• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Looks yummy

Comment

I made Ree Drummond's French Silk Pie for Thanksgiving dessert, and it is incredible. I used a regular homemade pie crust instead of the graham cracker one, and unsweetened Callebaut for the chocolate.

I cannot possibly express the importance of using really good chocolate (the best you can afford) to make your desserts outstanding. There are some ingredients I wouldn't bother spending more on, but chocolate is not one of them.
      Last edited by jen; 11-23-2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

big cookie fail today. threw a triple batch of zimsterne in the trash. something about tripling it did not agree... could not get the consistency right, and the cookies weeped out the sides. and they were effing cutouts.

Comment

• Instant pot: worth it?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

What the hell is an instant pot and why have I seen about eight people asking about it?

It looks like a pressure cooker, crockpot and way more expensive than both.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              What the hell is an instant pot and why have I seen about eight people asking about it?

It looks like a pressure cooker, crockpot and way more expensive than both.
              It's sort of an "all in one" appliance. Pressure Cooker, Rice Cooker, Crockpot, Steamer, Saute', etc.

I bought one today on Amazon.

Comment

Why not just use your sauté pan, crockpot, or a regular pot (to replace the rice cooker function)? All three of these should be in the kitchen of every home already. A steamer basket would essentially take care of the steaming function and it doesn’t really take up much room at all.

I’m not trying to be difficult, I’m just trying to understand this fad.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Why not just use your sauté pan, crockpot, or a regular pot (to replace the rice cooker function)? All three of these should be in the kitchen of every home already. A steamer basket would essentially take care of the steaming function and it doesn’t really take up much room at all.

I even had mine for three years. Love it for pressure cooking. I make a lot of beef stews, soups, pot roasts etc quite quickly

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Instant pot: worth it?
                    I love mine, although I still use a rice cooker. If you get a deal on it I think it’s a good buy. I use mine a lot more in fall and winter for soups and stress especially using dry beans (no soaking).
                    Also helpful for cooking from freezing if you’re someone who forgets to thaw

Comment

How fast are we talking? Because while slow cookers are slower, they are just the right amount of slow for an 8-5 job
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        Instant pot: worth it?
                        Jeebus, I thought it was something out of the Alice B. Tolkas cookbook.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          How fast are we talking? Because while slow cookers are slower, they are just the right amount of slow for an 8-5 job
                          I mean if I’m home on a Saturday I can make minestrone in 4 hours in a Dutch oven, but if I am meal prepping and want to do 3 soups, I’ll use instant pot. Dump ingredients in, set to 4 mins high pressure, takes about 15 mins to reach high pressure so all in, less than a half hour. A pot roast would be like 40 mins under pressure and often tastes better than slow cooking . But I do still love slow cooking when it’s appropriate

Comment

I asked for one for Christmas mostly for the pressure cooker aspect. We have a traditional pressure cooker, but I don't love it and, even with a lot of practice, I just don't feel comfortable using it. For obscure things like pigs ears, I want that function, but also for the regular, everyday things that are made easier under pressure, like beans. We also are doing a lot more slow cooker meals, the slow cooker function allows us to have 2 meals going -- which makes the time that we are home together easier since we can just reheat the stuff that one of us has prepared during work (husband) or sleep (me).

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

One vessel to clean instead of three? I make enough of a mess cooking, sometimes just having to clean one item is appealing.

Mine is still in the box - birthday present to myself. Just haven’t had a chance to pull it out, yet.
                              I was told there would be no math...

Comment

• Originally posted by melmac View Post
                                One vessel to clean instead of three? I make enough of a mess cooking, sometimes just having to clean one item is appealing.

Mine is still in the box - birthday present to myself. Just haven’t had a chance to pull it out, yet.
                                This is why I want one.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X