Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Quick question, if one of you can answer this tonight.

I'm trying hard to reduce sodium as best as I can. I might attempt to make baked beans with a homemade tomato/marinara-type sauce, instead of a typical baked bean or BBQ bean recipe.

Does this sound ridiculous? Have I lost my mind?
    1) that sounds pretty good.
    2) You have nothing to lose by trying it.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

I might do that after Deadliest Catch.

This is what I use for my tomato sauce

I've made it once, and it was very good. We'll see if I can do it again, or if I morph into Homer Simpson and set corn flakes on fire.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Unless sugar is also a concern, I would take the standard baked bean recipe and make modifications to cut back on the salt. For instance, start with low/no-sodium beans (drained & rinsed). Replace the usual bacon/ham/sausage with a teaspoon of liquid smoke flavor (which is a lot lower in sodium than the cured meats), and also add some smoked paprika to the sauce. Use no-salt added ketchup, and the lowest sodium mustard you can find. Add extra vinegar for more tang. You get the idea, you'll just have to play around with it a few times until you figure out the blends you like.

If sugar is also an issue, I would work on perfecting a tangy BBQ sauce first, using the above tactics.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Lucia Apologist

Life without salt is flatter than North Dakota.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Life without salt is flatter than North Dakota.
    No. I'm finding that there are a lot of things you can do to get around salt when cooking. Now, on some things, there's just no getting around it, but I've found a few seasonings that work well in place of salt if your hand is forced.
    Last edited by Hammer; 06-30-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    No. I'm finding that there are a lot of things you can do to get around salt when cooking. Now, on some things, there's just no getting around it, but I've found a few seasonings that work well in place of salt if your hand is forced.
    And the less salt you use, the less you miss it. Most restaurant food tastes too salty to me, and I barely need to use any salt before it makes a difference. I tend to skip the salt first (unless it's chemically necessary), then only add a little bit if it's needed. And I always buy the no salt added tomato sauce, beans, etc and don't even notice a difference.

I'd like to think that my great grandmother (an alleged Land O'Lakes aficionado), would be proud of the thin pork chops I fried up tonight, considering my mom never fried her pork chops and always used the oven.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    And the less salt you use, the less you miss it. Most restaurant food tastes too salty to me, and I barely need to use any salt before it makes a difference. I tend to skip the salt first (unless it's chemically necessary), then only add a little bit if it's needed. And I always buy the no salt added tomato sauce, beans, etc and don't even notice a difference.
    Corn, green beans, radishes, and popcorn. That sums up (mainly) the only foods I need salt with. I even gave salt up when eating mashed potatoes. Don't miss it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Cooked quinoa pilaf style tonight, and it was actually enjoyable. Added onions, garlic, and frozen peas. My only mistake was too much s/p.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Made Monster cake for 4th of July. A childhood favorite. Also delicious now!

- 2 chocolate cake rounds (8-9")
    - Frost the top of each round with chocolate frosting
    - Add whip cream on to the bottom round
    - Add cherry pie filling to bottom round
    - Put second cake round on top
    - Add whip cream and cherry pie filling on top.
    -Eat!

not particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Made Monster cake for 4th of July. A childhood favorite. Also delicious now!

- 2 chocolate cake rounds (8-9")
    - Frost the top of each round with chocolate frosting
    - Add whip cream on to the bottom round
    - Add cherry pie filling to bottom round
    - Put second cake round on top
    - Add whip cream and cherry pie filling on top.
    -Eat!
    I may have to try this. I'm looking for a cake recipe for my mom's birthday in a couple of weeks (since she'll be visiting...yeah!). She's requested cherry and chocolate for flavors, so this would work. I also found some recipes that call for mixing cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix and then baking.

Veteran

Just put together the menu for a family gathering...

