Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out where I screwed up with my candy the other night. I grew a little impatient, turned up the heat, and the sugar scorched.

On that note, I checked out Joy of Cooking from the library, and I'm going to have some fun with the "Candies and Confections" section over the next couple weeks.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Found out where I screwed up with my candy the other night. I grew a little impatient, turned up the heat, and the sugar scorched.
      I have done this. It's one of the saddest things in the universe. "My children! Just a moment ago they were full of such promise!"
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I never use a recipe for chili, or most things like that. Just throw stuff together, and it always tastes good. No need for a recipe. My wife always wants to use recipes, but I've found that too many recipes aren't that good anyway. Its easier to just put ingredients together that work well together, compliment each other, and then season appropriately to taste.

A few nights ago, I made bean soup, the way my mom always makes it. I froze a ham bone, with some ham left on it, after Thanksgiving. So, pulled that out of the freezer, boiled it for 2 and a half hours. Added some great northern beans that I soaked for 12 hours, some onions, salt, pepper, and chopped carrots. Boiled it for a bit more, pulled the bones out, and the result was just about the best soup you can find. Very simple, not many ingredients, but the ham bone makes such a flavorful soup base, you really don't need to do much.
        I don't have a strong ability, or just never developed the ability, to take a taste of something and figure out what's missing. So I mostly rely upon recipes, though I will go off script from time to time, like I did with the chili. And the chili did turn out pretty good. It definitely would have had issues had I kept the seeds in the two Serrano peppers.

Speaking of which, after de-seeding the chili peppers my hands were on fire for the remainder of the day no matter how many times I washed them. Lesson learned.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

OOOOH those look good. Making them this week!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Baking requires recipes. Cooking recipes are just guidelines. Ways to remember how you made something taste good in the past.

Take my chili recipe, it's awesome. But it's different every time. I keep notes when I try something new.
            Yeah, baking is completely different. But I don't bake very often, I prefer cooking over baking. I guess when I am changing how I make stuff, I just remember it, and don't take note of it. If it is good, I'll remember, and do it again.

I actually killed it all last week with making dinner. Also made a really good seafood pasta, and an awesome homemade jambalaya, using Northern Waters Andouille.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Chicken Paprikash

Used half sweet paprika, half smoked, and also added a couple dashes of cayenne to emulate the hot kind (which is tough to find in an ordinary grocery store).

Turned out just about perfect. Next time I would salt the gravy to taste before putting the chicken back in for the oven braising portion. Also, definitely use chicken thighs instead of drumsticks - easier to eat.

Comment

Made Smitten Kitchen Brown Butter Coconut cookies for our first holiday party and they were a huge it.

Comment

• Tried making Nancy Fuller's chocolate toffee no bakes. That was a disaster. The chocolate burned in the pan, and they didn't set as cookies. I'll rework the recipe and try again later.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Tried making Nancy Fuller's chocolate toffee no bakes. That was a disaster. The chocolate burned in the pan, and they didn't set as cookies. I'll rework the recipe and try again later.
                    Try....baking them?
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

In terms of things I can do, I checked out a copy of "Joy of Cooking" from the local library, and the section on Candies and Confections just has my heart fluttering. Fudge, caramels, turtles, butterscotch, etc... all I need for those is time and patience. If you take your eyes off a candy thermometer, the sugar will go over on you.

Comment

Made this for Christmas morning - I have no idea how it tastes, but it's very pretty and easy to make - Cinnamon Star Bread
                        Last edited by jen; 12-21-2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

So last night I got home late and decided to make grilled cheese and tomato soup. A classic right? Well, a few months ago I saw some story online that said to use mayo instead of Butter. I thought, there is no way this is going to be any good.

Holy crap. I will never use butter again to make grilled cheese. It sounds crazy but it's awesome.

Tonight I classed it up a tiny bit with from scratch lasagna while enjoying a glass of red wine. I've been missing out on this whole wine thing. Makes food a lot more interesting than beer.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            So last night I got home late and decided to make grilled cheese and tomato soup. A classic right? Well, a few months ago I saw some story online that said to use mayo instead of Butter. I thought, there is no way this is going to be any good.

Holy crap. I will never use butter again to make grilled cheese. It sounds crazy but it's awesome.

Tonight I classed it up a tiny bit with from scratch lasagna while enjoying a glass of red wine. I've been missing out on this whole wine thing. Makes food a lot more interesting than beer.
                            I never knew anyone used butter until I was older. My Grammy always made it this way. For lunch today had grilled cheddar cheese and shredded spinach/arugula on Barowfsky's 12 grain bread with a smidge of honey mustard in with my Miracle Whip. Yum!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

So are you saying you spread mayo on the side of the bread that goes down on the pan? (Shudders)

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                So are you saying you spread mayo on the side of the bread that goes down on the pan? (Shudders)
                                yep and it is good

Comment

Working...
                                X