Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    New book by Christina Tosi out next week: Milk Bar Life. Is it a cookbook? Is it non-fiction? I'm not really sure, but it has recipes from her, so I'm in.
    And if the Crack Pie is any indication, everything she makes is magic.

BBQ pork shoulder was good. I think next time, instead of a plate, I'll just make sandwiches out of it.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Making French Dip sandwiches for tomorrow night.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Okay... so that whole thing about not stir-frying with your shirt off...

Pan searing some Ahi tonight sans shirt and set a steak down in the pan and the oil exploded out in every direction hitting me across my stomach. I didn't drop it. Wondering if it was wet as sometime water will cause hot oil to splatter.

Hurt like a mother ****er for about 3-4 hours and now I have about 40 little welts all over my stomach.

Luckily, no blistering and it no longer hurts so I can laugh at my dumb ***.

The dinner was incredibly yummy although I had to hold ice packs with one hand while I ate.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Protip: Oil the steaks, not the entire pan

I never use the stove unless I'm wearing a shirt and shoes.
    Michigan Tech: Now go do, that voodoo, that YOU do, so well!

Boosh Factor (4/23/16): 4.3333333333333

Sorry Dave, I had to :
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 (on MTU's 2011 coach search)
    Time to anoint the next sacrificial lamb. And if he tops .5oo once in the next five years, that will be an accomplishment.

Lucia Apologist

Dear God

Lucia Apologist

So apparently I do hockey better than the wild.

Grilled up a hefty NY strip, some homemade steak fries, and a Surly Abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So apparently I do hockey better than the wild.

Grilled up a hefty NY strip, some homemade steak fries, and a Surly Abrasive.
    Why did you grill your beer?

Lucia Apologist

You've never tried?

This isn't really cooking, but I'm having a coffee maker crisis. I've had a Keurig mini for 5 years, but recently I've felt the coffee isn't strong enough (a road trip where a Colombian friend made the coffee enlightened me, as her drip pot coffee was much better than mine - exact same coffee). I always use the my-K-Cup filter with my own coffee. I've tried changing my cream-sugar amounts 6 different ways. I changed the grind to a several different finer settings (I grind it 2 cups at a time, so it's easy to change it up). I tried using less water, but 6 oz is the minimum, and if I have to brew coffee twice to get enough for 1 cup, is that really worth it? I can't think of any other way to try and get a stronger cup. Then problem is - I've done it with the Keurig before. But I have no idea what I did. I've changed creamers since then (they discontinued my favorite - Organic Valley vanilla half and half) and I had to go to that Natural Bliss stuff - maybe that's it? Then I noticed the Keurig 2.0 has a strength control setting. But the cheapest one is $149, and you have to replace filters, and I'd have to get a new my K-cup thingy. I think my brain is going to explode; I can't decide what to do. Is there a better single-cup option than Keurig, that is quick and requires little work, where I can use my own coffee? This is of the utmost importance. Having a great cup of coffee every day would increase my general happiness.
    Don't yell at me, since I don't even drink coffee, but my wife is a fiend for good strong coffee and believes that nothing can beat the Aeropress, available from Amazon for a mere $30.

Veteran

Got the new Christina Tosi cookbook from the library and was a little underwhelmed. It's a lot of recipes from regular (i.e. non-chef) people she knows, most of them non-baking, and nothing at all like the Momofuku Milk bar cookbook. Lots of stuff using packaged food or just assembling things (blue cheese and pretzels needs a recipe?) Probably wouldn't make most of the recipes. I liked reading the stories behind the recipes, but not worth a purchase for me. Not what I was expecting.

My Mother's tip for burns☻in the ktchen: Vanilla Extract

BTW--bacon is also a shirtless/topless no-no
    GO DU !!!

Veteran

I know this is from Cooking Light, but it's really good.

Tacos al Pastor with Grilled Pineapple Salsa... using grilled pork tenderloin. I made a different version of Tacos al Pastor over the winter in my slow cooker that wasn't "light".... and this is WAY better.

I think I want to do pulled pork nachos this weekend.
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran

Made grilled kabobs with scallops the other night (and shrimp, red pepper and pineapple). First time grilling scallops - more oil next time. The grill was a ***** to clean.

I finally used up all the strawberries in my freezer... just in time for the start of strawberry season. Still have blueberries, raspberries and black raspberries.. but I have more time before their season starts.

We're having a "dessert throwdown" next week at work. I'm entering the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Pie Bars, aka The Most Delicious Thing I Have Ever Baked.

I cleaned out my pantry and made a pile of all the random crap I need to use up. I should be banned from the Indian grocery store. Or they should sell smaller quantities. Chana masala and cranberry bean salad for everyone! Hurrah! What does one do with 2 cups of amchur powder and turmeric? And why did I need not one, but TWO containers of chana masala spice mix?
    Last edited by jen; 06-19-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Made grilled kabobs with scallops the other night (and shrimp, red pepper and pineapple). First time grilling scallops - more oil next time. The grill was a ***** to clean.

We're having a "dessert throwdown" next week at work. I'm entering the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Pie Bars, aka The Most Delicious Thing I Have Ever Baked.
    I always use a grill plate on kabobs for that reason and spray it up well before putting the food on it.

I think you're a lock for that one.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    I always use a grill plate on kabobs for that reason and spray it up well before putting the food on it.

I think you're a lock for that one.
    Thanks, will look into a grill plate. I could also use one for asparagus, because it makes me sad when the little spears fall to their fiery deaths.

I was going to go fancy for the dessert throwdown, because I've been in a French pastry mood, but decided on simple, but delicious.

Thanks, will look into a grill plate. I could also use one for asparagus, because it makes me sad when the little spears fall to their fiery deaths.
    I like the plates for those kinds of foods. Just got a couple new stainless steel ones at Sam's club to replace an old one that was flaking off non-stick. I use a basket for things like shrimp and some other veggies. Much easier than dealing with the actual grill.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    I like the plates for those kinds of foods. Just got a couple new stainless steel ones at Sam's club to replace an old one that was flaking off non-stick. I use a basket for things like shrimp and some other veggies. Much easier than dealing with the actual grill.
    I always felt like things wouldn't be "grilled" as much on a plate or in a basket, more like just cooked in a pan.

I always felt like things wouldn't be "grilled" as much on a plate or in a basket, more like just cooked in a pan.
    Well, I use a perforated plate and perforated basket so the juices still drip and flame and the smoke still envelopes the food. I agree with not using a skillet or pan on the grill. It's just a surface that is easier for smaller food to cook without falling through or sticking.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Style-64.../dp/B000WEIIOE

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Quick question, if one of you can answer this tonight.

I'm trying hard to reduce sodium as best as I can. I might attempt to make baked beans with a homemade tomato/marinara-type sauce, instead of a typical baked bean or BBQ bean recipe.

Does this sound ridiculous? Have I lost my mind?
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Thread Information