Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Chocolate peanut butter bread. Used crunchy peanut butter, and it was good.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Carne asada tacos tonight.
    Great googly moogly. These are good.

Getting a bonus for all my committee-work at the hospital and am looking to spend it on a Weber. Thinking 3 burners, but trying to decide between the Genesis and the Spirit.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Getting a bonus for all my committee-work at the hospital and am looking to spend it on a Weber. Thinking 3 burners, but trying to decide between the Genesis and the Spirit.
    I've had a Genesis for 15 years, can get parts easily, have replaced burners, ignitor, flavor bars and grills. I think the spirit is a made in China to get lower price unit. I use my Genesis all year long.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I've had a Genesis for 15 years, can get parts easily, have replaced burners, ignitor, flavor bars and grills. I think the spirit is a made in China to get lower price unit. I use my Genesis all year long.
    We were thinking of the Spirit before I got the bonus, now with the extra money, I feel like it's worth spending.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I have a 3-burner Spirit. Had a few ignition problems, but it's been pretty good.

Veteran

Been baking for a gathering with a Cinco de May theme -

gluten free vanilla cupcakes with Horchata frosting
    Pan de Elote (in muffin form) - I did these last year, and am defrosting the corn first this time
    Margarita cakes
    Mexican hot chocolate shortbread cookies
    gluten free Mexican brownies (KAF mix + cayenne)
    cinnamon churro scones (I made this up - cinnamon, caramel bits, and a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping)
    spicy pepper cheese scones (this too - 1 jalapeno, 1/2 tsp ancho powder, and tequila habanero cheese - not sure the ancho made any difference, though)
    Cocadas
    gluten free Mexican wedding cookies

Not on theme:
    Raspberry Blueberry coffee cake
    Chocolate Raspberry oat bars
    Peach cobbler muffins

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie bars were a huge fail. I used a little too much dulce de leche and they wouldn't stay in bar form and were WAY too sweet. So I toasted some pecans, ground them up, toasted some unsweetened coconut, added more mini chocolate chips, made an 8x8 yellow cake and crumbled it - and voila, dulce de leche coconut pecan cake balls. They're pretty good, but there are a LOT of them.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Chocolate peanut butter bread. Used crunchy peanut butter, and it was good.
    It was alright, but not as good as I wanted. But the crunchy PB gave me an idea. Instead of PB, just use roughly chopped peanuts. And I'll do that for the banana bread I wanted as well.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Started drinking La Croix water.

Yeah, it's the stuff of hipstering Instagramming selfie-taking Millennials, but it's actually a decent alternative if you're looking to kick soda. Zero calories, zero sugar or HFCS, and tastes passable for what it is. Liking the cherry lime flavor.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Fromage D'affinois. Carmelized onion and artichoke with Herbes de Provence. Toasted baguette.

This was my best idea in ages. Messy though.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Fromage D'affinois. Carmelized onion and artichoke with Herbes de Provence. Toasted baguette.

This was my best idea in ages. Messy though.
    Oh. My. goodness. I want some of that!

Lucia Apologist

So I took my mom out to Fogo for lunch and she sent me home with a bacon-toffee-chocolate something or other.

I think I’m approaching what it feels like to be addicted to farking fentanyl

Lucia Apologist

Oh and two things:

1. I saw Hy-Vee had dragonfruit in. I think I’m going to pick one up and see what I can do with it.

2. Hy-Vee also had white figs in. I’ve had black mission figs before but never white. Any fig aficionados out there? Skip and wait for black, or give them a shot?

wubba lubba dub dub

Anybody know the secret to applying a crumb-coating to a cake? Is it only good for certain types of frostings/icings? Is there a temperature thing going on beyond having the cake down to room temp?

Asking for a friend...
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Anybody know the secret to applying a crumb-coating to a cake? Is it only good for certain types of frostings/icings? Is there a temperature thing going on beyond having the cake down to room temp?

