This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Earlier in the week I made Alton Brown's pork tenderloin recipe but used it on a pork half loin roast. Threw a large chunk of hickory on the coals to add some extra flavor.

I grilled it on direct heat for about 3-4 minutes a side then moved it off the coals to th complete opposite side of the grill. Let it cook for 5-8 minutes more per side until it felt done.

It was amazing. One of the best things that has ever come of my grill. Just make sure to get it barely on the right side of done.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Decided to dust off my sugar recipes, such as peanut brittle and praline pecans. Unfortunately, I need to wait for a dry day, as sugar does not like humidity.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
        If you like bread and butters this is a pretty foolproof recipe. Obviously can tinker with it any way one likes but it's nails in terms of a real good stock/base recipe: http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/bread...omment-page-1/
        I am a little intimidated by the canning process. Which is silly, because I like making complicated French pastry, but... there it is. Looks like there are a lot of pictures with the recipe, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I am enjoying the little dills - they're even better this week.

Comment

Made pickled onions last night. Easy peasy. I think they are noxious, but the hubby and his side of the family they they are awesome and gobble them up. All I can say is they smell nasty when I make them and they are excited I do. Blech!!

Recipe for 2 quart jars

4 medium thinly sliced red onions (or enough to fill both jars mostly full)
          2 tsp peppercorns in each jar poured on top of onions
          4 c red wine vinegar
          8 tsp sugar

boil the vinegar and sugar until dissolved. Immediately pour over onions in jar. slide a knife up and down between the jar and stack of onions until no more bubbles come up. pour in more liquid as needed to come almost to top of jar. Put on lids. Cool and then store in fridge.

Will hold in fridge for at least 1 month.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
            I am a little intimidated by the canning process. Which is silly, because I like making complicated French pastry, but... there it is. Looks like there are a lot of pictures with the recipe, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I am enjoying the little dills - they're even better this week.
            You can easily skip the canning steps and just make them as refrigerator pickles. They'll last a few months, at least, if jarred, left to cool, then placed in fridge. I find cutting that recipe in half works perfectly for this as it almost always yields exactly three pints.
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              You can easily skip the canning steps and just make them as refrigerator pickles. They'll last a few months, at least, if jarred, left to cool, then placed in fridge. I find cutting that recipe in half works perfectly for this as it almost always yields exactly three pints.
              Made these over the weekend (as refrigerator pickles) - delicious.

Comment

Short ribs were on sale, and it was finally cool enough outside to make a basic pot-au-feu. It's pretty tough to fark that up - chop up a mirepoix, throw in any other root vegetables you like, mushrooms if you want, some herbes de provence, and enough broth to barely cover, plus salt & pepper. Add the browned beef on top. Cook low and slow for at least 6 hours, preferably 8-10. If you can see the gelatin sitting on the surface of each serving, and your lips are greasy, you've won.

Comment

Need sweet snack for no soy, no gluten. Any ideas? has be be able to sit for about 7 hours in a bag before serving.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Need sweet snack for no soy, no gluten. Any ideas? has be be able to sit for about 7 hours in a bag before serving.
                    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...cookies-recipe

At my tailgate, we call these "crack cookies". I know they are gluten free. Looks like they are soy free as well.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Trail mix.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...cookies-recipe

At my tailgate, we call these "crack cookies". I know they are gluten free. Looks like they are soy free as well.
                        The peanut butter and the Choc Chips have contain soy I will have to go search. Thanks!

Comment

Alton Brown's granola?
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Starting to think about Christmas cookies. Is apple cider considered 'Christmassy"?

Definite repeats from last year: PB Maple, Grasshoppers, Gingerbread Snickerdoodles, Hot Cocoa Cookies, Cherry Pistachio Biscotti, Buttercrunch, Peppermint Bark.

I pre-ordered Dorie Greenspan's Cookie book, since everything she does is awesome, so I expect to get some good recipes there.

Comment

Apple cider is a perfectly fine Christmas flavor. It may be a bit closer to Fall, but it's still fine as Christmas.

Edit: to be honest, are there any cookies that aren't Christmassy? I mean, pb blossoms are quintessential Christmas cookies, right?
                              Code:

Comment

I was thinking about Christmas prep too. Makes me very grateful for my freezer.

Comment

Working...
                                X