This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Avoid a sauce for a quality cut. Salt and pepper, perhaps some garlic and butter. You'll thank me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Avoid a sauce for a quality cut. Salt and pepper, perhaps some garlic and butter. You'll thank me.

Exactly. I had NY Strip, and that was all I needed.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Ordinarily I'd agree with the purist argument, but filet mignon is an exceptional case, as it's the least flavorful cut of beef there is. I would try a reduction of some sort for next year, or if you prefer a more classic preparation, try filet au poivre.

Better yet, upgrade to a real steak like strip or ribeye.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Ordinarily I'd agree with the purist argument, but filet mignon is an exceptional case, as it's the least flavorful cut of beef there is.
          You may be correct with the "least flarvorful" comment but I couldn't disagree more with your execution and a quick Google search agrees with me. Here's one example: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5571654_beef-medallion.html

Seasoning Beef Medallions
          Avoid overpowering the relatively delicate flavor of the meat by using seasonings, marinades and sauces to enhance the flavor of the medallions without obscuring it. If you want to keep it very simple, season the medallions with salt and pepper. Optionally, you can also coat the medallions with an herbal paste made from ingredients such as parsley, rosemary, brown sugar and olive oil. Coat the meat, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for approximately two hours. Although you don't need it, you can also pair cooked medallions with a sauce such as Madeira wine sauce, mushroom sauce or a sauce made by deglazing the pan with red wine and beef stock after cooking the beef medallions.
          If you want to be more specific to the filet you'll find very few suggestions for sauces (outside a balsamic), but quite a few for simple rubs: http://www.grillingcompanion.com/rec...-filet-mignon/
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-28-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I got a fancy new stand mixer for Christmas and I can't wait to play with it. I have some stuff left over from Christmas baking (tiny M&Ms, butterscotch chips, stuff like that), so I just need to figure out what to make with it.

Comment

Enjoyed a triple chocolate muffin yesterday. Chocolate, with chocolate chips and a chocolate drizzle. Would like to learn to make that at home.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

This is a great alternative to the usual cheese/sausage/bacon-laden breakfast casseroles out there. Lots of flavor, and still healthy enough that you could eat it every Sunday.

Comment

This is a great alternative to the usual cheese/sausage/bacon-laden breakfast casseroles out there. Lots of flavor, and still healthy enough that you could eat it every Sunday.
                  That is something I would eat. I could even have it for dinner.

Comment

Making a double batch of turkey chili for this weekend. Next time, I'll try it with sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Making a double batch of turkey chili for this weekend. Next time, I'll try it with sausage.
                      Never using turkey for chili again. THAT was unsatisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        FYP, I hope.

Comment

There are a couple of times I've used ground turkey instead of ground beef that have turned out okay. One was called a Hawaiian meatloaf. The turkey lent itself well to those flavors. The other were some cheesy turkey sliders. Cheddar and blue cheeses, onions, and parsley. Those were really good.
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

FYP, I hope.
                            Yeah. Turkey's for Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              I personally have not been successful using turkey in chili, but I have had some fantastic turkey chilis before.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                I personally have not been successful using turkey in chili, but I have had some fantastic turkey chilis before.
                                My turkey chili was successful in that it provided me with carbs, fat, and protein. That's about it. In terms of flavor, it was kind of blah.

Comment

Working...
                                X