Asking for a friend...
    I crumb coat my cakes when doing any frosting. Put your cakes in the fridge after cooling on the counter so you can stack them and use frosting between the layers as glue. After stacking spread a thin layer of frosting around the outside starting from the top of the cake and pushing it down the sides with an offset spatula. If you have a bench scraper you can use that to evenly distribute the frosting. Put the cake in the fridge for a few hours to set the frosting, then finish frosting. One key thing is to never let the spatula that is spreading the frosting on the cake go into the bowl of frosting (use a large spoon or separate spatula to glop it on top and the smooth it with a spatula).
    I'll see if I can find the Youtube video that I like that talks about frosting.

Lucia Apologist

So I found a recipe that I wanted to try for the dragonfruit. It just happened to be vegan, raw, blah blah blah. First, those vegans might be on to something. But they’re still a bunch of goddam liars.

https://choosingchia.com/vegan-drang...eesecake-bars/

I did make a few subs. Couldn’t find rice syrup so I used honey. I think I made the right call. I used less coconut oil. This thing was already deadly enough with the coconut cream and I decided to add it slowly. It definitely didn’t need the full six. I also used Dutch-process cocoa powder since that is what I had on hand.

Now, it is legit tasty. The fake brownie base was shockingly good. I probably could have eaten that right out of the food pro. But the color is a complete lie. Absolute horsesh-t. Came out like an aged Pinot noir instead of fuchsia. She obviously used beet coloring or had access to plutonium-laced raspberries. One or the other. I know these things always end up as “NAILED IT” but this was an outright lie.

She also left out a couple of steps. It said to do the swirl right away. Lies. I should have known better. It needed to go into the fridge for 5-10 minutes. I know how to napoleon a dessert and this was no bueno.

Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So I found a recipe that I wanted to try for the dragonfruit. It just happened to be vegan, raw, blah blah blah. First, those vegans might be on to something. But they’re still a bunch of goddam liars.

https://choosingchia.com/vegan-drang...eesecake-bars/

I did make a few subs. Couldn’t find rice syrup so I used honey. I think I made the right call. I used less coconut oil. This thing was already deadly enough with the coconut cream and I decided to add it slowly. It definitely didn’t need the full six. I also used Dutch-process cocoa powder since that is what I had on hand.

Now, it is legit tasty. The fake brownie base was shockingly good. I probably could have eaten that right out of the food pro. But the color is a complete lie. Absolute horsesh-t. Came out like an aged Pinot noir instead of fuchsia. She obviously used beet coloring or had access to plutonium-laced raspberries. One or the other. I know these things always end up as “NAILED IT” but this was an outright lie.

She also left out a couple of steps. It said to do the swirl right away. Lies. I should have known better. It needed to go into the fridge for 5-10 minutes. I know how to napoleon a dessert and this was no bueno.
    There’s nothing better than making a bunch of changes in a recipe and then acting surprised it doesn’t develop as described. But of course, the problem must be that the original recipe is a lie, not that you ignored numerous parts of it for the sake of convenience or your own whims. Couldn’t possibly be your own fault, nope. Lies!

Lucia Apologist

I thought I would have a little fun with the post but I guess I went too far. I apologize for ever having offending your sensibilities. It will never happen again. And I’ll never ever make a substitution again. Especially ones that have nothing to do with the part that didn’t turn out right.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-17-2018 at 06:34 AM.

First substitution I'd make to that is to actually use some dairy, since it is a god**** cheesecake. Sorry, vegans, you don't get to use our words for stuff, make up your own. Vegan cheese is not a thing, cheese, by definition, is dairy.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

I didn’t cook, but it’s a food thread.

Had dinner at D-spot in Oakdale. Who knew that Goddam Oakdale, Minnesota was the center of the wing universe?

They should build a statue for Darrin the guy who created this place. I’ve lived in Oakdale for years and I finally got around to making it here. The hype might just be understated.

Thread Information