App - caprese tarts and cheese/crackers.. maybe cheese straws. I don't like having heavy appetizers, because no one is hungry for the meal and I always make too much food
    Stuffed Eggplant and Four Cheese Pasta for the vegetarian entrees
    Baked Garlic Cheddar Chicken
    Summer Vegetable Tian (I think tian is one of the trendy words people like to throw around, like "ombre" and I'd prefer to call it something else)
    Roasted Mushrooms
    Potatoes Dauphinoise
    Fruit Salad
    Mixed Berry Galette
    some type of chocolate/dulce de leche tart
    vanilla ice cream to go with desserts

unrelated - these raspberry breakfast bars are delicious. I used strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries and blueberries. The crust/streusel is REALLY good. It's more like a soft granola bar than cake or shortbread.

edit: ****, I realized I made a berry galette (with cheesecake) last year. Maybe need to find something different that uses up frozen berries. A lot of things don't work with frozen (like fresh fruit tarts and trifle), since the fruit doesn't retain its fresh shape when defrosted. Might need to resort to pie.

edit2: cobbler, crumble, clafoutis! one of those should work.
    Last edited by jen; 07-09-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Just put together the menu for a family gathering...

App - caprese tarts and cheese/crackers.. maybe cheese straws. I don't like having heavy appetizers, because no one is hungry for the meal and I always make too much food
    Stuffed Eggplant and Four Cheese Pasta for the vegetarian entrees
    Baked Garlic Cheddar Chicken
    Summer Vegetable Tian (I think tian is one of the trendy words people like to throw around, like "ombre" and I'd prefer to call it something else)
    Roasted Mushrooms
    Potatoes Dauphinoise
    Fruit Salad
    Mixed Berry Galette
    some type of chocolate/dulce de leche tart
    vanilla ice cream to go with desserts

unrelated - these raspberry breakfast bars are delicious. I used strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries and blueberries. The crust/streusel is REALLY good. It's more like a soft granola bar than cake or shortbread.

edit: ****, I realized I made a berry galette (with cheesecake) last year. Maybe need to find something different that uses up frozen berries. A lot of things don't work with frozen (like fresh fruit tarts and trifle), since the fruit doesn't retain its fresh shape when defrosted. Might need to resort to pie.

edit2: cobbler, crumble, clafoutis! one of those should work.
    can you adopt me?

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    can you adopt me?
    She uses gluten and stuff, you'd never survive.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    She uses gluten and stuff, you'd never survive.
    A guy can dream. That sounds pretty

good

Lucia Apologist

Oh my god. Meat coma.

Smoked ten pounds of ribs and shoulder. Plus had another couple pounds in the beans.

Meatapolooza was a major success.

lubba wubba dub dub

Scientists develop bacon-flavored seaweed

Somehow, I don't think seaweed wrapped steaks will work quite as well as the real stuff, but people with more imagination than I have in the culinary arts could find a lot of uses for it. It could be good in potato dishes.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Outstanding

You can serve on rolls as-is, or stir in a bit of tomato sauce at the very end, to serve on a plate alone. I don't do pasta with this dish, but you could serve over that if you prefer.

Veteran

Did the Pies class, German bread, German sweets and Pastry bake-cation at Zingerman's. Made a few things I haven't made before - the Black Forest Torte was a surprising favorite. 3 chocolate sponge cake layers, with cherries and whipped cream. Very light and delicious. Also made blueberry, apple and lemon pies, hot cocoa coffee cake, angel food cake, croissants, asparagus strudel, cranberry orange muffins, ginger scones, 3 German breads, German almond cookies (which I liked, even though they had almond extract), pound cake, cream puffs and eclairs, and cinnamon rolls.

I think I've discovered the source of my bread not rising as much - I had been using kosher salt instead of sea salt in my recipes, when it called for sea salt. We'll see what happens the next time I bake some (um, it'll be a little while before I bake again )
    Last edited by jen; 07-28-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Next cooking project:

Re-creating Tio's Mexican Cafe's (Ann Arbor) Mount Nacheesmo.

"Mt. Nacheesmo is a 5 lb platter of nachos that was featured on the television show Man vs. Food. It is the world's largest plate of nachos. Beans, beef, chicken, pork, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, and of course, the crown of creamy queso. It can easily feed 4 to 5 adults and is intended to be shared. It is available anytime for $39.99."
    ― Franz Kafka

Thread Information