flavors, so this would work. I also found some recipes that call for mixing cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix and then baking.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Just put together the menu for a family gathering...

App - caprese tarts and cheese/crackers.. maybe cheese straws. I don't like having heavy appetizers, because no one is hungry for the meal and I always make too much food
      Stuffed Eggplant and Four Cheese Pasta for the vegetarian entrees
      Baked Garlic Cheddar Chicken
      Summer Vegetable Tian (I think tian is one of the trendy words people like to throw around, like "ombre" and I'd prefer to call it something else)
      Roasted Mushrooms
      Potatoes Dauphinoise
      Fruit Salad
      Mixed Berry Galette
      some type of chocolate/dulce de leche tart
      vanilla ice cream to go with desserts

unrelated - these raspberry breakfast bars are delicious. I used strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries and blueberries. The crust/streusel is REALLY good. It's more like a soft granola bar than cake or shortbread.

edit: ****, I realized I made a berry galette (with cheesecake) last year. Maybe need to find something different that uses up frozen berries. A lot of things don't work with frozen (like fresh fruit tarts and trifle), since the fruit doesn't retain its fresh shape when defrosted. Might need to resort to pie.

edit2: cobbler, crumble, clafoutis! one of those should work.
      Last edited by jen; 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        Just put together the menu for a family gathering...

App - caprese tarts and cheese/crackers.. maybe cheese straws. I don't like having heavy appetizers, because no one is hungry for the meal and I always make too much food
        Stuffed Eggplant and Four Cheese Pasta for the vegetarian entrees
        Baked Garlic Cheddar Chicken
        Summer Vegetable Tian (I think tian is one of the trendy words people like to throw around, like "ombre" and I'd prefer to call it something else)
        Roasted Mushrooms
        Potatoes Dauphinoise
        Fruit Salad
        Mixed Berry Galette
        some type of chocolate/dulce de leche tart
        vanilla ice cream to go with desserts

unrelated - these raspberry breakfast bars are delicious. I used strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries and blueberries. The crust/streusel is REALLY good. It's more like a soft granola bar than cake or shortbread.

edit: ****, I realized I made a berry galette (with cheesecake) last year. Maybe need to find something different that uses up frozen berries. A lot of things don't work with frozen (like fresh fruit tarts and trifle), since the fruit doesn't retain its fresh shape when defrosted. Might need to resort to pie.

edit2: cobbler, crumble, clafoutis! one of those should work.
        can you adopt me?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          can you adopt me?
          She uses gluten and stuff, you'd never survive.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            She uses gluten and stuff, you'd never survive.
            A guy can dream. That sounds pretty

good
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Oh my god. Meat coma.

Smoked ten pounds of ribs and shoulder. Plus had another couple pounds in the beans.

Meatapolooza was a major success.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Scientists develop bacon-flavored seaweed

Somehow, I don't think seaweed wrapped steaks will work quite as well as the real stuff, but people with more imagination than I have in the culinary arts could find a lot of uses for it. It could be good in potato dishes.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Outstanding

You can serve on rolls as-is, or stir in a bit of tomato sauce at the very end, to serve on a plate alone. I don't do pasta with this dish, but you could serve over that if you prefer.

Comment

Did the Pies class, German bread, German sweets and Pastry bake-cation at Zingerman's. Made a few things I haven't made before - the Black Forest Torte was a surprising favorite. 3 chocolate sponge cake layers, with cherries and whipped cream. Very light and delicious. Also made blueberry, apple and lemon pies, hot cocoa coffee cake, angel food cake, croissants, asparagus strudel, cranberry orange muffins, ginger scones, 3 German breads, German almond cookies (which I liked, even though they had almond extract), pound cake, cream puffs and eclairs, and cinnamon rolls.

I think I've discovered the source of my bread not rising as much - I had been using kosher salt instead of sea salt in my recipes, when it called for sea salt. We'll see what happens the next time I bake some (um, it'll be a little while before I bake again )
                    Last edited by jen; 07-28-2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Next cooking project:

Re-creating Tio's Mexican Cafe's (Ann Arbor) Mount Nacheesmo.

"Mt. Nacheesmo is a 5 lb platter of nachos that was featured on the television show Man vs. Food. It is the world's largest plate of nachos. Beans, beef, chicken, pork, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, and of course, the crown of creamy queso. It can easily feed 4 to 5 adults and is intended to be shared. It is available anytime for $39.99."
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Most people here probably know this already, but those cooking shows aren't necessarily what you think they are. Here's a link to some inside scoops on how they make the food look so good & secret ingredient shows.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Most people here probably know this already, but those cooking shows aren't necessarily what you think they are. Here's a link to some inside scoops on how they make the food look so good & secret ingredient shows.
                          I saw some of that when Alton Brown did his behind the scenes episode of Good Eats.

Also... those secrets are why Rachael Ray gets her food prepped and cooked in 30 minutes. It's easy when you have a magic stove.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Found something to do with leftover steak

Also, speaking of Giada, I'm revisiting her pasta recipes, because pasta is cheap, and a quick source of carbohydrate for marathon training season.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              leftover steak
                              I am unfamiliar with this concept.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I am unfamiliar with this concept.
                                I buy strip steak from Sam's Club, and it comes 4 to a pack. So after my dad and I eat 2 steaks, there are two leftover.

Comment

Working...
                                X