X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    I always use a grill plate on kabobs for that reason and spray it up well before putting the food on it.

I think you're a lock for that one.
    Thanks, will look into a grill plate. I could also use one for asparagus, because it makes me sad when the little spears fall to their fiery deaths.

I was going to go fancy for the dessert throwdown, because I've been in a French pastry mood, but decided on simple, but delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      Thanks, will look into a grill plate. I could also use one for asparagus, because it makes me sad when the little spears fall to their fiery deaths.
      I like the plates for those kinds of foods. Just got a couple new stainless steel ones at Sam's club to replace an old one that was flaking off non-stick. I use a basket for things like shrimp and some other veggies. Much easier than dealing with the actual grill.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        I like the plates for those kinds of foods. Just got a couple new stainless steel ones at Sam's club to replace an old one that was flaking off non-stick. I use a basket for things like shrimp and some other veggies. Much easier than dealing with the actual grill.
        I always felt like things wouldn't be "grilled" as much on a plate or in a basket, more like just cooked in a pan.

Comment

I always felt like things wouldn't be "grilled" as much on a plate or in a basket, more like just cooked in a pan.
          Well, I use a perforated plate and perforated basket so the juices still drip and flame and the smoke still envelopes the food. I agree with not using a skillet or pan on the grill. It's just a surface that is easier for smaller food to cook without falling through or sticking.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Style-64.../dp/B000WEIIOE

Comment

Quick question, if one of you can answer this tonight.

I'm trying hard to reduce sodium as best as I can. I might attempt to make baked beans with a homemade tomato/marinara-type sauce, instead of a typical baked bean or BBQ bean recipe.

Does this sound ridiculous? Have I lost my mind?
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Quick question, if one of you can answer this tonight.

I'm trying hard to reduce sodium as best as I can. I might attempt to make baked beans with a homemade tomato/marinara-type sauce, instead of a typical baked bean or BBQ bean recipe.

Does this sound ridiculous? Have I lost my mind?
              1) that sounds pretty good.
              2) You have nothing to lose by trying it.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I might do that after Deadliest Catch.

This is what I use for my tomato sauce

I've made it once, and it was very good. We'll see if I can do it again, or if I morph into Homer Simpson and set corn flakes on fire.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Unless sugar is also a concern, I would take the standard baked bean recipe and make modifications to cut back on the salt. For instance, start with low/no-sodium beans (drained & rinsed). Replace the usual bacon/ham/sausage with a teaspoon of liquid smoke flavor (which is a lot lower in sodium than the cured meats), and also add some smoked paprika to the sauce. Use no-salt added ketchup, and the lowest sodium mustard you can find. Add extra vinegar for more tang. You get the idea, you'll just have to play around with it a few times until you figure out the blends you like.

If sugar is also an issue, I would work on perfecting a tangy BBQ sauce first, using the above tactics.

Comment

Life without salt is flatter than North Dakota.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Life without salt is flatter than North Dakota.
                      No. I'm finding that there are a lot of things you can do to get around salt when cooking. Now, on some things, there's just no getting around it, but I've found a few seasonings that work well in place of salt if your hand is forced.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        No. I'm finding that there are a lot of things you can do to get around salt when cooking. Now, on some things, there's just no getting around it, but I've found a few seasonings that work well in place of salt if your hand is forced.
                        And the less salt you use, the less you miss it. Most restaurant food tastes too salty to me, and I barely need to use any salt before it makes a difference. I tend to skip the salt first (unless it's chemically necessary), then only add a little bit if it's needed. And I always buy the no salt added tomato sauce, beans, etc and don't even notice a difference.

Comment

I'd like to think that my great grandmother (an alleged Land O'Lakes aficionado), would be proud of the thin pork chops I fried up tonight, considering my mom never fried her pork chops and always used the oven.

Comment

And the less salt you use, the less you miss it. Most restaurant food tastes too salty to me, and I barely need to use any salt before it makes a difference. I tend to skip the salt first (unless it's chemically necessary), then only add a little bit if it's needed. And I always buy the no salt added tomato sauce, beans, etc and don't even notice a difference.
                            Corn, green beans, radishes, and popcorn. That sums up (mainly) the only foods I need salt with. I even gave salt up when eating mashed potatoes. Don't miss it.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Cooked quinoa pilaf style tonight, and it was actually enjoyable. Added onions, garlic, and frozen peas. My only mistake was too much s/p.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Made Monster cake for 4th of July. A childhood favorite. Also delicious now!

- 2 chocolate cake rounds (8-9")
                                - Frost the top of each round with chocolate frosting
                                - Add whip cream on to the bottom round
                                - Add cherry pie filling to bottom round
                                - Put second cake round on top
                                - Add whip cream and cherry pie filling on top.
                                -Eat!
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X