X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Brussel sprouts. Yum.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      blech. got some at the farmers' market once. roasted them with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup ("even people that don't like brussels sprouts will like these!") threw them away after one bite. my house smelled like feet for a week. didn't like the taste or texture. or smell.
      Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I’m with you
      Do you also hate cabbage and/or broccoli?

Comment

Broccoli, no. Cabbage? Yes.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Broccoli is fine, cabbage I’m not a fan
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Yes and Yes!

Some red cabbage, braised with a little pork, and some vinegar. Yum.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, broccoli needs to be cooked right. Roasted with a small amount of a reduction of sorts is my wheelhouse.

I had some broccoli down in Austin, TX prepared this way and it changed my worldview on broccoli.

Cooked to death or raw is kind of gross.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Not sure why I need to defend my tastes. I didn't say you couldn't like it. But you said I couldn't besmirch it.

Comment

Also, broccoli needs to be cooked right.
                  Broccoli is unforgiving like spinach. It has a tiny cooking window within which it is godlike, but outside that window it is offal.

Cooking those things is like brakes -- you don't do it yourself, you go to a professional.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Not sure why I need to defend my tastes. I didn't say you couldn't like it. But you said I couldn't besmirch it.
                    Not asking you to defend, I can acknowledge that you're wrong. Just wondering.

Comment

Reporting back on the Brussel sprouts recipe - it was really good. We reduced the amount of onion from 1.5 large sweet onions to just one medium onion as my fiancée doesn't much like them. She thought it was great, just as I did. I'm far from a professional cook, and it was an easy recipe to get right. My biggest issue was prepping the Brussel sprouts for cooking - halving them was far from a 50-50 affair.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It's also 85% disgusting because of the sprouts.
                        blech. got some at the farmers' market once. roasted them with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup ("even people that don't like brussels sprouts will like these!") threw them away after one bite. my house smelled like feet for a week. didn't like the taste or texture. or smell.
                        All of this. When I was a kid we were not well off. Brussel Sprouts were 2 stone for 2 shillings. uck, yuck and blech. I keep trying to see if my tastes have matured. Nope.

Comment

I will say I didn’t even notice the Brussels Sprouts in my course at travail. I consider that peak Brussels Sprouts and I decided to retire from them.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Broccoli is unforgiving like spinach. It has a tiny cooking window within which it is godlike, but outside that window it is offal.

Cooking those things is like brakes -- you don't do it yourself, you go to a professional.
                            Huh? Replacing brakes is dirt simple...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              I knew you would pop in to say exactly that.

I eat sprouts simply roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper. That said, I'm not above a healthy dash of cayenne from time-to-time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Good luck with brakes in Maine, a few winters of salt and calcium chloride, torches , cutting wheels and sawzalls replace wrenches. 2013 gmc, all 4 calipers had to be replaced, not one would move..Broke snap on Allen socket on bolts. Brakes used to be simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X