Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

lubba wubba dub dub

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Or one can just use OpenOffice.
    Tried it, it's junk, IMO. And it can create confusion for those who use MS Office at work. Trust me on this, working a help desk job for the past year, you don't want the average production staffer getting confused on these things. It's remarkable, really, that with as prevalent as computers have become over the past 20 years, how many people are so truly, deeply ignorant on how to use them correctly.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Capt
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Tried it, it's junk, IMO. And it can create confusion for those who use MS Office at work. Trust me on this, working a help desk job for the past year, you don't want the average production staffer getting confused on these things. It's remarkable, really, that with as prevalent as computers have become over the past 20 years, how many people are so truly, deeply ignorant on how to use them correctly.
    Fair assessment, although I've found it at least functional for my needs. It is different than MS Office, but for basic needs, it works.

Veteran

I made a Chocolate Truffle Cake Roll last week and it turned out really well. Fun to make, too. So this week I made Lemon Cream Rolled Cake. I should've listened to Betty - I used the whole batter to make the roll, and it cracked a little bit because it was too thick. Lesson learned. Delicious lesson. I'm still giving the cake away - it's not too bad, just not as pretty as it could've been (which is the story of my baking life, pretty much).

In a funk making dinner for awhile. Mr les has very pedestrian tastes. Anyone have fairly healthy comfort food type dinners to suggest?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    In a funk making dinner for awhile. Mr les has very pedestrian tastes. Anyone have fairly healthy comfort food type dinners to suggest?
    I like the stuff at Emily Bites. Easy to make substitutions in most of her recipes for stuff you (or mr. les ) don't like or prefer the full-fat version, and I've liked pretty much everything I've tried. Good weeknight stuff - nothing too complicated or time-consuming. Are you on Pinterest?

Ellie Krieger also has lots of good recipes - and you'd never know it was healthy.

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan

Oops forgot the mushrooms ...

Tried one tonight. Only 2 of us, so I cut the recipe in half. (The cut in half recipe is below)

Hamburger Stroganoff

1/2 lb. Hamburger
    SMALL onion, diced (or half of one)
    1/2 cup mushrooms cut up into small chunks. (I use portabella)
    1 Tbsp. Worcestershire suace
    3/4 cup beef broth
    1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup sour cream
    egg noodles

Cook egg noodles while the following is going on.

Put beef, onions, and mushrooms in a pan and brown them; drain.
    Add W. sauce, cook for 1 minute.
    Add salt/pepper. coat with flour and stir for about 1 more minute.
    Add broth, stir until thick.
    Add sour cream; stir and cook until heated throughout.
    Serve over noodles.

15 minutes start to finish.

My very (bland food) picky wife loved it.
    Last edited by MadTownSioux; 10-25-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Stroganoff is on the menu for Wednesday. I think I will try this one!

jen- have been on Pinterest but it is so much eye candy I get overloaded. WIll try the other site. THanks. Not feeling terribly motivated but have to do something!

Tell meester he can start cooking his own food. See how long he holds out.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Tell meester he can start cooking his own food. See how long he holds out.
    Have a lot of stuff going on (hence the disinterest in cooking on my part).
    He has been cooking for us both lately. He has no problem doing this. It is all salt, cans, high fat etc. I like healthier foods. Not because they are healthier but because I like veggies, more Mediterranean type diet type stuff. I will try new things but have started to have some food intolerance issues which is making this more difficult. Hoping to be inspired.

Thanks jen!

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Have a lot of stuff going on (hence the disinterest in cooking on my part).
    He has been cooking for us both lately. He has no problem doing this. It is all salt, cans, high fat etc. I like healthier foods. Not because they are healthier but because I like veggies, more Mediterranean type diet type stuff. I will try new things but have started to have some food intolerance issues which is making this more difficult. Hoping to be inspired.

Thanks jen!
    Les
    Stress will cause food intolerances, I'm sure you know that though.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Les
    Stress will cause food intolerances, I'm sure you know that though.
    yup. At this point stress is causing food (all inclusive) intolerance. Hopefully a resolution will occur soon

Thanksgiving's coming up, and I think if I go the traditional turkey route, I will make Giada's turkey with herbs de provence and citrus. Worked well the last time I made it.

The only reason I'm thinking traditional is we might have company this year....
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Lucia Apologist

Alton Brown. Be done with it.

not particularly bad

I made some quick and easy, healthier pasta the other day. Chicken sausage, sun dried tomatoes, kale, pasta and a small amount of light cream sauce. Not exactly healthy, but not as bad as fettuccine alfredo and yet more filling/satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Alton Brown. Be done with it.
    I could do that, too. Now I need a few sides...
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Veteran

My Thanksgiving responsibilities -

Pumpkin Caramel Swirl Cheesecake
    Chocolate cupcakes
    Carrot soufflé
    Mashed sweet potatoes

Looking for a good carrot soufflé recipe. I had it at Busy Bee Café in Atlanta and theirs was amazing. I've wanted to make it ever since (but they don't share their recipe).
    Last edited by jen; 11-27-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    I made some quick and easy, healthier pasta the other day. Chicken sausage, sun dried tomatoes, kale, pasta and a small amount of light cream sauce. Not exactly healthy, but not as bad as fettuccine alfredo and yet more filling/satisfying.
    Yum!

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I could do that, too. Now I need a few sides...
    Sage sausage stuffing (maybe dial it up with some homemade cornbread), mashed potatoes and dripping gravy (maybe dial it up and do something like twice baked or garlic mash or even something crazy with sweet potatoes), as for vegetables and other sides, I'll leave that to the more herbivore-centrics here.

My dad has turkey day down to a science. He's just like me. He has the whole thing in a spreadsheet and has it timed out with his oven. And I'll be dammed if he doesn't always pull it off. Last year the turkey was done an hour early and it was still outrageously good

lubba wubba dub dub

So I was at my brother's farm this past weekend and he cooked steak for dinner. Good steaks from Costco, prime cut and all, but the remarkable piece to this was his knife set. He laid out the steak knives without commenting on them, and they didn't look like much, just normal steak knives. Then I used the knife at my setting and the thing just glided through my steak like it was nothing. I sincerely couldn't believe it. It turned out to be the Miracle Blade III knife set, someone gave them to him for one reason or another, and he's been just as impressed with them as I was. So I just order a set for myself. It's tough to find good knives, and I'm really hoping that the rest of the set is as good as the steak knife I used. Online reviews actually look really positive, only warning to be careful because they're just so very sharp. This might actually get me to start cooking some more complex meals that need more cutting than the basic things I prepare now. I'll find out in a few days, at least.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Thread Information