X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Turkey overall, is pretty blah.

Seriously, why does anyone like this poultry outside of sandwich cold cuts? It even sucks on Thanksgiving, brined or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Turkey overall, is pretty blah.

Seriously, why does anyone like this poultry outside of sandwich cold cuts? It even sucks on Thanksgiving, brined or not.
      For someone who ate low-fat/fat-free for a good number of years... yes, turkey is the patron bird of the low-fat crowd.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I've found ground turkey is ok for taco meat since I'm adding lots of flavor and some liquid. That's about the only thing I'd use it for.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

I have never found a good use for ground turkey. Just get extra lean beef or pork if you're worried about fat.

I've even used close to 90:10 beef in a pinch for burgers. If treated right they taste fine. Turkey just has a weird grainy texture and always comes out dry. Even if you use light/dark mixes with higher fat content.

Which is another issue. What's the point of using turkey when it has the same fat content as the beef you're using?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I have never found a good use for ground turkey. Just get extra lean beef or pork if you're worried about fat.

I've even used close to 90:10 beef in a pinch for burgers. If treated right they taste fine. Turkey just has a weird grainy texture and always comes out dry. Even if you use light/dark mixes with higher fat content.

Which is another issue. What's the point of using turkey when it has the same fat content as the beef you're using?
            Turkey has a lower calorie/Oz makeup than beef does, has always been my understanding.

I used ground turkey a few times during my weight loss period, but couldn't find a way to make it appealing. I eventually told the ladies at the fat man camp that I would just stick chicken, beef and tuna for my animal-based proteins and dam the consequences.

Still, Archer Farms' peppered turkey they sell at the Target deli is mighty tasty.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

For my next chili, I was going to use sausage. But I don't know whether to use a mild pork sausage, mild Italian sausage, or chorizo.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Chorizo. It's the most magical chili on earth when it comes with chorizo. But don't make it with only chorizo. It helps to blend it with a little beef.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My favorite chili: Beef, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili. Yes, it's from Cooking Light, but do not be afraid. I use more chorizo than it calls for (a whole package, so I don't have leftovers to use), 4 tbsp paste and 8 oz sauce instead of diced tomatoes, and all low sodium black beans instead of pinto. And no salt, because chorizo is salty enough.
                  Last edited by jen; 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    My favorite chili: Beef, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili. Yes, it's from Cooking Light, but do not be afraid. I use more chorizo than it calls for (a whole package, so I don't have leftovers to use), 4 tbsp paste and 8 oz sauce instead of diced tomatoes, and all low sodium black beans instead of pinto. And no salt, because chorizo is salty enough.
                    I'm fairly in line with this. I do a lb of ground beef (usually 93:7 in the case of chili) and a lb of chorizo. I usually dump in small can of paste (4 oz), a yellow onion diced up, two serrano peppers, two cans of low sodium black beans, two low sodium pintos, and two low sodium dark red. A bunch of chili pepper, cumin, paprika, and whatever else I'm curious to try. Agreed on the chorizo being salty enough. But I'll usually add S&P to taste. Let it stew for 4+ hours and it could feed me for a whole dam week.
                    Code:

Comment

I make my chili with approx 60/40 sirloin to chorizo (2 lbs combined) and cut the sirloin into roughly 2 cm cubes. I use only 1 can of beans, two 16 oz cans of diced tomato, onion, one 8 oz can of paste, 1 16 oz can of sauce and if I told you the spices I'd have to kill you. I miss competing in the chili cookoff at work. It's not a popular dish here overall unless it's made sweet which I cannot stand.

Comment

Decided to make red beans and rice tonight. Instead of using the turkey sausage and brown rice the recipe calls for... I'm using pork sausage and good old white rice.

And on Super Bowl Sunday, I have the 80% ground beef and chorizo ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Decided to make red beans and rice tonight. Instead of using the turkey sausage and brown rice the recipe calls for... I'm using pork sausage and good old white rice.

And on Super Bowl Sunday, I have the 80% ground beef and chorizo ready to go.
                          The beans and rice was a winner. For the first time in awhile, it felt like I wasn't eating hospital food. I actually got satisfaction from my dinner, instead of just carbs/fat/protein.

Comment

The 80% ground beef and chorizo chili was a winner. I will do that again for the next time I feel like having chili.

I also think I'll pick up some good ribeye steak this weekend and serve that with chimichurri.

Comment

I made my own buttermilk ranch dressing this past weekend. It's crazy good - way better than anything that comes from a bottle or a jar.

Recipe I followed

I only used one garlic clove and doubled the amount of black pepper (personal preference).

Comment

Does anyone have a favorite pie recipe? I need to make a pie for 3/14...'cause I'm a nerd like that, and haven't decided what to bake yet.
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X