Comment

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

What is detroit style pizza?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Deep dish square/rectangle.
        I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Good Gravy. I am still working on organizing myself for Turkey Day. Christmas cookies are a bit further down the road.

Comment

Crust, crapload of cheese, then sauce striped on top. Baked in a blue steel pan (like a 9x13 lasagna pan), so the cheese caramelizes on the crust.

I hesitate to call it deep dish (even though, technically, it is), because it's very different than Chicago-style, which I don't like.
            Last edited by jen; 11-11-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Good Gravy. I am still working on organizing myself for Turkey Day. Christmas cookies are a bit further down the road.
              That's what the freezer is for. Although right now, I have about 20 pounds of fruit and 10 loaves of bread in my freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                Crust, crapload of cheese, then sauce striped on top. Baked in a blue steel pan (like a 9x13 lasagna pan), so the cheese caramelizes on the crust.

I hesitate to call it deep dish (even though, technically, it is), because it's very different than Chicago-style, which I don't like.
                Yeah... more of a pan pizza than a deep dish. That was the first term that popped into my head.

Where did you have said pizza?

Comment

*heavy breathing*
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That's what the freezer is for. Although right now, I have about 20 pounds of fruit and 10 loaves of bread in my freezer.
                    The dough will be going in there soon but I don't start this early!

*heavy breathing*
                    I feel like I am intruding on a private moment....

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                      Yeah... more of a pan pizza than a deep dish. That was the first term that popped into my head.

Where did you have said pizza?
                      Made it at Zingerman's.

Comment

Made it at Zingerman's.
                        Oooh... yum!

I really need to do a class over there sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                          Oooh... yum!

I really need to do a class over there sometime.
                          Detroit Classics was really good - we did the pizza, speculaas, and a long john coffee cake. Actually, everything I've taken there is really good.

Comment

2017 cookies -

New:
                            Peppermint Palmiers. Palmiers and I have an ugly history together, so we'll see how this goes.
                            Pistachio Wreaths
                            Buttered Rum Meltaways
                            Cherry Almond Fudge
                            Gluten Free Maple Pecan Shortbread
                            Cranberry Eggnog Twirls - not this exact recipe, but close
                            Gluten Free Red Velvet Crinkle cookies
                            Cherry, Pistachio, Hazelnut Nougat - not online

Repeats:
                            Zimsterne - these are cutouts, but they were easy to work with. and my cousin loved them.
                            Hot Cocoa Cookies
                            Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal with cherries, blueberries and white chocolate
                            Gingerbread Snickerdoodles
                            Grasshoppers
                            Peanut Butter Maple
                            Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch
                            Peppermint Bark
                            Ginger Jump Ups - not online
                            Ginger Bark - not online - just chocolate and ginger

Also doing Vanilla Spiced Pecans, Eggnog Mini Cakes and homemade Nutella as gifts. And four kinds of cookies at Zingerman's.

Most likely to regret: nougat and palmiers.

And I still have no idea what I'm making for Thanksgiving, but thankfully, I don't have to cook everything this year.
                            I think you make more different types than my mom did. She did traditional types from Germany and France/ Everyone in the neighborhood looked forward to the holidays I'm sure your friends and family do also
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Lou Malnati's classic with sausage is good. The rest of Chicago-style "pizz-agna" is meh at best.

In Detroit, definitely Buddy's. Shield's is very hit-or-miss, it depends on the location & management. I have yet to try Cloverleaf (similar to Uno/Lou Malnati in Chicago, they claim to have been started by the chef who developed Buddy's square pie, then spun-off on his own). I have one "secret" local joint a short drive from my apartment, but I'd have to kill you if I told you the name... It's buried in the back of an unassuming strip mall, but always has a packed dining room and does booming take-out. I think it's as good as Buddy's, but a bit cheaper, and they have a heart-stopping garlic-cheese dip that is a must.

Jet's is passable in a pinch, but being a national chain, I think their crust tastes too much like vegetable oil and their sauce is pretty bland/industrialized.

It goes without saying, but for the love of Cthulhu, please never eat Little Caesar's - I apologize for that crap.
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-11-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Lou Malnati's classic with sausage is good. The rest of Chicago-style "pizz-agna" is meh at best.

In Detroit, definitely Buddy's. Shield's is very hit-or-miss, it depends on the location & management. I have yet to try Cloverleaf (similar to Uno/Lou Malnati in Chicago, they claim to have been started by the chef who developed Buddy's square pie, then spun-off on his own). I have one "secret" local joint a short drive from my apartment, but I'd have to kill you if I told you the name... It's buried in the back of an unassuming strip mall, but always has a packed dining room and does booming take-out. I think it's as good as Buddy's, but a bit cheaper, and they have a heart-stopping garlic-cheese dip that is a must.

Jet's is passable in a pinch, but being a national chain, I think their crust tastes too much like vegetable oil and their sauce is pretty bland/industrialized.

It goes without saying, but for the love of Cthulhu, please never eat Little Caesar's - I apologize for that crap.
                                In 2014, I saw an ad claiming Little Caesars was voted the Best Pizza in Detroit. By who?
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X