This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

I'm now in my second week of working second shift, and you guys were right. I'm taking great joy in making sure I have healthy meals for myself, and letting A-hole Professional Victim fend for himself.

Besides, I'm going through my cookbooks and determining what I want to eat, and I'm **** sick of having to run it through him before I prepare it.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      I'm now in my second week of working second shift, and you guys were right. I'm taking great joy in making sure I have healthy meals for myself, and letting A-hole Professional Victim fend for himself.

Besides, I'm going through my cookbooks and determining what I want to eat, and I'm **** sick of having to run it through him before I prepare it.
      Yay you! Good strategy to live like the person is a roommate- they deal with their stuff, you deal with yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        IIRC from other recipes I've read, packaged gelatin is supposed to make up for the absence of veal, while not diminishing the "beefy" taste. I assume the (beef?) liver would make up for that.

Well, that is certainly the antithesis of every amateur, and even some pro, recipes out there.

Following that recipe with my tweaks, I found that once the loaf is cooled, it develops the "rough pâté" quality upon slicing. Hardly spreadable, but definitely mincemeat. It comes off in firm slices that can be served in a sandwich (if those are your thing - I prefer re-warmed, with ketchup or chili sauce).

Because all Internet "best/ultimate/greatest/orgasmic recipe" bloggers think they're the next Alton Brown?
        On my phone so am not going to wrangle with parsing out quotes, but to your second point can you post some pictures? I'm legit curious to see it. Absolutely shouldn't be spreadable but rather firm and would love to see how dense it is with that method. By dense I mean not "granular," if that makes sense...
        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
          On my phone so am not going to wrangle with parsing out quotes, but to your second point can you post some pictures? I'm legit curious to see it. Absolutely shouldn't be spreadable but rather firm and would love to see how dense it is with that method. By dense I mean not "granular," if that makes sense...
          Unfortunately, I have no pics, but I'd certainly be willing to do a remake in the next couple of weeks. I'd even be willing to do warm vs. cold slices, since there is always a difference between Day 1 and Day 2.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Yay you! Good strategy to live like the person is a roommate- they deal with their stuff, you deal with yours.
            And like I told you, this is a "chef-driven" home, which means I cook for myself and if you don't like it... too bad. Besides, Sniveling Little Weasel was rather uninterested in my meals, playing with his phone when it was dinner time.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

And like I told you, this is a "chef-driven" home, which means I cook for myself and if you don't like it... too bad. Besides, Sniveling Little Weasel was rather uninterested in my meals, playing with his phone when it was dinner time.
              Just tell him he can't have any. I am sure he would eat it then

Comment

At least there's one thing I know not to do: make Rachael Ray's Chicago Dog Salad.
                Reading that abomination of a recipe made me hungry for the real thing, so tonight I gave in and made my own Chiraq hot dogs. Probably the only "Chicago-style" anything that I'll admit is actually good.

Couldn't find the pickled sport peppers around here, so I subbed in pickled jalapeno instead. Otherwise, I went by the book. I even made the little cuts on each end of the dogs, so they curled up when fried (I do char-dogs - boiled hot dogs are the devil).

Comment

I know this is the cooks thread, but whatever.

Went to The Lexington tonight over on Grand. It was really good but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Cockatails were excellent but the food felt overpriced. I had a beer, a cocktail, a NY strip, and salad/side for $100 plus tip. Seemed kind of spendy. I will say I thought the steak was a little better than St. Paul Grille but the sides were average. I'm guessing that's just the going rate for a good restaurant in that neighborhood.

Though, the more I think about it, the steak was actually one of the better ones I've had in MN. Seasoning was awesome but they went past on temp. Ordered medium rare and got something around medium, maybe slightly over.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't know why I ever bought soup in a can/box when it's really easy to make. So far, I've made chili, white bean and chicken chili, lentil soup, Reuben soup (the sandwich in soup form), and a few others.

Also, ground turkey on its own can be flavorless and insipid. I'm going to make patties out of it using grated zucchini, Parmesan cheese, and Italian bread crumbs to give it some flavor.

Comment

So made my award-winning chili to the trap range today. They told me to bring it again next week

This stuff really is **** good.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't know why I ever bought soup in a can/box when it's really easy to make. So far, I've made chili, white bean and chicken chili, lentil soup, Reuben soup (the sandwich in soup form), and a few others.

Also, ground turkey on its own can be flavorless and insipid. I'm going to make patties out of it using grated zucchini, Parmesan cheese, and Italian bread crumbs to give it some flavor.
                        I bet you could get some flavor into that ground turkey by making it into another type of chili. Ground turkey is a really good and easy way to dry, unpalatable turkey. Blech.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I bet you could get some flavor into that ground turkey by making it into another type of chili. Ground turkey is a really good and easy way to dry, unpalatable turkey. Blech.
                          OK, I will put turkey chili on the menu for this week.

Comment

Making taco meat is another way to use ground turkey. Anything to spice it up.

I've also seasoned it with Italian seasoning and thrown it with red sauce (my go to is Newman's Own Sockarooni) to make a quick pasta meal.
                            I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Ground turkey... blech. I only use it in things where you can't actually taste it (if I use it at all). It always tastes a little... off.... to me.

Been on a pumpernickel kick lately - Sunflower Pumpernickel Rye in the machine. I sub pumpernickel flour for the rye (not exactly sure what the difference is, but for some reason I have a ton of pumpernickel flour).

Comment

I have a recipe for turkey mushroom burgers and I double the mushrooms and just use the turkey as protein filler. It's definitely not my favorite ground meat. (I have a recipe for Giada's turkey meatballs, but the amount of cheese means that they're not overly healthy)

Comment

Working...
                                X