This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

you are so good. I only get to bake Chocolate chip because it is the tradition for lil's team

Comment

I just baked a bunch of t-shirt shaped sugar cookies last night. It's my tradition for the Kentucky Derby. I make a bunch of colored frosting and everyone gets to decorate their cookie like jockey silks.

Although, it seems that "everyone" this year is going to be 4 people. I'm going to have way too much food, but probably the correct amount of bourbon.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Ocho de Mayo treats at work today - Tres Leches Cake from KAF. Really, really good.

Comment

Went to the store last night to buy walnuts for banana nut muffins. But they were out of walnuts, so... either banana peanut or banana cashew. Weird, but it might work.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
            Went to the store last night to buy walnuts for banana nut muffins. But they were out of walnuts, so... either banana peanut or banana cashew. Weird, but it might work.
            I find pecans to be a good alternate/improvement for walnuts. A few family members are allergic to walnuts, so I don't use them (and I typically don't like nuts messing with the texture of my breads and cakes).
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Said using an Austin Powers voice, "Nigel...it's a bit nutty."
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                I find pecans to be a good alternate/improvement for walnuts. A few family members are allergic to walnuts, so I don't use them (and I typically don't like nuts messing with the texture of my breads and cakes).
                Agreed. Pecans >>>>> walnuts. I never use walnuts in anything. Almonds and hazelnuts, maybe, if they really fit, but I generally sub pecans for any nut in a baked good.

Comment

I'm trying to find a new vegetable to add into my mix. I'm not a big veggie eater but know I really should eat more. Never been a fan of broccoli but am willing to try if I can find a decent way to prepare it. How do you guys prepare broccoli?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I'm trying to find a new vegetable to add into my mix. I'm not a big veggie eater but know I really should eat more. Never been a fan of broccoli but am willing to try if I can find a decent way to prepare it. How do you guys prepare broccoli?
                    Olive oil, Italian seasoning, and steam it all up together.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Olive oil, Italian seasoning, and steam it all up together.
                      Thanks, but I need more instruction than that. Step by step please!

Comment

Thanks, but I need more instruction than that. Step by step please!
                        2 tbl spoons of olive oil
                        3 cups broccoli
                        get a container of pre-mix "Italian" seasoning, and add to taste.

place in a vegetable steamer container - either one that's suitable for a microwave or stove top. Your choice. Timing depends upon stove and microwave power.

Comment

Head of fresh broccoli -cut the florets so they are about the same size.
                          Put in a bowl (or bag) drizzle with olive oil. You really can't screw it up because the oil will drool off it.
                          Cover bowl with plastic wrap tightly and shake vigorously so oil coats the broccoli.
                          S & P to taste if you want- I never do
                          Line jelly roll pan or rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
                          Roast at 450 for about 10 minutes or until the broccoli looks green with a bit of browning at the tips.
                          Pull out of oven, pull sides of foil up to almost tent the broccoli

Good warm, cold. Toss with a bit of pasta, add to wraps, use as a side veggie.

I do this technique with Summer squash, Zucchini, carrots, onions, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans. As long as the veggies are cut in a uniform size it works.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Originally posted by jen View Post
                            Agreed. Pecans >>>>> walnuts. I never use walnuts in anything. Almonds and hazelnuts, maybe, if they really fit, but I generally sub pecans for any nut in a baked good.
                            Okay, I'll try pecan.

And I'm excited, because I ordered Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking. Lots of great muffin recipes in there.
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

And today I found out that my place of employment is giving us a 10 lb case of Jimmy Dean pork sausage links. These are the breakfast links, too... so... get some eggs, some bread, and have brunch/brinner for days?

Comment

I'd use some of it to make what I call "Yankee dirty rice". Brown ~1 lb. meat, add chopped white onion/celery/bell pepper, saute until it starts sticking to the pan. Deglaze with chicken broth and scrape, add in a package of saffron yellow rice, along with some oregano, cayenne, and a bay leaf or two. Ensure the broth just covers everything, and return to a simmer with the lid on until the rice is done and the liquid is mostly absorbed (20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on it, because the rice will stick). Remove the bay leaves, stir it all up, and serve with hot sauce and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

The real thing would involve chicken livers, Andouille, and white rice. So this is my spin on it.

You could leave the sausages in the casing and chop them up, or you could cut through the casing and squeeze out the meat so it's like bulk sausage (which is what I buy when I make this).

Comment

Working...
                                X