X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    2016 has been a pretty crappy year by most standards, but there appears to be hope on the horizon.

Alton Brown quit Cutthroat Kitchen, is rebooting Good Eats, and is rebooting Iron Chef America as the Chairman.
    Bummer. I love Cutthroat Kitchen. Iron Chef will never equal the Japanese version. That was a perfect program made by culture that made winning and losing real. Our cat is named Chen and my fantasy football team is named Gridiron Chefs. Allez Cuisine!

I miss Sweet Genius. Ron Ben-Israel was ideal in his role.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I miss the best thing I ever made and Tyler's ultimate.

I have most of TBTIEM on DVR and 14 episodes of TU.

I plan on pulling them off my DVR during Christmas vacation.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My hot buttered rum cutout cookies are very pretty, but it's going to be another 10 years before I make cutouts again. What a pain in the ***. Funny how it's not a pain in the *** to bake 1500 cookies and 22 different kinds... but those cutouts.. ugh. The zimsterne were also cutouts, but the dough was much easier to work with (almond meal - not flour).

Almost done. Just have the buttercrunch left. I added triple chocolate hazelnut to the list, since I had extra hazelnuts. I'm still deciding what to do with a bag of Andes' baking chips, and a bag of "salted caramel crunch".

Comment

Going to make Alton Brown's sugar plums too. I'm sure my coworkers will appreciate them...
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Hosting a family get together tomorrow for 12 -

Pan Seared Pork Medallions
            Spinach and Fontina Lasagna
            Potatoes Au Gratin
            Carrot Souffle
            Green beans with almonds
            Brioche Rolls
            Chocolate Feather Bed
            Mixed Berry Pie

Slightly concerned about the pork, as I haven't made anything like that before. And the chocolate feather bed recipe is really, really long, but I'm doing the desserts and lasagna today, so I should have plenty of time.
            Last edited by jen; 12-03-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Carrot souffle?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Carrot souffle?
                Carrot souffle. I followed some recommendations and cut the butter and sugar in half. Still delicious, and easy to make. Been obsessed with it since I had it at the Busy Bee Cafe in Atlanta last year. Best thing I ate on the trip (not this recipe, though).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Carrot souffle. I followed some recommendations and cut the butter and sugar in half. Still delicious, and easy to make. Been obsessed with it since I had it at the Busy Bee Cafe in Atlanta last year. Best thing I ate on the trip (not this recipe, though).
                  Thanks!

edit- holy crap that is a lot of butter!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    edit- holy crap that is a lot of butter!
                    It's a Paula recipe. 1 lb. of butter is the minimum for her.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      It's a Paula recipe. 1 lb. of butter is the minimum for her.
                      We joke around- 1 lb of butter means it is a recipe. More means a real recipe (referring to Swedish cooking)

Comment

Hosting a family get together tomorrow for 12 -

Slightly concerned about the pork, as I haven't made anything like that before. And the chocolate feather bed recipe is really, really long, but I'm doing the desserts and lasagna today, so I should have plenty of time.
                        Lots of compliments on the pork (I thought it was just OK) and the desserts. Chocolate Feather Bed turned out great - very rich, though. Basically four layer sponge cake with whipped ganache between layers.

And the cookies are finally done. Baked two kinds tonight (just from the recipes on the green and red Andes' chips bags). Final count: 1774, 24 different kinds. 50% given to friends and family, 44% donated to charity... the rest go to my family's Christmas (and usually there's so many left over, they get taken to my sister-in-law's family as well). And, um, some get broken and they need to be........ disposed of. No cookie baking for awhile. And no cutouts for 10 years. Minimum.

Comment

Lots of compliments on the pork (I thought it was just OK) and the desserts. Chocolate Feather Bed turned out great - very rich, though. Basically four layer sponge cake with whipped ganache between layers.

And the cookies are finally done. Baked two kinds tonight (just from the recipes on the green and red Andes' chips bags). Final count: 1774, 24 different kinds. 50% given to friends and family, 44% donated to charity... the rest go to my family's Christmas (and usually there's so many left over, they get taken to my sister-in-law's family as well). And, um, some get broken and they need to be........ disposed of. No cookie baking for awhile. And no cutouts for 10 years. Minimum.
                          We used to do sugar cutouts every year, with icing & decorations. Sadly, that stopped once I left for college in 2005. I wonder why.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post

Reminds me of my house as a kid. My mom made cookies for weeks. Dozens of shortbread all hand decorated with green food coloring in the shape of Christmas trees. I can't remember all the kinds but I remember my favorites. She also made stolen which got better as I got older. Acquired taste I guess.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I still have some crystallized ginger and some paper baking pans to use - probably gingerbread and brownies.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Reminds me of my house as a kid. My mom made cookies for weeks. Dozens of shortbread all hand decorated with green food coloring in the shape of Christmas trees. I can't remember all the kinds but I remember my favorites. She also made stolen which got better as I got older. Acquired taste I guess.
                              I've debated making stollen, but it seems very divisive. And all the reportedly "good" recipes I've seen use almond paste, which I hate.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              We used to do sugar cutouts every year, with icing & decorations. Sadly, that stopped once I left for college in 2005. I wonder why.
                              My aunt and uncle do cutouts every year. The buttered rum cookies were delicious (I used butter rum extract instead of rum), but I don't have the patience to spend so much time on one thing when I'm making 24 different kinds, and they don't survive transport very well (I don't do sandwich cookies or anything with soft frosting on it, either). I made two snowmen before I realized the little scarf was going to snap off the second it got packaged. All the pretty pictures of intricately decorated Christmas cookies are not how mine ever turn out. I threw some gold and silver glitter stars on the frosting, and called them decorated.

Comment

Haven't started making cookies yet for myself. Latest I have ever started.

Comment

Working...
                                X